Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nox Bolt Box

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Default The Nox Bolt Box

The purpose of this one is to inform fellow Nox Bolt users on the proper player positioning to untilize in order to get the maximum effectiveness out of the subject skill's damage capabilities. I like to call it "The Nox Bolt Box". The tipical bow user's basic tac is to first: "Don't get hit, stay on the outside" and second: "Circle the mob to keep the agro rotating". The Pro's tac is first: ......thats another thread. Back on topic, the key to Nox is NOT to circle the mob while releasing the skill, but rather looking at the area around the mob as a "box". Releasing a charged Nox on the four equal sides of the mob insures the DoT stacks on every enemy. If you circle, you run the risk of impacting the same group due to skill cool down time vs average player movement speed. During testing, the only exception to this tech are those very dense mobs from "pro pulls" in areas such as Leet Lost Mage Mine. In those cases you're going to have to get on the inside for one release to keep the whole mob bleeding those red numbers. So, Charge, STOP, release, cycle through other skills on your way to the other side of the box...repeat. This is effective if you have at least one other skill that has a two sec cool down...which we all should have...AS of course. Veil, RS, Traps...etc can be worked in...with practice. Remember, "If it feels uncomfortable, then you're prob on to something" (;
    Last edited by Zuzeq; 07-30-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    The Collective - Toa Aiga

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zuzeq For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

I'm doing it wrong

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Agreed!

The most effective use of Nox is to imagine a kill box (due to the Nox radius). You are attempting to keep the kill box in a poisoned state all the time to maximize the effectiveness of Nox, and to ensure that the maximum number of targets are being affected.

A Nox on a single target is pointless. Nox on a group, especially groups snared in Time or Traps is most effective.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Does nox have a fixed limit to the number it can hit or is it simply based on density?

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

No, there is no fixed number, at least I have been able to affect as many as 6-8 with the poison, so I would presume that it can affect as many as you can group into the impact radius.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

So, assuming I can work this out and actually figure out how to change the muscle memory in my fingers from the last 30k kills or so and I swap out to nox bolt for elite trash mob kills.

I want to make sure I understand this correctly:

A mob of MOBS - I get confused when people use the word mob in its proper definition and context, when many mmo players refer to a single mobile NPC as a mob. So for the sake of not confusing myself or anyone else, if I use the word mob i am referring to a single target.

So, we have the tank pull to a corner or wall etc... Nox rogue runs in, slaps down smoke, runs out (all the while spamming autoattack and aimed shot (uncharged))... then from say the Southeast corner of the battle, fires a charged nox bolt.

Runs to the West, Fires a charged nox bolt at the Southwest corner?

Runs to the North and fires a charged nox bolt from the Northwest corner?

Runs to the East and fires a charged nox bolt from the Northeast corner?

All the while spamming aimed (uncharged)... Smoke... and shadow pierce? I'm guessing that's what I'd spec if I went full bow.

Consume mana pots, rinse repeat?

<Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

It all depends on the size of the mob that you round up. For two or three together, I charge up Nox, charge Aimed, uncharged nox, uncharged Pierce and just get down and dirty with the 3 hit combo (Aimed, Nox, Pierce). I rarely bother with repositioning for a relatively small group.

For large groups, if I a soloing, I charge Nox, do my triple combo and clear out to the other side of the mob - this effectively groups the mobs together, then rinse and repeat. In the scenario of a large group, Nox does the primary damage with Aimed and Pierce doing single target damage. This is probably the only way that a Rogue can solo Elite Rooks Nest without too many deaths.

Now, if you have a good tank, just spam away and don't bother on the repositioning, instead rely on your tank for shielding and crowd control. Mix in the occasional charged Nox to keep the poison damage going. Your primary focus, when in a good group, is quickly eliminating single targets, focusing on ranged mobs first (bow and mages) and the enemy tanks second.

Nothing makes me crazier than a dozen mobs attacking, all with <20% health!

Personally, I would only do a respec on a free respec weekend. Everyone is pretty high on razor builds, and I tried it, but I've just come to accept that my playstyle doesn't work well with razor....well, that and the fact that I like PvP as much as I do. You will probably come to the same conclusion that I did - you like your current build. No sense in blowing 10 plat to learn that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Does nox have a fixed limit to the number it can hit or is it simply based on density?

