Thread: Next gen bow bears

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

If you think about it, if a bowbear doesn't crowd control, seriously, what skills does he use? 0.0

If he's a bow bear, meaning ranged attacks, the ONLY skill you can use is Beckon that has the furthest range. HS / Taunt don't have that much of range.

So what, he pops Rage and just normal attacks? 0.0 LOL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    If you think about it, if a bowbear doesn't crowd control, seriously, what skills does he use? 0.0

If he's a bow bear, meaning ranged attacks, the ONLY skill you can use is Beckon that has the furthest range. HS / Taunt don't have that much of range.

So what, he pops Rage and just normal attacks? 0.0 LOL!
    As strange as this may sound, I have seen bears tell me that their job is to spam vengeful and super mega smash, along firing with their main weapon. Don't expect these types of bears to taunt, beckon, or stomp. They will not run with the group and and often hang to the rear, forcing the rest of the team to hold the aggro. On the plus side, you will see hell screams though and crushing blow against bosses. However, they will not attempt to hold the aggro of a boss. To be entirely honest, I don't really mind having these types of bears when I host. They are quite common nowadays. At the very least, they have rage and all of their slashes maxed out, so they can do a reasonable amount of damage.

Far more annoying are the bears that don't know how to use stomp. The first category are "stomp bears". They run with the party (sometimes in front, although more often with the rest of the party) and spam stomp as fast as it recharges. This scatters mobs all over the place. Why this is a problem needs no explanation. The second category are the "smash bears", which beckon then stomp (and they never do this into a wall). They usually run with the party, beckon, then stomp, sending them all over the place. Better I suppose than stomp bears. With smash bears, if you can time your attacks (lightning, hot flash, cruel blast, and thorn root) with the beckon and hit them while the mobs are together, you can do a lot of damage.

Neither of the 2 categories above is receptive to the idea that they should beckon towards a wall, run in the opposite direction of the beckon towards the middle, and stomp the targets into the wall. The majority are also unwilling to lead the group, so whenever I play, I usually just find myself leading. I think most players when not playing as bear reading this should anticipate that they will be leading. For archers, use the videos in "How Physiologic Plays" for more information on how to do this. Although you won't be able to deal as much damage with the GCD, the idea is the same. Mages should basically run in front, get into the middle of a mob, debuff, then nuke.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 06-13-2011 at 03:55 AM.