Thread: Let's Quit Pretending We Know What We''re Talking About

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Default Let's Quit Pretending We Know What We''re Talking About

It's great to be concerned whether STS is making a profit or not, but the fact is few, if any, of us has any clue about the actual financial status of STS. All we know for certain is that STS is currently operating. THATS IT!

STS is a private company and they have never, to my knowledge, publicly released any kind of financial information whatsoever. I seriously doubt that will change anytime soon. WE HAVE NO HARD FINANCIAL NUMBERS TO DISCUSS. ZIPPO. ZILCH. NADA.

A lot of recent discussion has centered on the radical change in the prices of most mythic and arcane items. It is good that STS knows how it's players feel about the changes, but we need to stop fooling ourselves into thinking we know whether the change is good or not. Most players clearly feel positive about the change, but we don't know whether it is good or bad for STS' bottom line.

Facts and Observations

• The state of the Arcane Legends economy is not necessarily a reflection of STS' profits.
    • STS changed the pricing model for Arcane Legends. As before, it is a mix of Free to Play and Pay to Play. Only STS knows what the real ratio is. We can only guess, we don't actually know.
    • We also can only guess why STS changed model mix. There are a number of possible motives, but most likely it was to protect their interests. They are interested in keeping Arcane Legends alive and well.
    • My personal guess is the change was made to move Arcane Legends' pricing model closer to similar games that are known to be profitable and sustainable.
    • Arcane Legends is STS' largest source of revenue, by far. The future of Spacetime Studious depends on a profitable and sustainable Arcane Legends. They need it to be profitable, Arcane Legends isn't a just a game to them, it puts food on their tables.
    • STS isn't stupid, stupid. Just because they don't tell you what they're doing (nobody's business but theirs) doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. Oh, you want proof they aren't stupid? They actually learn from their mistakes. Do you learn from your mistakes, dear player? Oh, so glad to hear you do, too.
    • Protip: Your personal experiences do not constitute Proof Positive that what you know is the Absolute Truth. Oh, your friend told you they opened 10 locked and got 10 shards? And you totally believe them cuz your friend would never lie to YOU cuz you totally know them they just like a bff in real life. Online friends never lie, ya know. They're always right, facts be damned. Emotions = like totally true real reality and stuff.
    • Protip: Dear OP player, you're not the expert you think you are. This is a special message for those players who think they are something really really special for no legitimate reason. Some of them have been around a long time and feel the acquisition of great pets and great gear means that everyone should look up to them and listen to their great advice. These player overestimate their worth and act like they're super-duper-important when they're really not that important. Because they speak with authority, new players believe them and make mistakes because of them. They know who they are.

Here's hoping some of you get what I'm saying here.

Edit: If the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't fit, it's not yours!

This thread has received some responses indicating that some feel it was targeting them specifically when nothing could be further from the truth.

A few more facts and observations

• Not all OP players have been around a long time.
    • Not all long-term players are OP.
    • The "STS isn't stupid, stupid" bullet point is merely a play on the well-known political phrase "It's the economy, stupid." It even has it's own Wikipedia entry.
    • I'm a long-term player and I aspire to become an OP player - hopefully one that isn't a know-it-all.
    • The vast majority of long-term players on the forums are humble, helpful and valuable kind.
    Last edited by Niixed; 07-14-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Niixed For This Useful Post: