Thread: Cooler effects of spells etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cooler effects of spells etc.

Hey,

i find that the effects of spells and leveling doesnt look that cool, so this needs to be improved. There are some spells that look pretty neat but 90% of them doesn't.
    And leveling up too, you hear a sound, see something gold and tells you that you leveled up. Its not even exciting.

I'm really whining this way but just saying that the spells and stuff could look cooler.

I have some ideas how the spells will look like when being cast but i first want other people's opinion how they want them to look like.

So feel free to post some ideas
    "Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is." - Yoda

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No one yet?...

Ok let me begin then. For example: Blessing of Might, Blessing of Vitality, Icestorm, Firestorm and Heal all have the same look: a circle. Every one of these spells has a different color and sounds different ofcourse but they look too lot alike.
    Nightmare and Weakness look completely the same. And you almost cant see Drain Life.
    So every one of these spells are good but they dont look good enough for my taste. I want something that when you cast a spell, you think: "... Sweet!"

So now i want some ideas from other people. Which spells do you think look bad and maybe how would you want them to look like when casting?
    Last edited by Samtrumpet; 08-14-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

I think the mage spells are mostly pretty cool already, though I agree drain life should have like a red beam or something from you to the target, and the debuffs should have different colors or something. Those animations during leveling up, etc. are very new, so I'm sure they are still working on them, though I think the close up shot of your character jumping up and down is pretty decent. What would you suggest for that that wouldn't interrupt the flow of play?
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they made too much emo on spells and skills, there would be a ton of lag when you got a whole party,
    There already too much lag when somebody makes a combo on a group of mobs
    IAMBIRDMAN LVL50 SNIPER
    IAMTHEBEAR LVL45 TANK
    IAMABOOMSTICK LV45 NUKER/HEALER
    I put reality into words.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    I think the mage spells are mostly pretty cool already, though I agree drain life should have like a red beam or something from you to the target, and the debuffs should have different colors or something. Those animations during leveling up, etc. are very new, so I'm sure they are still working on them, though I think the close up shot of your character jumping up and down is pretty decent. What would you suggest for that that wouldn't interrupt the flow of play?
    When is there a closeup of your character jumping?
    And cool animations dont necessarely interrupt the gameplay

and i dont think it will give any lag. Cause the lag thats given is by the spell casted on too many people at the same time. For example, do the reincarnate (or whatever the spell is called to bring back someone who's dead) in forest haven when there are a lot of people. Then you get lag. But i dont think that the animations of the spells will slow the game down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

when you level up there is jumping, and lag I have found gets worse with procs and the likes. I think the archer spells need to be of variety though they are all uniform.
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vulgarstrike View Post
    when you level up there is jumping, and lag I have found gets worse with procs and the likes. I think the archer spells need to be of variety though they are all uniform.
    Yea i agree with that. But the warrior too actually. Possibly cause the enchantress is more of a spellcaster than the other classes and they spent most of the time on that. Making sure the spells look great of that class. And since the others are ranged and tank, their spells are "not so important".
    I hope that's not the way the developers are thinking cause thats really wrong.

And so far for me, i have only lag when doing a spell (like the Resurrect spell) on a very big group of people. About 20 people is guess (in a town). And also doing a combo (Icestorm and then Firestorm or something).
    But i really think that the lag doesnt have to so anything with the complexity of the spell.

One spell that i do find that looks cool (of the enchantress) is the Magic Shield (or Mana Shield).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

What spells can use is that its just not stats that rank up but looks then everyone will know that you have a high rank
    Firestorm woukd be something like this.....
    Rank1:looks the same
    Rank2:thicker flames with more yellow
    Rank3:loud sound taller fire yellower fire some smoke
    Rank4 taller fire copletely yellow with red rings around it and little explosions sound
    Rank5:blue fire yellow ring around it calmed explosion
    Rank6:blue fire with loud explosion and strong push with alot of smoke (if its possible
    Rank
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

since an ipod or phone cant contain that much detail, it would make many people lag more than they already do
    as of now, the effects are amazing, and even makes me lag at times
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!