Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Makes Archers Unique?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default What Makes Archers Unique?

I never make a thread to simply complain, unless it is for the benefit of the main point. Please read through the entire thread if you can, so that hopefully you will grasp the point I'm trying to make.

Starting Pocket Legends I wanted to build my character for PvP that would be coming in the future. What has the most DPS in nearly every game? The archer/scout class. So, of course, I chose the archer glass. I became level 30. I loved every aspect of the gameplay, the design, everything that everyone loves. I saw hybrids, and I knew they were useful, but I never knew to what extent....Until PvP rolled around.

If I asked you what the best PvP build was, what would you say? I don't even think you have to give a second thought to this one, it should be pretty obvious if you know your facts. The bow bear has some mad buffs that make it an army tank and with the DPS of an archer it comes with a fully loaded machine gun. I've heard the argument millions of times: Bow bears are over-powered. They can tank, and they can kill as quick as possible. Making my in-game account for mainly PvP purposes, I feel subjected to make this argument. What is the point in a regular archer? If I can have buffs that are 10x as good and I can tank with less deaths, less pots, and still hit very high, why bother? An enchantress heals and helps kill, a bear is a tank that does THE killing, so why bother with an archer? I know that we can't simply strip bow bears of their power, that wouldn't be right in any way. What about upgrading an archer's capabailites, buffs, or more? Possibly. Wouldn't it make sense to have some kind of over-all armor to class stat boost? If I'm an archer and I have archer armor should I get more dexterity, or something along these lines? This might be a solution, but it could cause even more misunderstandings. What can be done then? The archer needs to be unique, in its own way, as the enchantress is to healing and the bear is to tanking. I feel it has been somewhat robbed of its high DPS abilities and combined with the tanking qualities to make an unstoppable machine. What does that leave the archer with that makes him stand out? In my honest opinion, I would say not much at all. He's a bird I guess. I can't make everyone agree with this, but you can't deny most of the facts either. So, for the future of "pure" birds, I wanted to suggest something that can be made specifically for these birds that would make them seperate and put that pillar in the mix seperating them from the over-powered bear, and putting it into a class of its own. I need suggestions from the community, that would help improve the birds status. What can be done without changing whats already done? Lets improve the future. Pets will come out. There will be houses, quests. So much can be done to set classes apart. So what do you have to say about it? Heck, I would be happy enough just to hear that each class gets a different pet. How can we put archers apart? I will put my favorite ideas on the post below. I felt I needed to post this because I don't see much hope to set us apart. We seem to be out-buffed, out maneuvered, and just beat-out. I know everyone won't agree with this, but even if you don't, what suggestions might you have? Thank you for taking time to read all of this, and hopefully I can use your opinion to make the point known.
    Last edited by PvP; 06-10-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Level 45 Archer - Pex
    Among the first archers on Pocket Legends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Reserved for comments and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurion View Post
    Idea: Avians get extra bonus from archer gear, Elves from mage gear, Bears from warrior gear. Example, Focus improves damage if the avian is wearing a bow; Heal increases when the elf wears a staff; 2h sword attack speed becomes faster if a bear equips them. The examples might be overpowered, but they're just to explain the concept.

We don't need to nerf hybrids. Before you guys suggest that a certain skills should do less, remember that these same skills are used by the non-hybrids. But yes I want to find reason to play my avian as a Dex build again, too.

Btw, the OP was talking about how to improve pure archer builds. Let's not turn this thread into another hybrid vs. purebreed flamewar.
    Last edited by PvP; 06-11-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Level 45 Archer - Pex

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think they are op, but avians still do more burst damage. Once the burst is done though the bow bear will generally still do better.

try 2h archer, they are equally ridiculous just like bow bear.

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

Guardian of Alterra King Richie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

@pvp --- I agree completley with this thread .. I feel like pure dex archers are becoming extinct just because of the fact that they cannot stack up to not only hybrids but other classes .. Since the mages got their power up ( which I do agree was much needed ) archers now have trouble taking down a skilled enchantress ! ..

