Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Strange Popping Noise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Strange Popping Noise

Ever since the iOS 4.3 update, I've been noticing a strange kind of crackling sound whenever I do anything in PL, really. I checked with headphones - no difference. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Thanks!
    IGN: Tsarra (Enchantress/Pure Mage - Lv. 52) | Eliysium (Bird/Pure Dex - Lv. 30) | BirdLipsMcGee (PvP Noob/Dark Forest Farmer Extraordinaire - Lv. 10) | TiniestTim (Platinum PvP Farmbear - Lv. 1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadM View Post
    What we need is more cowbell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I have not noticed this problem at all....probably a device problem
    56 Majormajic - 55 Majortank - 5 Majorfive
    Pocket Legend Inc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

I have this when listening to heavy metal.
    It's just the earphone/ device.

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    I have this when listening to heavy metal.
    It's just the earphone/ device.
    lol take it easy on the BFMV jk lol ROCK OUT UNTIL YOUR EARS BLEED!! XD
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be inclined to believe you all if it did it on any other application or function of my phone.

The sound is reminiscent of a blown speaker, but I only experience the noise in PL (and I play plenty of heavy metal on my phone, too). I play a lot of other high-end games on my phone and I haven't heard this noise in any of them. The noise persists whether I have headphones in or not...and it just started two days ago, when I updated to iOS 4.3. All of these factors together make me think that it's a client issue. I guess the real deal scientific approach would be to see if my girlfriend hears the popping noise too...she just upgraded her phone last night.

Edit: Confirmed; she is having the same issue. We have identical phone configurations.
    Last edited by Tsarra; 03-12-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    IGN: Tsarra (Enchantress/Pure Mage - Lv. 52) | Eliysium (Bird/Pure Dex - Lv. 30) | BirdLipsMcGee (PvP Noob/Dark Forest Farmer Extraordinaire - Lv. 10) | TiniestTim (Platinum PvP Farmbear - Lv. 1)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I have experienced this to but u know you can downgrade ur iPod to ios 4.2/4.1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I work in tech support, and that answer is simply unacceptable. That would be like this:

Caller: "I can't look at your website on my PC. I've tried in both Internet Explorer and Firefox"
    Me: "Well, you'll just have to go buy a Mac then."

Better for STS to know it's an issue...and since iOS 4.3 just came out a few days ago, they might not yet. Plus, I know that most of you guys play with the sound off, anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

try playing the volume lower.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It still crackles no matter what volume level I play it at. Headphones or not, only in PL. Have you guys upgraded to iOS 4.3? I'm fairly certain that's the issue. On at least two iPhones that I know of.
    Last edited by Tsarra; 03-12-2011 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Good to know... I won't update to 4.3 yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its actually yogi bear, hes eating some picnic snacks in your device.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*crinkle crinkle*

In all seriousness, don't update your device to 4.3 until the devs address this. That is, unless you like picnic snacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you tried turning off the sound/music in-game? (options>uncheck sound/music box) That would isolate the problem to effects or game music at LEAST. You might also wan to toggle the battery saver, just incase. I haven't uorgraded yet, so these are just suggestions, good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytesdawn View Post
    Epic troll. +1 random merit. Btw it's fruit not cookies.
    Lizardfeather|Ventesia|Yraelia
    Roleplayer's Guild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have that sound on my droid2. Hope they fix it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got the same issue and it's pretty bad. I assumed it was just an iOS 4.3 update thing, so last night I did a full factory reset and PL still clicks. I know for a fact it started immediately after the iOS 4.3 update, because PL was the first thing I opened immediately after it updated. It seems to be happening to the music and effects while there are other players on the screen. What I mean is a cut screen from one place to another, or the main "Enter World" screen doesn't seem to be crackling and popping. As soon as I get into an area or a dungeon (I've mostly been playing in the Alien Oasis 2 dungeons) the music clicks and pops.

I'll do a quick test: Right now, for example, I am sitting on the Tap To Continue City of Oasis screen, and the music is fine but every time the backwards cymbal sound goes off as someone joins, the effect clicks and pops and the music does not. Not every time though, because I have now joined Oasis, and about 1/3 people appearing causes the clicks, the music is fine and so are the bird noises. In a dungeon, the music is always clicking. I have now moved to Balefort, and on the Tao to Continue screen it happens every time someone joins, or someone posts in the chat. Once I enter it becomes intermittent again. It occurs in headphones and on the iPad speaker. I know others have asked if it is sound fx or music, and that answer seems to depend on where I am located. Currently I am in Lost Expedition 2's Tap to Continue screen and it is happening constantly, and once I enter the dungeon everything clicks and pops, regardless of what it is. I just went into the Game Options screen and as it happens, it is still clicking just as much as when I was looking at the dungeon screen - which means it's happening with the main PL music also. To me, it appears to be exclusive to when I am with other people, and further exacerbated by being in a dungeon. Also, turning off the music does not stop it. I am still in lost expedition with a group of 4 and the sound is going haywire, even with music disabled. Now, as they just completed the level and left - it stopped completely. Aha! A person just joined the finished dungeon and it's doing it again. So my conclusion is this only happens when interacting with other players.

No other apps are doing anything like this, and I use mostly audio apps such as Korg MS-20, iElectribe, Funk Box etc. Aside from a full restore, I've double pressed the button and turned off all the background applications and powered the iPad down multiple times, all to no avail. I've also selected and deselected all the audio options for the game.

Hopefully someone will pin point what is going on.
    Last edited by astrocortex; 03-16-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Added a little troubleshooting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

happened to me too. crickles after 4.3 update

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Good thing I'm not updating for a while... If this is a client issue, expect it to not be fixed for a while unless the devs sneak in a quick patch to iTunes. Maybe they can add in one or two more things while they are at it...
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

18.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #18
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,489 Posts

I've got iOS 4.3 on my iPhone 4 and iPad and it works fine for me. What are the exact steps to reproduce your problem?

-ALS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It has something to do with the speakers or along the way to them. I have the same issue but it was nonexistent with headphones. In fact, the game sounded so much better with headphones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have the sound issue too although I usually play silently so as not to bother other people. AND I don't have 4.3. I only have an iPhone 1 so I'm still stuck back on 3.whatever. It happens even on the lowest volume notch above 'off'.
    PL: Jemnus - Lvl 54 Archer; Nasoji - Lvl 54 Enchanter; CaptainUrsa - Lvl 35 Bear;
    AL: Jemnidad - Lvl 30 Sorceror; Starkazm - Lvl 13 Rogue