Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curse - clarifications please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Default Curse - clarifications please

It has come to me that Curse is an interesting skill how it was set up. I would like some clarifications from any dev to explain the role of Curse and what it really does - in depth.

It seems that different skills reflect different percentages of damage. Skills like Frost (without DoT), Lightning, Nox Bolt (without DoT) reflect ~40% dmg, while Fireball (without DoT) reflects ~60% dmg, and Shadow Pierce, Aimed Shot reflects ~5-15% dmg.

As far as skills that do DoT (damage over time), Timeshift does ~1000% dmg reflected, Nox bolt does ~200-400% dmg reflected. What seemed weird was that when the opposing mage (that used Curse) put on shield, the dmg reflected by curse seemed to multiply by 2 thus reflected 2000% dmg on Timeshift, which shouldn't be right because when shield is activated, you're supposed to take less damage so the damage reflected should be less.

And when you cast Curse on the opponent, the red debuff armor symbol showed up, yet it doesn't seem to debuff your armor. I remember it meant that the damage reflected from Curse ignored armor? It also seems like DoT attacks and attacks that are very quick to each other (like the maul proc or the extra hits on Lightning) also deal extra reflected damage.

It would be nice to hear from someone who can explain the mechanics behind Curse since all these numbers seem so wrong. Thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Nice question (y) (y)
    it happens a lot, get curse and use timeshift, instant kill -_-
    Even the aimed that did high crit doesn't get instant kill.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kreasadriii For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kreasadriii View Post
    Nice question (y) (y)
    it happens a lot, get curse and use timeshift, instant kill -_-
    Even the aimed that did high crit doesn't get instant kill.
    This is very true. When I use Timeshift while cursed, I die in 1-2 seconds. But when a rogue hits a 4k critical hit aimed shot, it only reflects about 5% of their HP which is barely noticable at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    This is very true. When I use Timeshift while cursed, I die in 1-2 seconds. But when a rogue hits a 4k critical hit aimed shot, it only reflects about 5% of their HP which is barely noticable at all.
    well i used to think that when someone was cursed and they attack you with any attack they lose the amount of dmg you deliver. So if you have 500dmg and a rogue aim shots you thepy will take 500 dmg. If you get hit with timeshift every time you are hit (dmg over time) yourr cursed opponent will take your dmg amount 500.
    This is how it seems to work though ill preform a test on it.

Caabatric. The one nub sorcerer you wont forget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caabatric View Post
    well i used to think that when someone was cursed and they attack you with any attack they lose the amount of dmg you deliver. So if you have 500dmg and a rogue aim shots you thepy will take 500 dmg. If you get hit with timeshift every time you are hit (dmg over time) yourr cursed opponent will take your dmg amount 500.
    This is how it seems to work though ill preform a test on it.
    That's not how it works. Curse reflects a certain percentage of the damage taken. Though the question here is why are those percentages different for different skills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

I think we need to test timeshift without countdown of pain.

Just a reminder, this was the last dev clarification about curse

Quote Originally Posted by Swede View Post
    Curse takes the targets damage, not the damage output of the ability that he just used, but his damage (base damage plus stat increases from equipment etc), multiplies that by another number, depending on if you charged the ability, what upgrades you have etc and then every time the enemy that's cursed uses any ability (including base attack), he takes that number in damage. It also ignores armor.

Since it scales with the enemies damage, it should definitely scale as they grow in levels. My numbers on it might have been a bit low for a first pass though so I'll probably buff it a bit. I have to be careful though because remember that monsters won't stop attacking, like players might, so it can do a lot of damage to them really fast if they are hard hitting enemies with a high attack speed.
    'high attack speed' i think thats what we see on countdown of pain, low dot but very fast so that why curse reflects back insane.

'hard hitting enemies' that should be the maul proc, mauler warriors got high damage on stat screen and curse based on this i belive "Curse takes the targets damage, not the damage output of the ability that he just used, but his damage (base damage plus stat increases from equipment etc)" but then should be reflect aimed shot also more, not just around ~10%
    Last edited by Haligali; 09-02-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haligali View Post
    'high attack speed' i think thats what we see on countdown of pain, low dot but very fast so that why curse reflects back insane.

'hard hitting enemies' that should be the maul proc, mauler warriors got high damage on stat screen and curse based on this i belive "Curse takes the targets damage, not the damage output of the ability that he just used, but his damage (base damage plus stat increases from equipment etc)" but then should be reflect aimed shot also more, not just 10%
    So another question would be, why does DoT have way higher damage reflected than normal non-DoT attacks? Although they the DoT from Timeshift does hit at a very high speed, it's barely anything compared to a 4k crit from aimed shot. Yet the DoT kills ridiculously faster and reflects more than the aimed shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

So another question would be, why does DoT have way higher damage reflected than normal non-DoT attacks? Although they the DoT from Timeshift does hit at a very high speed, it's barely anything compared to a 4k crit from aimed shot. Yet the DoT kills ridiculously faster and reflects more than the aimed shot.
    It seems that speed is the most important component of the calculation. You remember yesterday we tested on a rogue who got rising death subskill on his shadow pierce, curse took his half hp while he do much less damage on me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Hm

Quote Originally Posted by TuMadreee View Post
    *Also, if a sorc makes a rogue in PvP cursed, will a critted aim shot kill the rogue instantly? I'm confused
    No, the Rogue will take the same amount of damage from Curse as if they had just used their basic attack. It's not dependent on how much damage they (the Rogue) actually did.
    We have to think about curse in another point of view. Ignores armor and based on the targets damage, not the damage output, so its more of a pressure on warriors in clashes, instead of rogue liquidating skill.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    584 Posts

Good food for thought, also - is curse target specific? Does it reflect only if the attacks of the cursed opponent hits the mage and not a teammate/Trulle etc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alhuntrazeck View Post
    Good food for thought, also - is curse target specific? Does it reflect only if the attacks of the cursed opponent hits the mage and not a teammate/Trulle etc?
    Yes, so a high hp is recommended for a curse type build.

I think we all wrong, curse does NOT reflect back damage.

No, the Rogue will take the same amount of damage from Curse as if they had just used their basic attack. It's not dependent on how much damage they (the Rogue) actually did.
    So the target will TAKE damage based on his damage stat, not depended what damage he did. He will take the same damage after a -10 dot or after a -2000 aim shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Did anyone ever experiences this in PvP:

You put a Tiemshift to your rogue enemy, he is under your Timeshift and stuck there.
    Then a mage (enemy) came to you and curse you while your Timeshift still did DoT to the rogue?

Q1: Curse still work and did much damage even after you put your Timeshift 5 seconds ago? (only the DoT then, right? Didn't get the first damage while Timeshift dropped)
    Q2: If DoT did much damage as my Q1, it could make ice and fireball give more damage while you get curse? (1 Timeshift do more damage than 2 skills combo such as Ice & Fire then?)
    Q3: Ice & Fire have DoT too, is it not equal to 1 DoT from Timeshift?
    Last edited by Kreasadriii; 09-02-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Yes, so a high hp is recommended for a curse type build.
    Why would high HP be recommended? According to Swede, the damage taken from Curse depends on your (the curser's) base damage, so by adding more STR points, you lose more dmg thus making the damage output from Curse less?

Quote Originally Posted by Kreasadriii View Post
    Did anyone ever experiences this in PvP:

You put a Tiemshift to your rogue enemy, he is under your Timeshift and stuck there.
    Then a mage (enemy) came to you and curse you while your Timeshift still did DoT to the rogue?

Q1: Curse still work and did much damage even after you put your Timeshift 5 seconds ago? (only the DoT then, right? Didn't get the first damage while Timeshift dropped)
    Q2: If DoT did much damage as my Q1, it could make ice and fireball give more damage while you get curse? (1 Timeshift do more damage than 2 skills combo such as Ice & Fire then?)
    Q3: Ice & Fire have DoT too, is it not equal to 1 DoT from Timeshift?
    From what Hali and Swede is saying, is that since the DoT from Timeshift is very rapid (extremely rapid), it seems to cause more damage than slow DoT from Frost or Fireball for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Why would high HP be recommended? According to Swede, the damage taken from Curse depends on your (the curser's) base damage, so by adding more STR points, you lose more dmg thus making the damage output from Curse less?
    Because if you want your curse to do lot damage, you need to take damage also from his attacks. Its better to have lot without the risk of dying.

No, the damage depends on the targets damage, read that comment again.

"Curse takes the targets damage, not the damage output of the ability that he just used"

So if you use high HP build with low damage thats even better against curse.
    Last edited by Haligali; 09-02-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

From what Hali and Swede is saying, is that since the DoT from Timeshift is very rapid (extremely rapid), it seems to cause more damage than slow DoT from Frost or Fireball for example.
    Yes and your curse takes damage after every attack, every -10 dot from the countdown of pain he will take damage after his base damage.

What im trying to say, we were all wrong, curse does not reflect back damage(the 'reflect' word doesnt appear in skill description, nor in developer comments) , curse will do the same amount of damage after every attack, doesnt matter if its -10, -30, -40 dot or a - 2000 aimed shot.
    Last edited by Haligali; 09-02-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Yes and your curse takes damage after every attack, every -10 dot from the countdown of pain he will take damage after his base damage.

What im trying to say, we were all wrong, curse does not reflect back damage(the 'reflect' word doesnt appear in skill description, nor in developer comments) , curse will do the same amount of damage after every attack, doesnt matter if its -10, -30, -40 dot or a - 2000 aimed shot.
    So why does the damage differ from each skill? Remember we tested some skills dealt more damage than others?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

So why does the damage differ from each skill? Remember we tested some skills dealt more damage than others?
    Huh did we switched gear meanwhile i dont remember. Need few test more, i wanna test combos too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Huh did we switched gear meanwhile i dont remember. Need few test more, i wanna test combos too.
    Remember Lightning and Frost did about 40%, while Fireball did 60%, and Aimed Shot and Shadow Pierce did 5-15%?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Remember Lightning and Frost did about 40%, while Fireball did 60%, and Aimed Shot and Shadow Pierce did 5-15%?
    Yes and curse damage was it always in the same range?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Yes and curse damage was it always in the same range?
    No, different skills dished out different amounts of damage. Or at least that's what we tested.