Thread: Effective Damage per Second (eDPS) as function of enemy armor class

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Effective Damage per Second (eDPS) as function of enemy armor class

Since I´ve only used bows so far, I often wonder why so many birds carry heavy X-bows, and why pink X-bows are sold so quickly at respectable prices (the X-bow used in the present example was sold after 5 min after I found in the shop it for 7999). Using the excellent data from Physiologic, I therefore compared effective DPS (eDPS) of a lvl. 30 X-bow and bow, as a function of enemy armor class. I assumed a hit-rate of 85,6 % with both weapons (see Physiologics post), and also considered critical hits since armor-substracted damage is less relative to total damage when scoring a critical hit.

Edit: I was wrong on this point. Armor is actually subtracted twice from critical hits, crits does therefore not help to overcome high enemy armor.

Also, in this example Focus skill is active increasing crit to 35 % (approximate number!).

Bows comapred are Jewel Thiefs Heavy Crossbow (pink, lvl. 30, damage 40-54, speed 1.4, DPS of weapon only: 33,6) and Jewel Thiefs Recon Bow (pink, lvl. 30, damage 25-34, speed 0.7, DPS of weapon only: 42,1). To show how eDPS was calculated relative to enemy armor, I exemplify with enemy armor = 10:

Using this "algorithm", I plotted eDPS against enemy armor for the two weapons:

I finally get it. Despite higher DPS for the bow, the two weapons perform equally in terms of eDPS already at enemy armor = 20. After that, the X-bow performs better. Therefore, the X-bow is the logical choice for low-lvl archers in high-level dungeons!
    Last edited by EightFeathers; 04-08-2011 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Excellent post proving why base-damage is better than DPS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Wow neat and organized and i can actually understand it. Good work, btw welcome to the forums.
    56 Majormajic - 55 Majortank - 5 Majorfive
    Pocket Legend Inc.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Cool.

Can't wait to see more L30s in BS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Now add 40 damage to each item for a bear rage (which is 60 2/3 of the time). Note it is added to damage, not dps, which makes it benefit faster weapons.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Precisely why slower recharging, but heavier weapons are preferred.

The optimal recharge time is probably 2 seconds for dealing with mobs and slower for dealing with bosses (as they have very high armor). You don't want slower than 2 seconds against mobs because there are many targets and this leads to overkill. By contrast, against bosses, you want a weapon that deals as much damage as possible per hit for maximum effective damage.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

A caveat to a caveat! - Effective DPS works clean on paper but take into account armor debuffs that your party can do. On paper, you can assume there are absolutely no enemy being armor debuffed, so damage seems much more favorable to look at than effective DPS.

This is hardly the case on the field, where you have bears, archers, and mages constantly debuffing armor from mobs of enemies at a time. At many times, enemy armor may go way below the armor threshold (in your example, 20) so that the Recon bow reigns supreme, and effective DPS is actually better than damage. Of course, enemies die way too fast for us to see any discernible difference between the two weapons, but this can be seen a bit better when you're at bosses.

In any case, this is a very awesome graph that easily exemplifies the significance of effective DPS. I may steal it later...with your permission (and credit you) of course

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Armor substracted twice from critical hits

In any case, this is a very awesome graph that easily exemplifies the significance of effective DPS. I may steal it later...with your permission (and credit you) of course
    Thanks, you have all permissions! However, reading one of your posts this morning, I realize that armor is substracted twice from critical hits. This changes the graph a bit:

With the adjusted calculations both weapons perform similar already at enemy armor = 10, X-bow being more powerful after this point. Although I get how important armor debuffs are in practical play, I do not think enemy armor in high-level dungeons are debuffed much below 10. Therefore, I think my point is still valid for low-level characters in high-level dungeons (assuming calculations are correct )

If anyone is interested in the whole set of data (in case I made more mistakes ), look here. I really would appreciate if someone has the time to verify the calculations, send me a message if you want the Excel source-file by email.
    Last edited by EightFeathers; 04-07-2011 at 05:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

This is hardly the case on the field, where you have bears, archers, and mages constantly debuffing armor from mobs of enemies at a time. At many times, enemy armor may go way below the armor threshold (in your example, 20) so that the Recon bow reigns supreme, and effective DPS is actually better than damage. Of course, enemies die way too fast for us to see any discernible difference between the two weapons, but this can be seen a bit better when you're at bosses.
    Not all PUGs will debuff (As an example, it may surprise you but there are some level 50 birds with as few as 1 point in break armor. I have even met a level 55 bird who claimed that they had 0 points in break armor, having maxed out a lot of other skills.). Scary, but true.

That said, even debuffed, targets are still going to have armor - how much will depend on each target. Remember, mage and bear debuffs don't stack, and only break armor stacks for birds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

lv30 recon bow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kossi View Post
    lv30 recon bow?
    Your point being you want me to compare some high-level bows, more relevant for high-level dungeons? I found two comparable weapons in my inventory, a ballista and bow of the nimble (greens). This is what I found:

The two weapons perform similarly at enemy armor = 70. After that, the ballista is better. In AO2 Physiologic has data indicating that mobs have armor of 70 or less, making bow the better choice. Bosses might be another matter entirely, though. Even after de-buffing. I will try to find some de-buffed armor-values of bosses in TotGO tonight

Ellyidol, Major: Thanks for welcoming me!

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Now add 40 damage to each item for a bear rage (which is 60 2/3 of the time). Note it is added to damage, not dps, which makes it benefit faster weapons.
    That would really seem to favor weapon speed over damage!

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    The optimal recharge time is probably 2 seconds for dealing with mobs and slower for dealing with bosses (as they have very high armor).
    If you want me to compare a weapon speed 2 sec weapon with another, just give me the stats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a thread that has the details of the enemies? Like their armor value? For mobs and bosses. That would be another nice project if such a thread does not exist.

Some sort of Pokedex but for enemy monsters lol.

EDIT: That way we can have an idea of what armor we are up against when testing what you have found.

Does crit play a factor?
    Last edited by shmoo; 04-08-2011 at 03:46 AM.
    =================================================
    In-game characters: Ishmu, Archer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shmoo View Post
    Does crit play a factor?
    In the beginning I thought so, since I believed armor was only subtracted once from critical hits. This favored high DPS / low damage weapons, since a crit would deal damage anyway to mobs with high armor. But in a Physiologic thread I saw data that armor is subtracted twice from crits. For this reason, what weapon is most effective in therms of eDPS seems actually not to be affected by critical hits at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EightFeathers View Post

If you want me to compare a weapon speed 2 sec weapon with another, just give me the stats.
    I was talking about a hypothetical weapon, although I'm sure something exists. It may also help in that slow hard hitting weapons offer more skill damage, except for strength weapons where 2h weapons actually offer less skill damage.

Quote Originally Posted by shmoo View Post
    Is there a thread that has the details of the enemies? Like their armor value? For mobs and bosses. That would be another nice project if such a thread does not exist.

Some sort of Pokedex but for enemy monsters lol.

EDIT: That way we can have an idea of what armor we are up against when testing what you have found.

Does crit play a factor?
    Here you go:
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...NPC-Compendium

Crit is just 2x damage and is independent of enemy armor, dodge, and your hit.

Crit damage = 2 x normal damage - 2 x enemy armor
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 04-08-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

This is great! I see the effort and its displayed beatifully! welcome to forums btw!!
    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8743/cerealsigpicfinal.png
    Signature Credits: Rebel