Thanked in
    14 Posts

Great thread raw!

You can do anything, but not everything. ♥ -David Allen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Regarding the comment about mythic pets being farmable, I think you maybe misinterpreted the description. Mystical means magical - mythical / mythic means extremely rare.

The gap between the top pets and others is akin to that of arcane ring vs everything else. It's beyond extreme. However I do agree with Hali and Candy, that although your point is understood, your point scale is indeed way off for PvE, and missing some key pets.
    You never know what you can do until you try
    There are two ways of doing something: right, and again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serancha View Post
    Regarding the comment about mythic pets being farmable, I think you maybe misinterpreted the description. Mystical means magical - mythical / mythic means extremely rare.

The gap between the top pets and others is akin to that of arcane ring vs everything else. It's beyond extreme. However I do agree with Hali and Candy, that although your point is understood, your point scale is indeed way off for PvE, and missing some key pets.
    Again, the point scale was just something i created in like 5 minutes, not something to be taken too literally. The point is just that Nekro/SnS are beyond OP, and nothing comes close - even Maridos IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts

it's time for sts to implement shared pet stable, hmmm
    always milking, no service
    AL IGN: Extrapayah/Extraparah/Extrajelek
    Support Shared Pet Stable Please!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to extrapayah For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Candylicks View Post
    LOL Why is my name here when I haven't even posted.

All I have to say is put SnS in locked.

End of discussion.

Candy / Fade..... potato / potaato lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Serancha For This Useful Post:

raw

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raw View Post
    Hi Everyone,

So I've been doing some thinking about how the importance of pets in Arcane Legends has changed over time. Just as a background for anyone who doesn't know me, I've been playing since S1 (my first account was a mage whose ign was Merkage and I was in Rage of Mages). In the earlier seasons pets really didn't make a difference. They were "nice to haves" and what really mattered more was your character's gear, and the skill in which you used your character. Pets complimented your character, and were more of a "cherry on top" in both PvE and PvP. At that time I thought of pets sort of like I thought of SuperSmash Brothers characters in that they were all equally as strong, but each one was slightly unique - but that was naive. I used to use Malison on my rogue (then named Merrrrrrrked) and Wrathjaw on my end game mage, and I never once got a complaint. I recall that the pet I dreamed about was Colton and I would've had to do daily quests for months straight just to earn it. When I finally did earn it, I was extremely happy and proud of myself. The months of dedication had finally paid off, and I was able to display my Colton with pride that I had worked hard for this.

Fast forward to season 7, pets have become the polar opposite of what they once were. Players are judged if they do not have the best pets simply because some arcane pets are exponentially better than the average legendary pet. The difference between pets is the same difference in player gear which I have mentioned before. Player pets/gear vary drastically from the average player to the best player, and it is a HUGE problem in AL. I could and should honestly make a graph just to show how (in my opinion) OP some pets are in comparison to others... Instead I will make a list which gives a number signifying it's power on a scale from 0-100. See below:

Deary - 10 points
    Malison - 20 points

Slag/Ripmaw - 25 points
    Dovabear - 25 points
    Yowie - 25 points
    Breeze - 30 points
    Blinky - 30 points

Glacian - 30 points
    Abaddon 30 points
    HJ - 35 points
    Singe - 45 poimts
    Maridos - 50 points
    Samael - 50 points
    Nekro - 95 points
    Shady and Surge - 100 points

These numbers are completely based on my opinion... but my point is that rather than pets complimenting our characters, they have become the primary factor in overall strength. I get that over time we need to introduce more powerful pets, but it has come to the point where the discrepancy between what the average player can afford (legendary or cheap mythic pets), what the upper class player can afford (cheap arcanes), and what the elite .1% can afford (Nekro/SnS) is huge, and only seems to be growing. Thank you STS for releasing Lemon n Lime. That was a step in the right direction, but it does not address the fundamental issue that you have already created pets which have the potential to do more damage than any player could possibly do (SnS pools being stacked on mobs), and you have created a pet which has the ability to replicate a mage's skill and do it better than the mage itself (nekro shield).

What irks me the most is that when I enter into PvP, or when I enter into a timed run, what ultimately decides who wins are the pets. Skill no longer plays an integral role. This wasn't always the case, and it honestly is driving players away. I can tell you that for a fact.

Here is a quote from the Arcane Legends description on the Google Play Store:

"As you fight enemies to destroy evil or battle in PvP, you will unlock special abilities for your character and find new pets that you can customize to suit your play style... Collect and grow mystical pets that help you on quests."

