Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Stable - What to expect in a future update?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avikk View Post
    I minus one this! If you name your pet you should remember it!
    I dont have a full stable and have to look up on the forum some times to remember what pet a person is refering too. After playing for three years, we do forget some times the less improtant things in the game. i think it would be very useful to have the original name option
    Last edited by Avaree; 10-28-2015 at 02:57 PM.
    Avy
    12-2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I would say a "favorite pets" list would be good enough.

I have to go through all pets to summon that Slobber!

Also please add in brackets the pet's original name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts

coloring to names / the box outside the name, to describe its rarity

better and detailed description to AA (duration, cooldown),

better and detailed description to passive (chance, effectiveness, and duration -> e.g. 10% chance of 20% armor reduction for 4s)
    you might also want to try to describe them in icons which you put some legend (explanation) somewhere

and lastly, lore story of the pet, haha
    always milking, no service
    AL IGN: Extrapayah/Extraparah/Extrajelek
    Support Shared Pet Stable Please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-M View Post
    So then this?

Order first by owned/unowned
    then, by pet level
    then, by pet rarity (highest to lowest)
    then, alphabetical by name
    In another game I've played, they had "Heroes", ordered in:
    Owned, then Rarity (arcane to rare), then Level, unowned (unowned repeats the sorting system)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Ordering pets by level is what causes the whole quality of life issue in the first place, because the position of a pet constantly changes as you level it up, and then once it has overtaken all of your other pets in level it remains at the top of your list even if you "retire" it.

The stable needs a mechanism whereby a player can arrange his pets so that he has quick access to the pets he is currently using the most regardless of the level or name of that pet. In situations such as:

- A player wants to have quick access to a pet which they will use regularly but only in select circumstances (eg Kelvin / Abaddon). The player does not want to grind or even really level up this pet, but simply wants to be able to quickly access it should they need to take advantage of it. When the moment has passed and another pet becomes the new Kelvin for a particular boss, the player might want to retire this pet and bring pets back to the top which are more relevant to the content they are currently playing the most.

(You can see from the SS below that Abaddon is right near the top of my stable.... because I used him so much when levelling that he capped, but once I had finished capping I have literally never used him once, and yet he is stuck there.)

- Events. Players achieve the event pet and wish to use it more regularly for the duration of the event, for novelty value and to show off their prize, while not really planning to regularly use this pet once the event is over.

- New pets. Players obtain a new pet which they do wish to access frequently. They want to use the pet in their regular rotation without grinding it's level, so it would be convenient to have this pet at the top of the list right from level 1.

- Players decide they do want to grind a particular pet, fitting in pet levelling between their regular activity. They find themselves regularly scrolling down to find the position of this pet in the list, which is cumbersome already and on top of that, the position constantly changes because the pet moves each time it gains a level.

Some examples of systems which would work:

1. A simple arrow system to shift pet position up or down the list. If a player gets a pet he plans on using a lot he can fast track the pet up to somewhere near the top of the list.

Name:  stable1.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  564.8 KB

2. A system whereby the current pet ordering system remains the same but a play can check a box, in order to have a pet "promoted" at the top of the list.

Name:  stable2.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  546.7 KB

3. A "quick access" list. Pets would remain ordered by level/most used, but players would be able to select 5 pets to assign to the quick access menu.

This option could be toggled in the setting for people who didn't really feel the need to use it.

(I removed the satchel button to make room because really... who opens the satchel from the stable anyways?)

Name:  stable3.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  521.9 KB

Additionally:

-Don't hide the pets Arcane Ability... the ability doesn't remain a secret, it just means that players who get new pets first are hounded with questions about what the ability is. Players without the pet who are wondering the AA have to find someone with the pet or come out of game to search the forums. This all seems pointless when it could just be displayed in the menu.
    Last edited by Dalmony; 10-28-2015 at 05:07 PM.

6. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Dalmony For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmony View Post
    Ordering pets by level is what causes the whole quality of life issue in the first place, because the position of a pet constantly changes as you level it up, and then once it has overtaken all of your other pets in level it remains at the top of your list even if you "retire" it.