The most obnoxious thing though is the bow bear and bow chantress ! Because they both have a rage ability they can send there dps sky high .. Which an archer just can't stack up to even though were soppoused to be the dps class ..

I know this rant hasn't been helpful to finding a soloution and I don't claim to have one !! Finding a soloution to this problem and all the other balance problems in PvP will be very difficult and the devs definately have there work cut out for them but I do hope that A soloution is found !

@az --- yeah the 2h bird is strong but that's the thing I want to be an archer .. I don't want to have to respec to stack up against obnoxious set ups like the bow bear I want my class to be able to kill your class no matter what it is.. That's fair! And that is the way that every mmo I have played has been !! Every class could stack up against other classes and that was fair .. Ofcourse healers couldn't kill tanks but they could at least survive long enought to run away while healing !
    Last edited by King Richie; 06-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by King Richie View Post
    @az --- yeah the 2h bird is strong but that's the thing I want to be an archer .. I don't want to have to respec to stack up against obnoxious set ups like the bow bear I want my class to be able to kill your class no matter what it is.. That's fair! And that is tge way that every mmo I have played has been !! Every class could stack up against other classes and that was fair .. Ofcourse healers couldn't kill tanks but they could at least survive long enought to run away while healing !
    Exactly! Every class should atleast have a chance against every other class. This is the fair thing, yet it is so hard to accomplish. I think that if we had a wider variety of classes to choose from, the easier that it would be to give everyone a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hoping a dev might see this thread and give their input and what can be done if they choose to do anything. Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate the support.

Level 45 Archer - Pex

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Exactly! Every class should atleast have a chance against every other class. This is the fair thing, yet it is so hard to accomplish. I think that if we had a wider variety of classes to choose from, the easier that it would be to give everyone a chance.
    This is true but because PL is such a small game I can't see more classes being introduced at least soon anyway .. The devs have already hinted on creating a basic character model first so this means no more bears and all that .. This is obviously just to make sure hybrids look normal while holding a weapon not for their class !

But if more classes are introduced this will slightly solve the problem .. UNTILL more way more obnoxious classes are discovered

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

recently i have noticed this and agree completely. come on now, people who say pvp is balanced needs a slap. i play a archer, i was a pure dex archer but now a archer mage because i wanted to try something different. now that ive tryed it im bored and want to go back to being a dex archer. but the thing with archer is as the op says its just a pointless class now

archers should be doing the most damage out of any class period.

why the hell...i mean seriously...WHY are TANKS and HEALERS allowed to do burst damage ANYWHERE NEAR AN ARCHERS!

i dont understand, this damage is to much, its 1 shot madness or 3 shot madness

the benefits of an archer should have been the best burst damage, the BEST RANGE. archer has none of these due to bowbears and bowmages

the pvp is broke, completely broke, the damage has to be stabalized. the bowbears will cry and say NO NO ITS FINE AS IT IS, lol, of course they would say that, now they cant go around killing 3 people in a row and still be alive

mages have their nice aoe damage and healing, bears just have everything right now lol, archers are not weak dont get me wrong but they dont have any reedeming features that make it unique anymore. im getting quite bored of my archer
    Last edited by Sayishere; 06-10-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Sayishere - Archer.

Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

archers lay eggs
    My Name is Vulgarstrike, SilentCries, Ordinary, Attractive, Investment
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    you should be able to have some fun
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnInfinity View Post
    Ahhhhhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

If I had the ability to repic my race I would pick Mage that's how desperate the problem has gotten !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sayishere View Post
    recently i have noticed this and agree completely. come on now, people who say pvp is balanced needs a slap. i play a archer, i was a pure dex archer but now a archer mage because i wanted to try something different. now that ive tryed it im bored and want to go back to being a dex archer. but the thing with archer is as the op says its just a pointless class now

archers should be doing the most damage out of any class period.

why the hell...i mean seriously...WHY are TANKS and HEALERS allowed to do burst damage ANYWHERE NEAR AN ARCHERS!

