Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mages are over appreciated

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeDreams View Post
    This is hardly specific to birds. In games without a good tank (which is most the time) it seems I'm usually stuck with the aggro, since a weird amount of birds/mages in pug don't max out their dmg-dealing ability.
    Agreed, not specific to all birds, but those birds that focus strictly on DEX and use a 2H high end weapon/set. PUGs are unpredictable at best; sometimes bears don't taunt or mages don't heal and it can quite easily turn into a free-for-all out there. All I'm saying is that birds with the right build can easily take aggro away from bears or mages, and they don't have the luxury of an insane amount of hp or a mana shield. All one can do at that point is use Evasion and hope for the best while kiting and praying that some reckless bear or mage doesn't hurl that boss right at you.

Edit: The point of a talon/shield set is survivability. If the group isn't working out well together, it's every man, animal, and mythical creature for themselves! The talon/shield is the avian version of a mana shield, it's our last line of defense. Also, I personally switch between Custom set and Sewer set for bosses, depending on how long they may take and if I have the mana pots to grind them out. Still I'm not saying I want or even expect a thank you, just pointing out that I've never actually saw anyone thank a bird no matter what their accomplishments were in battle.
    Last edited by Gluttony; 06-21-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

also, rev and heal require mages to look at the health of other players as they're playing which is something i never do when playing w my bear and bird and this does adds a new dynamic to the game as a mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ECHUSER:330951
    also, rev and heal require mages to look at the health of other players as they're playing which is something i never do when playing w my bear and bird and this does adds a new dynamic to the game as a mage.
    I guess but if ur a skilled mage (or even a mediocre one for that matter) looking at others health should be second nature. I do it constantly without even realizing it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hehe, I love how you describe the chaos of pug. It can sure be frustrating, but I just love the ad hoc-ness of it all. And learning to do levels you've run over and over already with an unorthodox team can keep the game kinda fresh. : ) My favorite is 4 bears and 1 mage - such a unique challenge! Once did 4 birds and Mage - 0.0

I don't really get why talons are so underpowered, or why birds can't have 1h guns. The DPS class becomes totally neutered as soon as they equip a shield? I think it's just a little extreme. I haven't used my bird alt much precisely because I don't like the idea of a wing pretty much never being an option - limits the different eq setups too much.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ECHUSER View Post
    I wouldn't say it requires you to look at the health, you can just spam heal when mobs are present. As for revive, you should be able to see all your party members at any given time, but that big red exclamation point is pretty obvious. I look at the party status section to see what skills the other players are using, what buffs are in play and who is taking aggro, so it's not just for mages to use it's a tool for the entire party no matter which class you are.
    Last edited by Gluttony; 06-21-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Revving folks doesn't cost a thing.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    Well that depends on who you run into in the vast realm that is Alterra, I recall a time when reviving cost plat and mages would hold your life hostage and only commit to a revival spell if they received due compensation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I think most everyone has a silent gratefulness for the other players in the team. Mages get the most verbal thanks, but I think that the thanks is shared equally. Archers send a massive load of damage on the enemies with ranged attacks (which helps a lot). Warriors attract the mobs and bosses and take the hit for the team (too bad that the pull isn't very effective). I play all three classes and have seen what they can do. I think the love is shared all ways, just not literally being told "thank you."
    TVIS - 56 Warrior | Pocket Legends Founder
    TVIS - 35 Commando
    TVIS - 31 Male Vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

I appreciate the player in how they play, their attitude to me and other players, and there communication skills. I have played with a mage that said "pay me to revive you" and that really made me angry! >:[

Archers should be more appreciated for their damage... Without an archer in Balefort Sewers most of the Main Bosses would take a long time. For example the Bandit Queen. Very difficult for a group to beat without the DPS of an Archer!!
    Currahee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

It's interesting to note that a lot of players here insist that the class of their main character is the most "under-appreciated" class.

I suspect that birds are probably getting the appreciation that they deserve. True, they do (in theory at least) the most damage per on a single target. On the other hand, individual players will differ. I was once in a party with myself, a second pure int, a dex mage, a pally, and a bear. I have a rough idea of how long it takes to kill the queen. In that case, that party managed to kill the Queen faster than parties where I've seen 2 birds in.

The other question becomes, what do birds and bears expect? To be thanked individually by the host at the end of each run? Even mages, whom the OP considers "over-appreciated" don't get that treatment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I think people show appreciation when they group with me or play with me.

Yes verbal thinks is nice. It does seem to be more frequent with mages, but I've gotten thanked on my bear for being a good bear -- some people can be quite fawning, in fact. I've also been asked to help kill x, y, z on my bird and personally, when I play my bird, I'm very happy when something dies quickly -- people DO know it's the bird -- or when I get the boss chasing me a lot, cause I know I'm doing my job. Of course, I would hope the bear would rope the boss in most of the time and my slave-mages throw heals so birdie can do his job

I've been in lots of groups where, when someone leaves or when we're breaking up, everyone thanks each other for great runs. And we all friend each other. I think that's appreciation and more than enough of it.

Actually when a group is going well, we've already been laughing and talking and goofing about with emotes or chat and otherwise having fun, so appreciation is already obvious.

PL players are super nice!

For the above reasons, I also do not friend bears who do not know to lead at all, mages who do not heal or rev, and birds who cannot seem to do any damage, though the player really would have to be pretty bad. I'm also a bit stricter about a high level than a low level. I think by about level 20, a player should realize they've got skills and be trying to use those skills.
    Last edited by Fyrce; 06-21-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Grrr.... On this subject... Joined a PUG on my 26 bear that was going to be a 35 twink(now changed to tank)... Just played w/ a lvl 27 Mage with a 2h sword that all they did was hack and slash... Other bear died... I cleared mob group... Stopped, and asked Mage why they were not using ANY skills whatsoever... They took off and started fighting more mobs... No rev for fallen bear, they respawned at entrance.... During my typing(also my fault) Mage brought back a group to me.... Resulting in my alts first death (oh well, it happens)... Then promptly leaves game....

I will refuse to play with another Mage of this sort, the bears and birds during this game were definitely ok in my book... If I could remember their name I would thank them... But this Mage makes me regret my main Mage....

End rant... Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes, as well as grammar, etc... On phone, so it's a bit tricky!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wretch View Post
    Grrr.... On this subject... Joined a PUG on my 26 bear that was going to be a 35 twink(now changed to tank)... Just played w/ a lvl 27 Mage with a 2h sword that all they did was hack and slash... Other bear died... I cleared mob group... Stopped, and asked Mage why they were not using ANY skills whatsoever... They took off and started fighting more mobs... No rev for fallen bear, they respawned at entrance.... During my typing(also my fault) Mage brought back a group to me.... Resulting in my alts first death (oh well, it happens)... Then promptly leaves game....

I will refuse to play with another Mage of this sort, the bears and birds during this game were definitely ok in my book... If I could remember their name I would thank them... But this Mage makes me regret my main Mage....

End rant... Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes, as well as grammar, etc... On phone, so it's a bit tricky!
    I once played AO3 with a mage that thought Heal was Rev! Situations like these are frustrating, but it gives us opportunities to help people learn.
    TVIS - 56 Warrior | Pocket Legends Founder
    TVIS - 35 Commando
    TVIS - 31 Male Vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I agree I jus do what a mage does nothing more I try to keep anyone from dying and if u die ur reved before u can type it xDDD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'd just like to point out that the 3-sec cool down for heal is longer than you think

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

This was a very entertaining read. I have 3 toons and my bear was my third. He quickly became my favorite. I think tanking is exteremely fun and much more fun than any of the other classes. However, this game does not separate heling "mages" from attack "mages" mages are expected to do all and when i run as my elf, i am constantly thanked when i rez. i reply "np, just doing my job." I have never seen anyone thank a bear, but when i started tanking, i starte realizing what is involved. When i am with a good tank, i make sure he is appreciated, at least by me. I have only seen someone thank a bird when fighing OL or the shadow bosses that have shields. I have never been thanked on my bear or bird :-(
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    You are correct sir! No elf spells really cost a thing. In most cases, i never use pots. Mana regen is so high the only time they are needed is if the shield is on and they get too much aggro. On another note, idk how true this is for a dex mage. i had mine as a paly for levels 40-45 and had no mana issues
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Depends on who you run with, i oersonaly oraise a good team in group efforts, i run my mage the most and yes peeps say thank you all the time i suppose that is because there was an instant blessing, so many people where taught to say ty, when people do somthing for them often without thought..

A well run map is ripe for group praise i love a tank who knows how to do theur job well, with the newngroup combos its not so easy to forget that our dex partners rock after playing all classes most appreciate good game skills from all classes.
    IF YOU BELIEVE YOU WILL ACHIEVE.....
    Just lady..tigerizstar..mivida..ladyhadazza..ladyhadasa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think running through like 20 grates just to save your sorry self, because you didn't do your job correctly merits a simple "ty"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LADYHADASSA View Post
    Depends on who you run with, i oersonaly oraise a good team in group efforts, i run my mage the most and yes peeps say thank you all the time i suppose that is because there was an instant blessing, so many people where taught to say ty, when people do somthing for them often without thought..

A well run map is ripe for group praise i love a tank who knows how to do theur job well, with the newngroup combos its not so easy to forget that our dex partners rock after playing all classes most appreciate good game skills from all classes.
    New GOA, right here? I think so . Sending recommendation, now!
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List