Thread: Whim's Leash

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Default Whim's Leash

I would just like to make a note to the devs that Whim is a totally awesome pet. He does have one big issue though.

The pet provides a 15% speed bonus, however the actual critter's movement speed is not set correctly to take that into account. As a result the pet trails a full half-map behind when you are running. This makes the pull AA (which is the main selling feature of the pet) almost useless. This is because everyone runs to a pull point and by the time the pet catches up, the mobs are either already grouped naturally or they are already dead.

Other pets with speed bonuses manage to keep up with their owners just fine, including abaddon. This extra-long whim leash is, I believe, an oversight or a bug.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    I would just like to make a note to the devs that Whim is a totally awesome pet. He does have one big issue though.

The pet provides a 15% speed bonus, however the actual critter's movement speed is not set correctly to take that into account. As a result the pet trails a full half-map behind when you are running. This makes the pull AA (which is the main selling feature of the pet) almost useless. This is because everyone runs to a pull point and by the time the pet catches up, the mobs are either already grouped naturally or they are already dead.

Other pets with speed bonuses manage to keep up with their owners just fine, including abaddon. This extra-long whim leash is, I believe, an oversight or a bug.
    i experience it with yowie also, im killing the mobs at KT4 halfway(tombs halfway) while he is still picking up the loot from the start point :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rx8 View Post
    i experience it with yowie also, im killing the mobs at KT4 halfway(tombs halfway) while he is still picking up the loot from the start point :/
    O.o wasnt this fixed long ago?
    From mortal hope springs immortal power
    toons: goebejake rogue, saltspear mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

We could use an improvement on the pet-following system. Atm, they lag behind every time you take a close turn. This is especially annoying in maps with many turns and rooms and primarily tombs.

The solution would be to shorten their maximum leash range(after a certain point the pet follows, finally going around that tiny corner that has now kept it a screen behind the player).

If you opt for a custom fix to whims, consider fixing Blinky's too (he stays overly back to attack).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

However pet resummoning was fixed, you can still do, if arcane ability is not on cd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

We have discussed pet leashing and other concerns about pets in several threads, but this is probably a good place to consolidate all the concerns we have.

Things I have seen where leashing has caused problems:
    • Pet AA not benefiting the player because pet is too far away
    • Pet AA not affecting mobs, or at least the desired mobs
    • Pet lagging very, very far behind, especially when bypassing mobs/barrels
    • Pet getting stuck around turns

Other issues I have with pet behavior:
    • Pet attacking barrels/crates instead of mobs
    • Pet attacking wrong mobs
    • Pet aggroing mobs you don't want aggroed

Specific gameplay situations caused by these pet issues:
    • When you are bypassing mobs in elite maps for instance, and really need IronBite's AA for armor and stun immunity, you won't get it. Same goes for the Dodge buff from Mali, Scorch shielding, Kettle speed boost, etc. When you really need it, the pet is nowhere around.
    • You have parked a group in Caves, and don't want to unpark them, somehow, your pet decides the parked mobs are more of a threat than the mob you're attacking at kiting range. Seems to occur more frequently on ranged attack pets, when your pet is behind you and you're at kiting range.
    • Making the run to a boss, you go around a turn and your pet gets lost and takes a long, long time to reset.
    • Again, making the run to a boss (or returning to a boss after a death and free revive), you bring a stun pet and when you really need to stun boss, pet is lagging so far behind, his AA hits nothing but the air.
    • You are attacking a Shaman or other mob, yet your pet is attacking a barrel???
    • Your party has rounded up an enormous pull, you're standing in the middle of the cluster, but your pet is on the outside fringes of the group attacking something. Attempt to launch debuff/banish based pet AA's and your party receives little, if any benefit, because pet is on the edge of the mob pack.
    • Enter planar arena, stand near gates. When match starts, pet is stuck inside the gate and cannot help you or your party unless resummoned, or gates are lowered.

Possible Solutions
    • Pet leashed to a maximum of their AA range from the player. This will prevent AA's hitting nothing but air, and keep the pet close at all times. If pet exceeds the AA range from the owning player, pet is immediately reset next to the player (same as a resummon). This will fix all the "lost" and "stuck" pet scenarios, even in a mob cluster.
    • Pet targets the same thing you target. Pet cannot choose their own attack targets. This will fix the silliness of them attacking barrels while you are getting hammered by scorns and shamans.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

I noticed this too since opening my whim, but part of me doesn't want to complain about it because I use this to my advantage when I have a mob that needs wrangled and I need to re-position Whim in order to get their AA to do what I want, where I want.

The longer leash allows me to back away a safe distance for re-positioning and then once they're in the desired position to activate their AA it let em' do their thing and it almost always does what I want it to.

I'm afraid if they make the leash shorter it will interfere with my ability to manipulate them as I see fit, since they'll be much closer (as will I in battle) as an alternative.

And tbh, the only place that I really see the issue is in tombs where the tight corners and such do get in the way, but I don't run tombs that heavily with Whim where this would really bother me. Esp since they're now lvl 40.
    Last edited by Sorcerie; 01-14-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    Lvl 46 Mage - Sorcerie|Lvl 46 Rogue - Noxbolt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nelson131 View Post
    O.o wasnt this fixed long ago?
    i don't even use gale either....the guy is like "i can be ur pet but i aint ya servan' bruh"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts

well, at certain case, i want the leash range to be far enough to pick missing items,

so, i suggest:
    1. increase pet's movement in PvE (pets can't jump like players, yet they are used both for picking items and attacking enemies)
    2. add ability to recall pet instantly, e.g. AA button automatically teleport pet and do AA + if pressed while it is on cd, it will summon pet instantly
    always milking, no service
    AL IGN: Extrapayah/Extraparah/Extrajelek
    Support Shared Pet Stable Please!