i dont understand, this damage is to much, its 1 shot madness or 3 shot madness

the benefits of an archer should have been the best burst damage, the BEST RANGE. archer has none of these due to bowbears and bowmages

the pvp is broke, completely broke, the damage has to be stabalized. the bowbears will cry and say NO NO ITS FINE AS IT IS, lol, of course they would say that, now they cant go around killing 3 people in a row and still be alive

mages have their nice aoe damage and healing, bears just have everything right now lol, archers are not weak dont get me wrong but they dont have any reedeming features that make it unique anymore. im getting quite bored of my archer
    Yes I agree. Thats why we can't strip them of their power, all the updates have to be progressive updates for the future, unless we would give archers something like better buffs or bonuses. However I have a feeling that might cause more misunderstandings.

Level 45 Archer - Pex

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PvP View Post
    Yes I agree. Thats why we can't strip them of their power, all the updates have to be progressive updates for the future, unless we would give archers something like better buffs or bonuses. However I have a feeling that might cause more misunderstandings.
    That's what I was trying to get at in my first post !! These minor updates which focus on one class anymore cannot be done they cause more problems then they fix .. What the devs need to do is sit down and think how to fix it make it balanced so everyone can enjoy the class they want to play ! Hybrid or purebread !

The devs have done a great job so far and I belive they can fix this and when this is fixed this game will be a force to reckon with on the MMO scene

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

@pvp --- I agree completley with this thread .. I feel like pure dex archers are becoming extinct just because of the fact that they cannot stack up to not only hybrids but other classes .. Since the mages got their power up ( which I do agree was much needed ) archers now have trouble taking down a skilled enchantress ! ..

The most obnoxious thing though is the bow bear and bow chantress ! Because they both have a rage ability they can send there dps sky high .. Which an archer just can't stack up to even though were soppoused to be the dps class ..

I know this rant hasn't been helpful to finding a soloution and I don't claim to have one !! Finding a soloution to this problem and all the other balance problems in PvP will be very difficult and the devs definately have there work cut out for them but I do hope that A soloution is found !

@az --- yeah the 2h bird is strong but that's the thing I want to be an archer .. I don't want to have to respec to stack up against obnoxious set ups like the bow bear I want my class to be able to kill your class no matter what it is.. That's fair! And that is the way that every mmo I have played has been !! Every class could stack up against other classes and that was fair .. Ofcourse healers couldn't kill tanks but they could at least survive long enought to run away while healing !
    Classes should stack up against each other. To bad hybrids aren't classes. The devs have already stated numerous times that they won't be going away anytime soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Banned i have no where in that post asked for hybrids to be removed ., I asked for a soloution on how to make it fun for everyone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Banned i have no where in that post asked for hybrids to be removed ., I asked for a soloution on how to make it fun for everyone
    I didn't say that you wanted hybrids to be removed. I only posted the dev thing to show that the devs approve of hybrids and that there's no point in complaining. I think the only solution is to add at least 3 more classes and introduce secondary professions to please the hybrid lovers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Yeah I agree with the new classes we have talked about that already .. But untill then a short term soloution must be found .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yeah I agree with the new classes we have talked about that already .. But untill then a short term soloution must be found .
    I dunno man. They aren't classes, so ATTEMPTING to somehow tweak them could screw over the sword and shield user.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I no it's a very delicate process but an attempt hast to be made and if they have already made an attempt thank you and keep trying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No matter what there has to be some kind of solution, there are just too many unsatisfied archers. I'm not so sure new classes are the answer, but we can definitely fix it. Who knows what quests and pets will bring? I'm thinking in the mist of those updates there will be something that seperates us. If not, I (as well as many other archers) might not have enough enthusiasm to make a "bow bear" just to start over and attempt to dominate in PvP which is the only on-going activity other then farming and merchanting.

Level 45 Archer - Pex

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I seriously think warriors are overpowered in general. High armor, high dps, high health, and crazy buffs. It's like fighting a furry version of God.