What I have noticed is that before mythic and legendary pets, the best pets were achievable by farming or doing dailies. (Malison in Rooks Nest, Colton through dailies). Albeit there were no grand locked crates at the time, the excitement of having something to work towards were really exciting and motivating. Any platinum purchases I made were for vanities, elixirs, or gold if I really needed it. The description above mentions "finding new pets" and "collect and grow mystical pets," neither of which are necessarily true. All we find are old dated pets which are eclipsed by the arcane and mythic pets only purchasable through platinum (with the exception of Grim during the Halloween event, and fossil through arena chests - lol).

Anyway I don't want to keep going on and on but the influence of pets in AL over time has been substantial. I for one have stopped PvPing again in end game because CTF and TDM come down to who has better pets, not who has more technique. TDM comes down to who has nekro. Timed runs come down to who has more SnS.

What is your opinion on the importance of pets in AL? Is it too much? Is it too little? What can STG to do bridge the gap between legendary and arcane pets? Do you have any suggestions to address this issue (keeping in mind that if it doesn't boost plat sales - even indirectly - then it wont be implemented)?

Best,

Raw
    AWESOME thread Raw, but My eyes can see this little error xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Idk about everyone else but i personally loved how i had to farm maps to earn eggs... now a days its all about locked crates and platinum that the basics of farming have gone down the drain. Farming now a days is just to get money and i find it kinda boring having to open locks for pets or farm for items to sell for money to buy pets. I loved how back then eggs were farmable and the best pets dropped from bosses. Why cant any mythical pets be dropped from bosses also? Just with a low drop rate... just like recipie. And Arcane pets be dropped from bosses in tombs or mobs in tombs with a low drop rate also. Why has this game become a Lock Dependent game :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

hahaha I should have put more thought into this =P

Hali please take a stab at re-valuing the numbers and ill edit the main post!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Exxile View Post
    Idk about everyone else but i personally loved how i had to farm maps to earn eggs... now a days its all about locked crates and platinum that the basics of farming have gone down the drain. Farming now a days is just to get money and i find it kinda boring having to open locks for pets or farm for items to sell for money to buy pets. I loved how back then eggs were farmable and the best pets dropped from bosses. Why cant any mythical pets be dropped from bosses also? Just with a low drop rate... just like recipie. And Arcane pets be dropped from bosses in tombs or mobs in tombs with a low drop rate also. Why has this game become a Lock Dependent game :/
    I feel the same exact way. I understand that the model of having gambling locked crates promotes 'plat binging' where players purchase and use large amounts of platinum in a short period of time. While this may be profitable for STG, it is not sustainable and is not a typical source of revenue for MMORPGs. Typically subscription fees are the primary source of revenue.

Anyway given that subscriptions are not the model of Arcane Legends, I do think that promoting mythic drops (as rare as planar pendant recipe), and arcane drops (as rare as fossil in arena chests for arcane drops) would've been a far superior model. The benefits of this can be viewed from two perspectives.

From the Player POV:
    - additional motivation to farm harder elite maps (that may not have valuable legendary drops)
    - hope that some day you will receive a mythic or arcane drop (much like there is that hope in arena for a recipe/fossil)
    - reduces the dependency on locked crates, and makes players focus more on farming - > increasing the amount of players who farm - > increasing the popularity of Arcane Legends mid to late season (where players generally have nothing to do and quit)
    - Allows f2p players to compete with p2p players

From the STG POV:
    - Decreases Arcane Legends abandonment rates (meaning less players quit the game due to the hopelessness of ever striking it big that most f2p players currently are feeling)
    - Increases the farming of elite maps ... thereby increasing Ankh sales exponentially, and accordingly elixir and potion sales.

In doing something like this to at least compliment locked crates, it'll give players much more to look forward to, will increase player participation in elite farming, and will increase revenue.

So why hasn't this been implemented?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to raw For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raw View Post
    I feel the same exact way. I understand that the model of having gambling locked crates promotes 'plat binging' where players purchase and use large amounts of platinum in a short period of time. While this may be profitable for STG, it is not sustainable and is not a typical source of revenue for MMORPGs. Typically subscription fees are the primary source of revenue.

Anyway given that subscriptions are not the model of Arcane Legends, I do think that promoting mythic drops (as rare as planar pendant recipe), and arcane drops (as rare as fossil in arena chests for arcane drops) would've been a far superior model. The benefits of this can be viewed from two perspectives.

From the Player POV:
    - additional motivation to farm harder elite maps (that may not have valuable legendary drops)
    - hope that some day you will receive a mythic or arcane drop (much like there is that hope in arena for a recipe/fossil)
    - reduces the dependency on locked crates, and makes players focus more on farming - > increasing the amount of players who farm - > increasing the popularity of Arcane Legends mid to late season (where players generally have nothing to do and quit)
    - Allows f2p players to compete with p2p players

From the STG POV:
    - Decreases Arcane Legends abandonment rates (meaning less players quit the game due to the hopelessness of ever striking it big that most f2p players currently are feeling)
    - Increases the farming of elite maps ... thereby increasing Ankh sales exponentially, and accordingly elixir and potion sales.

In doing something like this to at least compliment locked crates, it'll give players much more to look forward to, will increase player participation in elite farming, and will increase revenue.

So why hasn't this been implemented?
    I agree man and if people dont quit it means STG gets more people buying things like u said before. More people = more Ankh buyers and i feel like if this was done STG would be in the same place they are right now... just with more players, more reputatuion, and a long lasting community of Players... just like any other game, there are things like Locked Crates where a player buys some type of game currency and spends it on gambling for items, but there is also another way to obtain those items... might take long but its worth it in the outcome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shinytoy View Post
    Firstly, I agree with you wholeheartedly Raw. Last night we had a short clash where nobody used any pets (and we considered only using deary). It was almost like we were playing a different game. The movements were slow, the combos were different and I can honestly say that I felt like I didn't know how to play that way.

I don't want to get stuck in the details of your scoring system but I want to clarify one thing and I want everyone to consider this. I own Nekro and I will say here that it's a very good and OP pet. It grants protective shield, speed boost, removes movement impairing, it does armor debuff, etc. etc. What's even nicer about Nekro (which a lot of people have yet to enjoy) is that it is a pet that benefits the entire team. So if one player has Nekro, the entire team now becomes OP. I think that you're correct in giving this pet a 95 score. Heck, you can probably even give Nekro a score of 100, along side with SNS.

Let's compare this to SNS now. SNS is also a great pet. One can argue it's better or about equal in strength as Nekro (hence why you scored 95 vs 100). BUT...(big but), people forget that SNS's score should compound. When you have 2 sns per team, the team can activate both Arcane Abilites at the same time. Fights only last 5 seconds or so anyways usually, so it only makes sense to do so. Thus, the score should not be 100 in that case but, rather, 200 because you will have 6 purple pools and 6 green pools. The same is true when there are 5 sns on a team, where you can activate all of those arcane abilities at the same time. Tell me, who can survive 5 SNS arcane abilities activated at the same time? Where is the skill in that? My problem has never been with SNS per se, but it's with the fact that there is no cool down period between pet uses. See most people run when the opposing team has 3+ SNS so they don't really see it. But I try to challenge myself and I can really say this is more than a challenge. I urge the devs to try and survive in 15 purple pools that are stacked...even if nobody is attacking you, can you survive? In essence, the potential score of SNS is really 500.

See, Samael's panic cannot be stacked. If you hit 5 samael AA's simultaneously, only 1 gets used and the other 4 are wasted. If 5 Singe AA's are activated at the same time, you don't get super stats, right? No, you get the stat boost from only 1 AA and the other 4 are wasted. Nekro even goes as far as to give about a 5 second cool down period between uses. This makes the 3rd nekro on a team totally useless and in many instances, the 2nd Nekro is useless as well.

So, I ask why is this the case? Is this a long overlooked bug? I mean, who is crazy enough to stay around and fight 3 or 4 SNS, so I think this bug has been long overlooked.
    Wow, well explained Shiny.
    Its true PVP is no more Players vs Players but unfortunately it's Pet's Vs Pet's.
    L n L arcane ability has been beautifully executed.
    But SnS is something you cannot counter against that easily.
    I'm an active PVP player and i have seen lot of clashes end in just few seconds, i don't see where the player skills are being tested.
    When there are Sns poison pools spread over, 1st thing i try to do is locate a spot where there isn't any pool/pools that would kill me in seconds.
    Being a warrior , I find it extremely difficult to survive with 8000 Heath and 2.8k Armor.
    I cant even imagine how tough it must b for a Rogue / Mage who hardly has half the Health n Armor of a Warrior.
    It's even harder for me to imagine ppl who use Legendary gears n pets to even survive for a second in those pools.
    Its very disappointing to view from a player point who owns legendary gears n enters PVP for having fun n ends up with frustration for getting killed not by an opponent but by an opponent's pet which is more over powered then the opponent itself.

Below video shows how just 2 SNS can impact in PVP (CTF). I recorded the below video when i realized i had disconnected.

https://youtu.be/8rSxFUWbpGI

The above visual shows 6 Posion pools (Death Pools) and 6 health pools.
    That's just 2 SnS.
    Add another SNS make it 3.
    Now, its 9 Poison n 9 health pools.
    Let's assume we some how managed to land on a spot ( Trust me concentrating to find a spot just to survive is the last thing you wanna do when u r in PVP trying to kill an opponent ) where there isn't poison. Here all you trying to do is to survive. Even if u manage to survive and hit ur opponent ... Bang.. Wow we totally forgot abt the Health pools that wouldn't let ur opponent die.
    All i'm trying to say is when there are so many pools spread across ur path all u r thinking is Survival and not thinking abt countering ur opponent or chasing ur opponents DPS.
    Its insane to imagine 4 or 5 SNS in a team. That's like playing in God Mode.
    SNS AA needs to be looked upon which is impacting PVP.
    I think there are just 150 + SNS in the server which is a minority when compared to other pets which are still loot-able from Locked Crates.

I really hope STS will try to see from a Player point.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Givemeahellyeah For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Givemeahellyeah View Post
    Wow, well explained Shiny.
    Its true PVP is no more Players vs Players but unfortunately it's Pet's Vs Pet's.
    L n L arcane ability has been beautifully executed.
    But SnS is something you cannot counter against that easily.
    I'm an active PVP player and i have seen lot of clashes end in just few seconds, i don't see where the player skills are being tested.
    When there are Sns poison pools spread over, 1st thing i try to do is locate a spot where there isn't any pool/pools that would kill me in seconds.
    Being a warrior , I find it extremely difficult to survive with 8000 Heath and 2.8k Armor.
    I cant even imagine how tough it must b for a Rogue / Mage who hardly has half the Health n Armor of a Warrior.
    It's even harder for me to imagine ppl who use Legendary gears n pets to even survive for a second in those pools.
    Its very disappointing to view from a player point who owns legendary gears n enters PVP for having fun n ends up with frustration for getting killed not by an opponent but by an opponent's pet which is more over powered then the opponent itself.

Below video shows how just 2 SNS can impact in PVP (CTF). I recorded the below video when i realized i had disconnected.

https://youtu.be/8rSxFUWbpGI

The above visual shows 6 Posion pools (Death Pools) and 6 health pools.
    That's just 2 SnS.
    Add another SNS make it 3.
    Now, its 9 Poison n 9 health pools.
    Let's assume we some how managed to land on a spot ( Trust me concentrating to find a spot just to survive is the last thing you wanna do when u r in PVP trying to kill an opponent ) where there isn't poison. Here all you trying to do is to survive. Even if u manage to survive and hit ur opponent ... Bang.. Wow we totally forgot abt the Health pools that wouldn't let ur opponent die.
    All i'm trying to say is when there are so many pools spread across ur path all u r thinking is Survival and not thinking abt countering ur opponent or chasing ur opponents DPS.
    Its insane to imagine 4 or 5 SNS in a team. That's like playing in God Mode.
    SNS AA needs to be looked upon which is impacting PVP.
    I think there are just 150 + SNS in the server which is a minority when compared to other pets which are still loot-able from Locked Crates.

I really hope STS will try to see from a Player point.
    i thinkthere were 10 lb slots for each class with some ties. also maybe some ss contest and the locked crate glitch on xmas. with some banned players <40

you and shiny are spot on: the stacking is the problem. wether sns should come back or not is debatable. but to make pvp and timed runs fair for the current and the future player base, the stacking needs to be looked into (and the lb reset). now shoot me!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ardbeg For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

100% right imo if u don't have sns or nekro, PvP n timed runs r just a thing in the past. It is sad tht if u don't spend real life money in game. U have no chance at a one items seems like. I have been playing al now since mid s1 and last week I finally after all tht time looted a Sam egg. Am one of those guys who likes to hunt for their items n not buy my status. Just sad tht sts noes kids play this game and most will never be able to purchase plat not even once. And for tht dang fossil in arena chest I says it's a false . Trully no it's not just say it is since it's so dang rare. Recipe is same way. I have put countless days into arena with no return. Gets very discouraging at Times. Love the game. Work it shat out sts. (Hellsminion)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts

raw, please add ribbit to your best pvp pets list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts

here s just another thought (i know this is a really really weird one):

if you guys would just consider playing ctf as the original intended tactical team game, sns wouldn t give anyone an advantage at all. you all deliberately choose to clash in the middle, then complain that sns is not designed and balanced for that abuse.
    please just spend half a minute thinking about that!

