Thread: Crucial Suggestion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Crucial Suggestion

Who else here would love the idea to play offline?
    as in, you can play offline, by yourself, but still take quests and fight monsters and do your quests and make cash, then when u connect it will connect with the server and update your acc with what you do. I would love this considering i game alot when i'm @ school and i can't connect 2 wifi

I would adore you guys if u did this... ADORE... to the extremes... Not that way tho...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Well ya it would be cool, but unfair in a way. It is a MMORPG. I see what you mean though...espcially if you have a bad internet connection lol. Good idea, but wouldnt count on it happening.
    56 Majormajic - 55 Majortank - 5 Majorfive
    Pocket Legend Inc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

All data is stored online, and that's the only way to do it really. If you could keep and change character and inventory data on your device that would open them up wide for hacking.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    All data is stored online, and that's the only way to do it really. If you could keep and change character and inventory data on your device that would open them up wide for hacking.
    I didn't know that. In that case, I'm totally against it :P

Last thing I want is any kind of hacking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Yeah, it does lead to lots of hacking and exploits. DD has that, and I love that I can play offline (on the subway, etc). But the tradeoff is that people do exploit it. Also, crazy things like corruptions and wipes can happen to your save file. I don't think PL would work well that way. They have a great server that allows them to keep everyone's stuff safe, worry-free, and hack-free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Well ya it would be cool, but unfair in a way. It is a MMORPG. I see what you mean though...espcially if you have a bad internet connection lol. Good idea, but wouldnt count on it happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Dungeon Defenders has (or at least, had) such features.
    AND you could host LAN-Wifi games.

The char hacking is not an issue as long as the profile would be encrypted, and since only the devs would know the key (i suggest as double sha512 hash, stored in binary form, not in java classes - vulnerable to decompilation), there would be little chance of cracking it.

I'd second that idea.
    IGN: adwinp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, wrong idea. you could download the game so all info would be stored on ipod (it would take up way more room on your ipod... up to .5 gigs approximately) but i would totally do that, to be honest, and if you don't its ok. its optional. and it could be less. But as for hacking, that is impossible.
    And by the way, if you have your ipod disconnected and your options are "show hidden folders and items" in your computer options(manual) then you would be able to view your apps, but much less, how would people hack it if there is no program ever created to run/edit apps accept iphone itself and the developers, and from the iphone itself you can't edit apps. (sorry if that didn't make sense) and i doubt anyone could re-create and implement a system to run and edit apps, for which they would have to be a manager/staff of apple, and know its secrets. And why would they anyways? The slim chances of this happening is almost 1/100,000,000.
    And, if the very very slim chances were created, by some off chance, they could encrypt it anyways, so it is un-read/editable. also the properties on it could be read-only also, so there is no virtual existent to hack it if these were done.

I am very sorry if you didn't understand this, i actually had a hard time typing and trying to explain this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Been suggested, all data is stored online, and is linked to the server, so it isn't gonna happen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

There's iPhone Explorer, which many DD players (including myself) started using once we realized our data wasn't really safe from corruptions/wipes. It allows you to copy the save file over to your pc, and you can add/replace files on tour phone the same way (although I personally have not tried that yet because I'm a bit scared). So people may be able to use that to exploit their save file somehow. People use it on DD to dupe items or make unlimited mana (in-game currency). It just opens up a huge box of worms.

Also, the game is on Android, too. That's where all the hackers come from.

Again, it has its benefits -- I like being able to play offline on DD. But there's a lot of headache that comes with it. PL has a nice secure system and I think they're better off not messing with it.
    Last edited by Lesrider; 03-09-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    Been suggested, all data is stored online, and is linked to the server, so it isn't gonna happen
    Did you not read me? i will clarify this.
    The game models and ONLY your profile only will be downloaded onto your ipod, so you can access it through the 1 time downloaded models.
    when you log into the server, it updates, so when your offline you still gain exp, but it doesn't show online until you actually log online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game

That about sums up my feelings on the subject
    Skavengr - lvl56 dual spec tank/bow bear, Alameina - lvl56 full mega int mage, MegaDooomer - lvl56 full custom dex bird

Skavenger - commando, Skavengr - engineer, MegaDooomer - operative
    Quote Originally Posted by Morawk View Post
    Your Int is only 1. You should not even be able to form words in your mouth lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    They're noobs, what do you expect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Sorry, I didn't read your post. Personally, I think it'd make it too open, andbe risky. Also, droid may come into play with the hacking. I simply don't see it happening due to risks, same reason they might have pulled PC version. Just my opinion though, you seem to be far more experienced in this field than me.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

They can do it, Eliminate Pro is un-hackable and it has both online and offline options.

I would like to play offline, but it would have to have ABSOLUTE no server side data or ANYTHING connected to the online game.
    Last edited by Pharcyde; 03-09-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, for droid i'm not to farmiliar with that subject. Maybe something could happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree there could be an increase chance of hackers and thus could ruin the whole game. But i like the idea.
    [IGN-Keohike]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Now that I think about it, id be ok with it if it went with the diablo 2 way of doing it...

You can't use your offline players online, and vice-versa!
    Skavengr - lvl56 dual spec tank/bow bear, Alameina - lvl56 full mega int mage, MegaDooomer - lvl56 full custom dex bird

Your Int is only 1. You should not even be able to form words in your mouth lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skavenger216 View Post
    Now that I think about it, id be ok with it if it went with the diablo 2 way of doing it...

You can't use your offline players online, and vice-versa!
    But im guessing here so dont hold me to my word, Sts wud need to to put alot of codes and that cost alot of money and time.
    [IGN-Keohike]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Oh it would definitely take time to implement, wouldn't be worth it. Besides, wouldn't we all rather have them spending their time working on new content for us?