The stable needs a mechanism whereby a player can arrange his pets so that he has quick access to the pets he is currently using the most regardless of the level or name of that pet. In situations such as:

- A player wants to have quick access to a pet which they will use regularly but only in select circumstances (eg Kelvin / Abaddon). The player does not want to grind or even really level up this pet, but simply wants to be able to quickly access it should they need to take advantage of it. A player might have wanted to put Kelvin within easy reach when he was regularly used for planar tombs, or abaddon during a new level cap. When the moment has passed, the player might want to retire this pet and bring pets back to the top which are more relevant to the content they are currently playing the most.

- Events. Players achieve the event pet and wish to use it more regularly for the duration of the event, for novelty value and to show off their prize, while not really planning to regularly use this pet once the event is over.

- New pets. Players obtain a new pet which they do wish to access frequently. They want to use the pet in their regular rotation without grinding it's level, so it would be convenient to have this pet at the top of the list right from level 1.

- Players decide they do want to grind a particular pet, fitting in pet levelling between their regular activity. They find themselves regularly scrolling down to find the position of this pet in the list, which is cumbersome already and on top of that, the position constantly changes because the pet moves each time it gains a level.

1. A simple arrow system to shift pet position up or down the list.

Name:  stable1.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  564.8 KB

2. A system whereby the current pet ordering system remains the same but a play can check a box, in order to have a pet "promoted" at the top of the list.

Name:  stable2.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  546.7 KB

3. A "quick access" list. Pets would remain ordered by level/most used, but players would be able to select 5 pets to assign to the quick access menu.

(I removed the satchel button to make room because really... who opens the satchel from the stable anyways?)

Name:  stable3.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  521.9 KB
    Bullseye... That sounds like a winner.....

Official Signature Of Dot Com Entertainment

8.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #27
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts

Thanks Dalmony that's very helpful! What about pets you don't own? In these examples would unowned pets remain the same just ordered below your owned pets?
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

G-M on a roll today!
    Inactive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts

An easier way would be to add another tab inside stable and implement a similar logic to how liquidating items from your inventory works.

Each pet you dismiss is automatically added to that tab (similar to the buy back screen) which can only hold a maximum of 10 pets.

As soon as an 11th (different pet from the previous 10) is dismissed(=added to second tab), the one at the bottom of the list is pushed out. If it's the same, simply move it to the top.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Thanks Dalmony that's very helpful! What about pets you don't own? In these examples would unowned pets remain the same just ordered below your owned pets?
    To be honest I think the main concern people have with the stable is how quickly they can access certain "in favour" pets of their choosing, that they DO own. Because like I mentioned earlier, it can happen that there is a pet we want to quickly access for a certain period of time, and the endless scrolling to find him is where the issue lies.

However, it might be useful to seperate the two. People use the unowned pets list to look up stats and get a preview of the pet... so they will be specifically wanting to browse THAT section of the list and it is true that scrolling is once again going to get irritating as the list grows longer.

I don't think the order matters as much... but a tab system would probably be useful.

Name:  stable4.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  518.9 KB

Sorry for all the pictures but I find they give a better idea than a descriptive paragraph.

I've moved the play/trick/feed buttons.... those could probably all be toggled together from one button which triggers a pop up "interact" menu, which would pop up a menu containing the "feed/trick/play" buttons, overlaying the favourites area.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madnex View Post
    An easier way would be to add another tab inside stable and implement a similar logic to how liquidating items from your inventory works.

Each pet you dismiss is automatically added to that tab (similar to the buy back screen) which can only hold a maximum of 10 pets.

As soon as an 11th (different pet from the previous 10) is dismissed(=added to second tab), the one at the bottom of the list is pushed out. If it's the same, simply move it to the top.
    I think its best to take automation out of the equation entirely and allow players to specify what does or doesn't appear in this list. So that you don't end up with deary on the list everytime you summon him for laughs, or ehtyl on there everytime you use him in a guild hall disco.

I mean I know that would be resolved by resummoning the pet you actually wanted to keep on there afterwards but why not just eliminate this unnecessary extra complication and let the player dictate the list themselves.

I like the idea of it being in a different place. Rather than being inside the stable, a good place to have it would be just directly on the main screen just above the pet skill button. That would make it a case of "Faves >> Pet" rather than "Menu >> Stable >> Faves >> Pet"

Basically either is better and far less frustrating than "Menu >> Stable >> Scroll Scroll Scroll >> Up a bit >> Down a bit >> Argh where is it?!?!? >> Pet"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts

if we really are going to have favorite slots, probably a sorting start from owned/not owned, then rarity, and then alphabet will work the best

ofc if we will have owned/not owned tab, that first priority sorting is not needed

with the current system, we normally level up our favorite pets, or intentionally level up some pet to make it well positioned,

but with favorite slots, that intention will losing its meaning and the list will purely become a list for searching only, i think we will rather it is not sorted by level

p.s. do we also have someone to give pics of wanted inventory design?
    Last edited by extrapayah; 10-28-2015 at 11:23 PM.
    always milking, no service
    AL IGN: Extrapayah/Extraparah/Extrajelek
    Support Shared Pet Stable Please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmony View Post

- A player wants to have quick access to a pet which they will use regularly but only in select circumstances (eg Kelvin / Abaddon). The player does not want to grind or even really level up this pet, but simply wants to be able to quickly access it should they need to take advantage of it. When the moment has passed and another pet becomes the new Kelvin for a particular boss, the player might want to retire this pet and bring pets back to the top which are more relevant to the content they are currently playing the most.

(You can see from the SS below that Abaddon is right near the top of my stable.... because I used him so much when levelling that he capped, but once I had finished capping I have literally never used him once, and yet he is stuck there.)

1. A simple arrow system to shift pet position up or down the list. If a player gets a pet he plans on using a lot he can fast track the pet up to somewhere near the top of the list.

Additionally:

-Don't hide the pets Arcane Ability... the ability doesn't remain a secret, it just means that players who get new pets first are hounded with questions about what the ability is. Players without the pet who are wondering the AA have to find someone with the pet or come out of game to search the forums. This all seems pointless when it could just be displayed in the menu.
    Give this guy a medal!

I like the first suggestion where you can order your pets the way you want.
    Last edited by Anasinator; 10-29-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The stable is already ordered by owned/unowned pets and the owned ones are ordered by the level of the pet. The issue is that it is hard to keep scrolling through all of them to find a certain one to use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Dalmony's ideas=exactly what we need. It is irritating to scroll and scroll to find the pet i need.
    From mortal hope springs immortal power
    toons: goebejake rogue, saltspear mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. This is definitely something we are aware of and want to address. What if the list of pets in the stable was ordered by pet level, highest to lowest? Would that help?
    Hi G-M thanks for taking an interest in this thread. I'd love to see us being able to 'hide' pets we don't use. Or a way to select favourite pets (up to 5 maybe) that always appear at the top of the stable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extrapayah View Post
    and lastly, lore story of the pet, haha
    Forum competition to come up with best back story of each pet, winner gets a gold version of that pet!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to acewasabi For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts

I'm am good with any of Dalmony's suggestions. I think his first SS with arrows UP and DOWN is the simplest and not much change is needed. I too want to push some pets that are capped down the list so that I don't see them again xD Would be nice to have a pet switch button just on the main screen to avoid menus altogether, but this Arrow arrangement is close enough!

Unowned pets just sort them by Arcane, Mythic, (Legendary/Epics together), and then sort by Alphabetical order. It's not necessary to put the newest Arcanes/mythics/event pets released near the top of unowned pets. This just makes it more confusing! But either way, people are mainly concerned with which pets we get to see at the top, anything after the first 5 pets can just leave it the same if it's less work.
    Last edited by Kakashis; 10-29-2015 at 03:00 PM.
    IGN: Kakashi <Deviant Misfits> - We run PVE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ardbeg View Post
    can we please have an option to display the original name? it s getting harder and harder to memorize all the pets on different toons...
    Which is why I stopped giving names to my pets... Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    302 Posts

I really don't know which of the ideas listed here is the easiest for the coders, but I would be also happy with say, 3-4 loadouts each containing, say, up to 10 pets. Any pet can be of course part of different loadouts.

In that way, I could have for example:

Elite pets
    Underground (tombs) pets
    Pets I want to level up
    PvP stable