Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on 150 DPS Splash Damage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Default Thoughts on 150 DPS Splash Damage

I must say, i really like the new map.

Nice mobs, good pacing, no death traps, fairly balanced baddies. Over all I think it is in my top five favorite maps to play. Could do with making the blue aliens just a touch badder.

But I think that the new DarkMatter Cannon is simply too pwerful. :toungue-in-cheek: Splash Damage with 150 DPS* is just plain nuts.

I am constantly amazed that more Mandos don't use the cannons. I think i was the only toon ever to play more than five maps in a row with a cannon in Volera. With the custom Eye of Zure and a clump o baddies you could kill three scorn at a time at least. Someone please enlighten me.

Why don't more commandos use these baws weapons??? I was even giving them away to good players last update just to feet em hooked. Sigh.

If two or three good mandos ran the Hive map with cannons and good crowd control skills it would be holy terror. The AI for the aliens is very crowd friendly, with the exception of the face huggers who run around. Just do it. Please don't simply grab a shield and stand back and PEW PEW like Opps (no offense to Opps). Commandos have a great AOE skill set and a good Mando can direct traffic with no problem.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to doing some runs, rushing from the door to the boss room just for fun and eating stimpacks like tic-tacks. Thanks STS. You can keep the pinks ;p

* (includes optional DMG implant, sold separately, no purchase necessary, offer subject to change without notice, not valid in all states, void where prohibited, see store for more details)
    Last edited by TsunamiTheClown; 07-24-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    <- design by Pianowizzy
    CHOWNis - 41 Commando | Nachownis - 25 Operative Twink | Chownisis - 39 Killa

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TsunamiTheClown For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

Used to use the cannons back in early SL days...now they simply don't provide enough defense.
    I play on chrome, and it's a pain to spam stim packs while trying to round up enemies that knock off 1/5 of my HP a hit...buttons just aren't laid out the right way for that.

However, I was considering switching back to the cannon...when I could afford one (Sad day indeed).

REVERSE-HOWEVER, it seems to me that people don't grasp the concept of crowd control for commandos...and just spam their skills. Makes the cannons almost useless when the mobs refuse to stay clustered. You get the equivalent of a PL scatterbear with people using singularity comboed with the Ops Lurch...just breaks up the mobs and defeats the purpose of the cannon. No luring...no teamwork...just skill spammers and my death tally increasing (went over 100 the other day...was a dark moment).
    Last edited by Flowman; 07-24-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

When I use my com I always use a splash dmg weapon, problem is that I actually get booted from games because I use it or get scolded..
    You get comments like: you don't do enough dmg or you don't have enough def.
    Ppl are ignorant of the splash dmg effect.. that although the dmg is a bit lower.. you hit more mobs and thus actually do more dmg then the shield wielding pew pewers.
    Plus the fact that you actually aggro more then 1 mob making life easier for ops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    351 Posts

+1, I Believe sts have boosted the legendary weapons that are suited for each class to work out fair against the legendary pistol and shield combos that everyone use. That way its perfectly acceptable to use your class weapon now.
    "Still Retired but casually dueling in PvP from Time to Time"
    EXTREME BOSS SLAYERS Are Back!
    Wanting a signature? Send me a Pm (SL credits only)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitchturbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't often comment, but I have been playing since launch and this one strikes a nerve for me.

Higher DPS from a cannon is what I've been wanting all along.

I have loved cannons since the beginning. Exion is right. I have been repeatedly booted and openly mocked for using one. In town I will get random tells which are usually not pleasant. And often in a game, I will get tells from inquisitive players wanting to know why I would use such low dps, etc etc. The in-game tells cause a back and forth dialogue that makes it difficult to play and, quite frankly, is just upsetting.

Many many players genuinely have No Idea that cannons do splash damage. People just look at DPS and think you are incompetent.

I now hide my stats, and it seems to have helped. Sad. Very sad.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrachenVogel For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

I am commando. I use shield and pistol combo only because I go nuts on skills and I need all the defense I can get running pugs.

I usually use graviton slam, to taunt and slow. Then singularity to push as they mob up on me, right after, I trigger gravity well which pulls them back on top of me, then stomp for the knock down and then take a couple steps back and hit graviton again. Every enemy is on top of me at this point, so as you can guess between these moves and taking a shot here and there, I am tapping reds and blues pretty much, well, alot. Sometimes poping over to the second skill set and hitting increase mass, nebula, and growing rage while they are on top of me, but mostly the first skill set because I have all the enemies moving like the ocean at the beach.

My purpose is to direct all attackers on myself so ops and engineers can do their thing, and hopefully I am playing in a group that understands what I am doing by becoming the target for all enemies.
    Ops can pick off and single out, engineers can attack and heal, (although, honestly, engineers heals don't help a whole lot when 5-10 enemies are on top of you lol!).

Although the damage is there, I died more often and felt like I didn't have the mob control with a two handed and a damage implant vs. a gun, shield, and armor implant. Like this one comm, op, and engineer, and 2 of any combination of op and eng works well, although a little heavy on the stims for me, which is ok, I can afford it
    Last edited by KillaSkillz; 07-24-2012 at 12:47 PM.

KillaSkillz- my guess 8312

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

I've stuck to the cannon even with the shield combos because I knew I'm better with them. I find it strange that you are getting booted and mocked at for using a cannon while I'm just leading the group with my cannon and taking all the damage. The only comments I get are about the Ursan Helmet I wear around town

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

I'm curious as to how fast a couple cannon equipped coms and the rest of the team equipped with the pulse cannon would rip through the hive. AoE party!

-----
    Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts

3 commandos and 2 engineers would be pretty fun...if the commandos worked together and didn't counter skills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Take heart my fellow Coms. I believe that there is a coming revival of Cannonisim.

I just may start booting every Commando who doesn't use a cannon as a terrible retribution for the past grievances committed against our splashy kind.

We need to get the gospel out about the virtues of an oft maligned tool in the arsenal of the true commando.

I could go on

PS. JK about the booting
    PPS. JK about the JK
    PPPS. JK about the JK about the JK
    PPPPS. JK about the JK about the JK about the JK
    PPPPPS. Are you still with me?
    <- design by Pianowizzy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I do seriously believe that sl is heading back towards class specific weapons...which is great in my opinion...I never used a cannon except when i was lvl 1. Rifles and pistols were always better for me. But on engi I always use hand blasters! Its my favorite.

Jumping through those holes in time and space
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

For my comm I pretty much used a cannon until Voleria [except Slouch-O... I beg mercy] and only use the shield because my concern as a commando is stayin alive [<--click] and keeping the aggro for as long as possible [which I make sure I begin by running in first.... +gravity] -- to add to the fact that I'm relatively stingy about stims.

I did freaking love the splash damage of cannons though and a high DPS cannon? I looked at this new legendary weapon and I went ZOMG DO WANT
    Last edited by PianoWizzy; 07-24-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Let me explain the lateness of signatures with a page of my homework.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Okay my chow buddy i respec'd my mando back to aoe monster. As soon as i get a good pink cannon i ready to roll with you. I was basically spec'd for pvp so basically i was an op in mando armor is why i was running shield nova combo. Was siick for solo runs with an unbuffed armor at 1018 and health at 936 with custom batltleshell and platinum armor implant.

Since i no longer have custom armor will run with platinum armor to give me the higher mana, to-hit % and much higher critical. Also switched to dmg platinum implant. Will be sick aoe beast once i get a good cannon. Stocked up on stims and pots as well .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Hand View Post
    Okay my chow buddy i respec'd my mando back to aoe monster. As soon as i get a good pink cannon i ready to roll with you.
    Sounds great! Lets get a real gang of Cannon toting folks and do this.

*see chow for a pink cannon
    <- design by Pianowizzy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

psh... dps = dont party sober. i like dps so thats what im sticking with.
    System & others love me ;] U jelly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I dont use cannons for the extra armor that sheilds give and before that i chose whatever weapon dealt more damage. So i usually switched between cannons and rifles. I am totally aware of the splash damage that cannons give but after lv27 they seemed useless to me and i stuck to heavy pistols cause thats where commandoes needs to be if they go with shield combo.

Shoes are shiniest when the day is dull
    Garvhoz- lv40 commando/lv16 warrior/lv? bear

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenokills View Post
    psh... dps = dont party sober. i like dps so thats what im sticking with.
    Well thats cause you have mad AOE (action on evenings). _bam_

But strap on the cannon and run some PUGs (no comment) with us. XD
    <- design by Pianowizzy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Im always crowd control specced and rocking a nice cannon myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

All i have to say is SP comms =AOE nightmare RAWRRRRR TARE SMASSHHH

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Taresafoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

It's awesome that STS is finally releasing some weapons that are pushing people back toward class weapons again. I've been a cannoneer and rifleman for my whole SL career, and am thrilled that the new weapons are make those load outs awesome again. I'm only a little sad about it, because now it mean I'll have a harder time picking them up for a song like I used to. I've tried pistol+shield as commando, and found it works great for tanking bosses (the only enemy cannons seem to have trouble with), but hate that it gets used for everything, especially given that commandos have a skill for +300 armor. It's thrilling to think cannons (and maybe even rifles) might finally make a comeback.