I think the "Official" number of effect is six, but I have seen more when releasing into a Trap pulled mob.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I' pretty sure that I have landed as many as 8 (I think)- it's hard to round up more than that into less than 6 meters though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zuzeq View Post
    I think the "Official" number of effect is six, but I have seen more when releasing into a Trap pulled mob.
    Just tested on some grouped low levels and it seemed to be limited to 6, but not sure. Really curious, as that could really change things.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Just tested on some grouped low levels and it seemed to be limited to 6, but not sure. Really curious, as that could really change things.

True enough brother.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zuzeq View Post
    True enough brother.
    It goes against my attrition strategy for elites but I am thinking I can't pass it up because some initial testing says ... it IGNORES ARMOR!!!! No wonder it tears up elites while being so sub-par in normal.

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    It all depends on the size of the mob that you round up. For two or three together, I charge up Nox, charge Aimed, uncharged nox, uncharged Pierce and just get down and dirty with the 3 hit combo (Aimed, Nox, Pierce). I rarely bother with repositioning for a relatively small group.
    I very rarely find myself in a position of fighting two or three mobs at once (again using mob as singular mobile NPC) and having to kite, but I can see how this is effective - I use the same tactic to position a trap or get the melee mobs into position to hit them both with one autoattack from the dagger

For large groups, if I a soloing, I charge Nox, do my triple combo and clear out to the other side of the mob - this effectively groups the mobs together, then rinse and repeat. In the scenario of a large group, Nox does the primary damage with Aimed and Pierce doing single target damage. This is probably the only way that a Rogue can solo Elite Rooks Nest without too many deaths.
    I don't try to solo Elite Rooks Nest - but kiting would be the right way to do it...

Now, if you have a good tank, just spam away and don't bother on the repositioning, instead rely on your tank for shielding and crowd control. Mix in the occasional charged Nox to keep the poison damage going. Your primary focus, when in a good group, is quickly eliminating single targets, focusing on ranged mobs first (bow and mages) and the enemy tanks second.
    Even with a bad tank this is pretty much it... I agree that if you're not a melee rogue - you need to be taking out the heavy hitters first, mages and archers first.

Nothing makes me crazier than a dozen mobs attacking, all with <20% health!
    Uhm - I'm sure you can think of something if you try real hard

Personally, I would only do a respec on a free respec weekend. Everyone is pretty high on razor builds, and I tried it, but I've just come to accept that my playstyle doesn't work well with razor....well, that and the fact that I like PvP as much as I do. You will probably come to the same conclusion that I did - you like your current build. No sense in blowing 10 plat to learn that.
    I'm with you - but I love to change things up and try new things every so often... I guess when expansion comes and I get that next skill slot I'm sure to add the range upgrade to nox and give that a shot for a bit using the nox kill box strategy... Hey that's what you should call this Zu! The NOXBOX

<Elite Runners>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

I am sure you NoxAHolics know this, but I had to test it for myself. Conclusion, 10% damage upgrade = TOTALLY WORTH IT!

HunnySniper - HunnyStorm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

I believe Nox can hit of a max of 6 targets. The upgrade says so, but of course, there's always the chance of it being wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alrisaia View Post
    I'm doing it wrong
    It looks like I was doing it wrong too xD
    IGN: Sariita/Sariibites - AL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

It goes against my attrition strategy for elites but I am thinking I can't pass it up because some initial testing says ... it IGNORES ARMOR!!!! No wonder it tears up elites while being so sub-par in normal.
    Of course it ignores armor. It's poison. The bad guys breathe it in silly. They don't have respirators on!

O.o
    Hehe

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wvhills For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wvhills View Post
    Of course it ignores armor. It's poison. The bad guys breathe it in silly. They don't have respirators on!

O.o
    Hehe

Real life laugh out loud^

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zuzeq For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

I watched the Noxbox in action last night Zu and I went duo for antee and stood around after she died for a good 20 seconds talking before we realized we didn't stop the clock... stopped it at 4:30 or so. Not bad for a couple of noobs :P

<Elite Runners>

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Alrisaia For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alrisaia View Post
    I watched the Noxbox in action last night Zu and I went duo for antee and stood around after she died for a good 20 seconds talking before we realized we didn't stop the clock... stopped it at 4:30 or so. Not bad for a couple of noobs :P

Yup, just how i like my roller coasters..fun and fast. Remember, think INSIDE the box (;