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ardbeg For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Exxile View Post
    STS needs to fine a different way to make money from plat because locks just ruin the point of a RPG. in most MMORPG you have to farm for the best gear not gamble. As others have said with more elite farming comes more use of ankhs = more plat to buy ankhs. I think STS should consider letting us farm stuff for 2 weeks and see how it is. Until changes are made it is pet v pet. And please make SNS AA non stackable that would help pvp so much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
    here s just another thought (i know this is a really really weird one):

if you guys would just consider playing ctf as the original intended tactical team game, sns wouldn t give anyone an advantage at all. you all deliberately choose to clash in the middle, then complain that sns is not designed and balanced for that abuse.
    please just spend half a minute thinking about that!
    Yes, I'm sure a warrior running using nekro and flagging would be easy to stop - if the game actually was played "capture the flag" the nekro nerf threads would be amazing.

I stopped playing this game for a reason. Almost all of the gear in game revolves around gambling. The amount of money some people spend on this game is staggering, but intended. And, honestly, no one from season 1,2,3 that is still playing is even playing the same game anymore - it's a similar feel but the cost threshold in order to come back into the game is mind boggling. In essence, the skeleton of the game remains, but the actual cladding is nothing but. There is no coming back from how the game evolved, and sadly, that's just how it is.

I would be happy if the code got out and someone put a version of AL out that is permanently capped at a lower season.
    ORIGINAL ART BY CARLOS ORTEGA ELIZALDE
    46 R/W/M | <E N I G M A T I C> | CARROTS

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jexetta For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,042 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jexetta View Post
    Yes, I'm sure a warrior running using nekro and flagging would be easy to stop - if the game actually was played "capture the flag" the nekro nerf threads would be amazing.

I stopped playing this game for a reason. Almost all of the gear in game revolves around gambling. The amount of money some people spend on this game is staggering, but intended. And, honestly, no one from season 1,2,3 that is still playing is even playing the same game anymore - it's a similar feel but the cost threshold in order to come back into the game is mind boggling. In essence, the skeleton of the game remains, but the actual cladding is nothing but. There is no coming back from how the game evolved, and sadly, that's just how it is.

I would be happy if the code got out and someone put a version of AL out that is permanently capped at a lower season.

This post is so completely accurate. It is sad what the game has turned into.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

As usual, you hit the nail right on the head raw. PvP is now pet vs pet. As of now tdm, is like this. You have a nekro and opponents have none, you win. You can even win 2-3 on one with not much of a problem. As an experiment, I went into tdm with a friend if mine who owns nekro decked out in a full tarlok set, an epic ring and a lvl 31 bonechill bow. All my friend did was gve me nekro shield. The only rogue who beat me one on one had a planar amulet and an arcane ring. Mages with anything less than planar amulet could not win. This was on no part skill. All I did was spam arrows and throw down packs when necessary. There were the occasional one comboes through my low armor, but if I had been using regular gear, those could have been easily avoided.

Since the release of samael l, which was when arcane legends died and pet legends was born, pets have become essential if you want to compete in PvP. I did not PvP till s4, but when I did, I could manage just fine with my crate bow and malison. Now, walking into PvP with an expert bow and ending up against a nekro user is pretty much a hopeless fight. May as well fight with your fists for all the damage you can do. As of now, two or three guilds hold almost all the nekro and sns players, and hence dominate PvP, which is another major issue that needs to be addressed.

Today, most people run the second they see a nekro. I disagree with that mentality, but it is not baseless. The only way to survive an encounter with a nekro in PvP is to run, or get one of your own. Sts is continually coming up with new ways for pets to change the game. Breeze freezes in PvP, something that was never done before, and an entire class had a skill that could have done the same thing but was not allowed to for fear of them becoming OP. Maridos can banish on its PA now. What's next? A pet that can banish in pvp? I wouldn't be surprised. The game is slowly but surely deteriorating. I for one am hopelessly tired of this game and the utter incompetence of the devs and mods to fix the issues that need to be fixed. Instead, we get these stupid skill description changes that.nobody gives a hoot about. The only reason I still play is the social aspect and the hope that the upcoming expansion won't follow the familiar sts pattern if being trash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

i disagree with pets being the key factor in timed runs, its all about which team uses macro and auto pots the best

28. The Following User Says Thank You to lonakana For This Useful Post: