Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elite Leveling Group to 55

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...-DPS-Crits-etc.

dps is good on bosses and meh on mobs. most mobs die before dps really matters because of skills. Dps matters against bosses while damage is more important for mobs, assuming you can break the bosses armor.

The argument can be made that more damage is more important against bosses because of skill spamming. I disagree, when facing bosses it is more important to strategically use skills and pots than it is to spam as much damage skills as you can, especially with the new themed boss battles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    DPS is misleading...only when the enemy isn't armor-debuffed at all. DPS is useless only in the hands of an incompetent team that doesn't use skills/combos to debuff armor. Yes, there's a certain cap to armor debuffs but we have to take into consideration the extent of how much armor we can actually strip away from an enemy/boss. Then, DPS can matter.
    Still just going on experience I wouldn't plan to use a talon in BS. When AO3 came out, every Dex bird I knew who used a talon went to a scarab bow. There just seemed to be a sort of threshold where boss armor, even in good groups, seemed able to overcome most quick weapon damage.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Still just going on experience I wouldn't plan to use a talon in BF. When AO3 came out, every Dex bird I knew who used a talon went to a scarab bow. There just seemed to be a sort of threshold where boss armor, even in good groups, seemed able to overcome most quick weapon damage.
    I wasn't there to witness it, but it just looks like they extrapolated enemy armor (and damage?) terribly for AO3's release and that's what caused them to nerf AO3. If they extrapolate enemy armor perfectly for BF, then I wouldn't really just throw away my Talon/Wing just yet. With a good party, Talon/Wing works just as well as a gun and still improves survivability in AO3, esp against bosses like Pl'Othozz and Galactic Overlord. Just my two pennies though - we'll see how enemy armor and damage plays out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Too often I've seen lots of other types of groups be just as good as what is believed to be the optimal type of group. I believe BS will do the same. It all depends on the players. It's good to see at least 2 classes and as high damage as possible from a few of those members. Other than that I can't say. I've seen lots of groups succeed that would not have been considered optimal groups.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Well I think the contribution of skill damage to overall DPS is not something to overlook as well, especially considering the significant impact of blast shot's AOE combo to clearing maps, but I suppose we'll see
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Just going by common sense -- a 2h weapon SHOULD do more damage than a 1h weapon. You're sacrificing the armor for more damage. And if you're going 1h, you're sacrificing damage for armor. Just common sense. If a 1h weapon were as effective as a 2h weapon, no one would ever use 2h weapons.
    Of course, 2h weapons also sacrifice speed.
    Last edited by Lesrider; 02-04-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Well I think the contribution of skill damage to overall DPS is not something to overlook as well, especially considering the significant impact of blast shot's AOE combo to clearing maps, but I suppose we'll see
    Oh definitely w mobs ill choose a gun over a talon, no doubt about that. With bosses I may lean towards talon/wing. I guess too many bad experiences in the past always getting boss aggro and dying w a gun in hand..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Oh definitely w mobs ill choose a gun over a talon, no doubt about that. With bosses I may lean towards talon/wing. I guess too many bad experiences in the past always getting boss aggro and dying w a gun in hand..
    But when you choose that, it's for the extra defense, not the Dps.

The whole point of this discussion was that a bird with a talon/wing is not going to be as effective damage-wise as one with a bow/shotgun. Bc the topic creator said that you should be able to spam pots anyway, and therefore not need extra armor. Basically contradicted themselves by wanting people to use the 1h weapons instead of 2h.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    But when you choose that, it's for the extra defense, not the Dps.

The whole point of this discussion was that a bird with a talon/wing is not going to be as effective damage-wise as one with a bow/shotgun. Bc the topic creator said that you should be able to spam pots anyway, and therefore not need extra armor. Basically contradicted themselves by wanting people to use the 1h weapons instead of 2h.
    I would use it for defense and dps, and the argument I was trying to prove was that with full armor debuffs on a boss, its possible to completely remove the boss's armor. With no armor, DPS can be better than damage range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm saying the minimal (which for trash you're actually doing more damage) difference in dps for the other stats you get is well worth it. Especially if you aren't going to have a tank. I don't think there is much of a contradiction. My whole goal is speed. With trash mobs, I believe (I have not been here for a new content update so I'm not positive what to expect) but for trash, I believe the talon wing combo will be the fastest.
    Yahway 50 Cyber Cosmos Mage (119/119)
    Lvlone 50 Void Bird (117/119)
    Lvlfifty 50 Cyber Rift Bear(21/119)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

I disagree simply because AOE is huge while clearing trash (which is why for speed clearing, mages rule ). Look at the damage difference of blast shot when using the bow or blaster set vs the talon, then consider that BS is the bird's most important tool for clearing trash, and of course don't forget that the damage increase is multiplied when used to Cruel Blast (Edit: In addition to being multiplied since it's AOE)
    Last edited by Royce; 02-04-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Agreed, AoE should always be top priority when mob clearing. DPS, crit, armor, m/s, h/s, all of it! Doesn't matter, just how fast the mob goes bye bye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Lol I'm actually glad people are starting these threads -- maybe the xp farmers will stick to themselves and leave those of us who just want to enjoy the game to do so.
    (WAAAA) I just want the crown! Lol
    To view this information you need a Spacetime Studios® Gold™ Account