Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does Gold Fever's "Fever" actually work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Default How does Gold Fever's "Fever" actually work?

I've just been confused with how his fever works.

Facts:

1. He passes you his "Fever", which is seen by the Celebrate emote on the character, and colorful !s coming out of player.

2. When he has a green orb, a certain chest in the room also has that green orb. This orb makes him invincible until the chest with the orb is destroyed.

3. If the Fever explodes and you and/or other players are in range, it gets passed on to you. (I've heard if a Mage heals the initial one with Fever, it doesn't spread. Idk though.)

So my questions are :

1. What dictates how much damage his Fever does?

On my bird/bear, if I get the Fever, sometimes it :

a) Total one shot, even when full hp.
    b) Barely live, from full hp.
    c) Just half of HP taken away.
    d) Die in one shot, but a consecutive explosion still comes from my body even after death.

So I haven't really found an actual reason what makes the fever hit so hard/low.

Does it crit? Distance from the boss? Orbs being alive or not? (Though I've tried destroying chest before it explodes or leaving alive completely, same results).

Physiologic also had a thread showing that the Trash Can punch also means an instant one shot if you get the fever.

So does anyone know what actually needs to be done? I just hate getting aggro on my bird for that one second to get fever, and only to be one shot.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 02-28-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Guardian of Alterra DawnInfinity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Whenever I get the "fever" I run away from boss and group as quickly as possible. It seems to do less damage than being close to the group and boss. I'm not really sure though.
    *Follow my blog, and I'll love you forever *
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    She's not hot, she's sexy. Sexy steph
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    does it matter? we all praise and adore your presence, may your light fall upon our eyes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

I thought Hitting Orb Can sometimes heal fever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

What I do, as the simplest strategy. Have ONE Tank in your team. Let him rush in and take Gold Fever. Wait a few seconds till he gains aggro and pins him. The Elfs and Archer's surround the tank just far enough so they aren't within the fever spread range but can still use MOST of their skills. Then... No need to worry about chest opening. The tank can easily tank the "Gold Fever" as long as it is not spread and he keeps him pinned. This is pretty easy to do. I have done it multiple times on my bear. It is also the most efficient.

BUT, here is my new theory for Gold Fever. It randomly heals ONE Person in the party with the Gold Fever once you break the chest. So... You need to SPREAD OUT when the "Gold Fever" proc hits. (Pick a Side, like you do in gurgox). Then take out the orb, let the one person be healed. The rest explode. This USUALLY does not get them killed. Resume fighting and repeat if needed.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Whenever I get the "fever" I run away from boss and group as quickly as possible. It seems to do less damage than being close to the group and boss. I'm not really sure though.
    Thats what I thought too, but I've tried just running as far as I can from GF, nearly outside, and still get one shot/half HP/barely living. My first thing in mind is to run from group though.

Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    I thought Hitting Orb Can sometimes heal fever.
    I never tried it. Seems the orbs only work for removing its invincibility.

Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel View Post
    What I do, as the simplest strategy. Have ONE Tank in your team. Let him rush in and take Gold Fever. Wait a few seconds till he gains aggro and pins him. The Elfs and Archer's surround the tank just far enough so they aren't within the fever spread range but can still use MOST of their skills. Then... No need to worry about chest opening. The tank can easily tank the "Gold Fever" as long as it is not spread and he keeps him pinned. This is pretty easy to do. I have done it multiple times on my bear. It is also the most efficient.

BUT, here is my new theory for Gold Fever. It randomly heals ONE Person in the party with the Gold Fever once you break the chest. So... You need to SPREAD OUT when the "Gold Fever" proc hits. (Pick a Side, like you do in gurgox). Then take out the orb, let the one person be healed. The rest explode. This USUALLY does not get them killed. Resume fighting and repeat if needed.
    Doesn't he get the orb by a certain time though? So you're forced to destroy them if you want to kill him?

By heal do you mean it removes the fever? Cause I've never seen a heal type thing happening from fever.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 02-28-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Couple of things - I don't think the green orb'd chest makes him completely invincible because twice I've seen him down to low, low health, he turned on Gold Fever and had the green orb, and we killed him accidentally. So I think it just vastly increases his armor.

Pretty sure the Trash Can Punch is a huge glitch though, it makes no sense for players to waste 6k/12k gold like that.

It could be that his Gold Fever has a damage range much like all mobs/bosses do. I think I've seen a normal damage of 200-250 before, so if he crits you, you might live or you might die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Couple of things - I don't think the green orb'd chest makes him completely invincible because twice I've seen him down to low, low health, he turned on Gold Fever and had the green orb, and we killed him accidentally. So I think it just vastly increases his armor.

Pretty sure the Trash Can Punch is a huge glitch though, it makes no sense for players to waste 6k/12k gold like that.

It could be that his Gold Fever has a damage range much like all mobs/bosses do. I think I've seen a normal damage of 200-250 before, so if he crits you, you might live or you might die.
    Ah possible. Like Keeper's shield then?

I was just in a game when a pure str bear got one shot, and we saw an 800 popping out on top of him.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think it gets worse and does more damage each time it passes to someone. So one person gets it, infects another, then that person infects a third. It can keep passing, and you hear a faster ticking each time. This is usually the cause of party wipes ive seen. The second, third, etc degree of gold fever hurts a lot more
    Kujen 56 Bird / Rahki 55 Bear / Silvanya 55 Mage

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Ah possible. Like Keeper's shield then?

I was just in a game when a pure str bear got one shot, and we saw an 800 popping out on top of him.
    Yeah, I think how Keeper's/OL's shield and Gold Fever's green orb works is that even though damage is shown, a low % of that damage dealt is applied to the boss' health. So it might be 1% of whatever damage you're doing, as opposed to 0%.

And lol, that sucks! Is there a possibility of Gold Fever debuffing your armor through regular attacks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Thats what I thought too, but I've tried just running as far as I can from GF, nearly outside, and still get one shot/half HP/barely living. My first thing in mind is to run from group though.

I never tried it. Seems the orbs only work for removing its invincibility.

Doesn't he get the orb by a certain time though? So you're forced to destroy them if you want to kill him?

By heal do you mean it removes the fever? Cause I've never seen a heal type thing happening from fever.
    My bad, I forgot that the chests DO NOT heal the fever. They just remove his shield. So stick with my strategy and only destroy the shield if necessary. The orb has a time limit. It eventually goes away I believe. Also your AOE spells will likely kill the chest with the orb. If it can't, get the person nearest to the chest, destroy the orb WITHOUT spreading the fever. New theory. He spreads the fever. There is no way to cure it. You CAN STOP the fever though. You can achieve that by destroying the chest so he can't trasmit the fever anymore and spread out so existing teammates with the fever can't spread it either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Kujen View Post
    I think it gets worse and does more damage each time it passes to someone. So one person gets it, infects another, then that person infects a third. It can keep passing, and you hear a faster ticking each time. This is usually the cause of party wipes ive seen. The second, third, etc degree of gold fever hurts a lot more
    Was about to say the opposite actually.

I always survive from a passed on fever, assuming I'm the only one in range that has it.

Though we've wiped on some people who are just careless in running into the group with one fever, and eventually everyone gets it and hardly separates.

What I notice the most is 2-3 tanks, one gets fever and it explodes passing it on to the rest of the tanks, and they don't move. Those 3 explosions definitely kill them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

I'm so proud of the devs, they made a boss which people are still confused about how they work. Awesome. I can't wait for the next update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I usually survive when goldfever infects me first, or when someone else who got it from him runs into me. But when its been over three degrees, the bomb ticking noise is a lot faster and it tends to be a killer. People keep passing it on and it doesn't go away unless they stop running into each other.
    Kujen 56 Bird / Rahki 55 Bear / Silvanya 55 Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Yeah, I think how Keeper's/OL's shield and Gold Fever's green orb works is that even though damage is shown, a low % of that damage dealt is applied to the boss' health. So it might be 1% of whatever damage you're doing, as opposed to 0%.

And lol, that sucks! Is there a possibility of Gold Fever debuffing your armor through regular attacks?
    Possible. Cause I've tried saving my Iron Blood on my bear for when I actually have fever, and it does the same with/without it. Probably ignore armour?

My bad, I forgot that the chests DO NOT heal the fever. They just remove his shield. So stick with my strategy and only destroy the shield if necessary. The orb has a time limit. It eventually goes away I believe. Also your AOE spells will likely kill the chest with the orb. If it can't, get the person nearest to the chest, destroy the orb WITHOUT spreading the fever. New theory. He spreads the fever. There is no way to cure it. You CAN STOP the fever though. You can achieve that by destroying the chest so he can't trasmit the fever anymore and spread out so existing teammates with the fever can't spread it either.
    Ah, haven't noticed the orb going away, so that could work.

You mean he spreads the fever to random people? I usually get it on my bird since I get aggro on a damage pot, so I've been believing that he just gives the fever to the one who has aggro too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Possible. Cause I've tried saving my Iron Blood on my bear for when I actually have fever, and it does the same with/without it. Probably ignore armour?

Ah, haven't noticed the orb going away, so that could work.

You mean he spreads the fever to random people? I usually get it on my bird since I get aggro on a damage pot, so I've been believing that he just gives the fever to the one who has aggro too.
    He first passes it to the person with aggro. That is correct. The tank CAN hold aggro though, even with a damage pot on an archer. I do it all the time. You just need an ideal group to perfectly execute the strategy and kill Gold Fever efficiently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

He first passes it to the person with aggro. That is correct. The tank CAN hold aggro though, even with a damage pot on an archer. I do it all the time. You just need an ideal group to perfectly execute the strategy and kill Gold Fever efficiently.
    That's true, a good tank is always better.

Sometimes the tank can't help but miss to keep aggro once in awhile though, which leads me to asking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

GOLD fever is hebron and goldhorde's worst nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

That's true, a good tank is always better.

Sometimes the tank can't help but miss to keep aggro once in awhile though, which leads me to asking
    That usually isn't a problem unless the said Bird is damage potting. -looks at Ellyidol-
    What I do in those incidents is, if my taunt is in cooldown, beckon and hellscream. It immediately stunlocks the boss and grabs aggro back just as well as taunt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

That usually isn't a problem unless the said Bird is damage potting. -looks at Ellyidol-
    What I do in those incidents is, if my taunt is in cooldown, beckon and hellscream. It immediately stunlocks the boss and grabs aggro back just as well as taunt.
    Hey it's a cheap price to pay if it actually doubles your damage I do understand though, without a damage pot a bear can hold aggro easy (granted he's good and just that one bear), but if we're both on damage pot he can hold it easily too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kujen View Post
    Imho, agreed....I can usually withstand the one hit if I have aggro, but if someone piles on top of me while I have the fever, it seems that when the bomb goes off it does MASSIVE damage...something like maybe people being close to you and passing it on to them causes it to crit hit you.

I am not sure, I just know that my pretty sturdy bear easily takes the Fever hit whenever I am in the clear from other party members, but last night when playing with randoms, they kept piling on top of me while I had it while tanking. I got wiped instantly...not to mention the offending party members all got Fever and wiped themselves.

edit: It's possible I just took a bomb hit and then immediately a crit hit from Goldpants and I would've been hurting anyway...still, the party needlessly wiped themselves with Fever from piling on.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 02-28-2011 at 09:49 PM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage