Thread: A quick study in Pistol/Shield vs. Rifles and Gloves from an Engineers Perspective.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

Default A quick study in Pistol/Shield vs. Rifles and Gloves from an Engineers Perspective.

I've seen some debate since the shields released on what is better to use. This discussion only extends to Engineers, as shields should not be used by coms or ops, imho. For the purposes of this discussion, only lvl 30 non-plat weapons were considered. I also assumed that a shield would be used with the pistol, as without it, why even use a pistol? I feel that the shield I use is the best choice for a pistol/shield Engi, the Limited Class VI Holo-Shield.

Just a note here, the summaries are my opinion, not fact, please don't take them as fact. Review the data I have presented and draw your own conclusions.

I would like to take a second and thank LelouchX, a guildmate of mine, for allowing me to borrow his Custom Atomite. Thanks, bud!

Check out Hullukko's post on dps and damage range effect on skill damage and compare some more. Thank you very much for this!

1. Full plat armor, 5% dodge implant

Black Widow vs. Bionic Crushers

When Bionic Crushers are equipped instead of Black Widow and Limited Class VI Holo-shield you:

LOSE:
    -5 Str
    -5 Dex
    -4 Int
    -2 Hit %
    -15 Health
    -1 Health Regen
    -30 Mana
    -3-6 damage
    -134 Armor

GAIN:
    +9 Dps

Hardly worth the trade there. A decent hit to max health and a big hit to mana for +9 dps isn't worth it.

WINNER: Black Widow

Black Widow vs. Atomic Disperser.

When equipped with the Atomic Disperser instead of Black Widow and Limited Class VI Holo-Shield, you:

LOSE:
    -5 Str
    -9 Int
    -1 Hit%
    -31 Health
    -1 Health Regen
    -36 Mana
    -4 Dps
    -134 Armor

GAIN:
    +4-8 Dmg

Hmm, yeah, not worth the trade offs. An even bigger hit to health and mana make the damage increase seem paltry at best.

Here, I'll compare apples to apples. Black Widow v. Incinerator. Generally, the Incinerator is looked at as a lesser pistol when compared to the Black Widow, but we shall see.

With the Incinerator equipped instead of the Black Widow you:

LOSE:
    -5 Dex
    -1 Hit%
    -3-9 Dmg

GAIN:
    +6 Int
    +17 Health
    +7 Mana
    +4 DPS

Well, this is an eye-opener. Dex loss doesn't really mean anything here, though that is a decent hit to max damage, thus your skill performance. But, I believe that the health and mana increase make up partly for the loss in damage plus the increase in dps helps, too.

WINNER: Toss-up, depending on your build

Incinerator vs. Bionic Crushers

With Bionic Crushers equipped instead of Incinerator and Limited Class IV Holo-Shield, you:

LOSE:
    -5 Str
    -9 Int
    -1 Hit%
    -32 Health
    -1 Health Regen
    -37 Mana
    -134 Armor

GAIN:
    +0-5 Dmg
    +5 Dps

Well, you gain a slight increase in max damage and dps, but no where near enough to make up for the health and mana loss.

WINNER: Incinerator

Incinerator vs. Atomic Disperser

When equipped with the Atomic Disperser instead of the Incinerator and Limited Class IV Holo-Shield, you:

LOSE:
    -5 Str
    -14 Int
    -48 Health
    -1 Health Regen
    -43 Mana
    -8 Dps
    -134 Armor

GAIN:
    +5 Dex
    +7-19 Dmg

Dex gain doesn't mean anything here, either. But that and the damage increase vs. the major loss in health and mana doesn't even come close to making up for it.

2. Standard Atomite gear, 5% dodge implant

With the Bionic Crushers equipped instead of the Black Widow and Limited Class IV Holo-Shield you:

LOSE:
    -5 STR
    -4 INT
    -3 Hit %
    -15 Health
    -30 Mana
    -2-5 Dmg
    -135 Armor

GAIN:
    +9 dps

As I said with the Plat armor, the loss of the health and mana just isn't worth the increased dps. Also, for whatever reason, when the shield is removed with this armor, I lost 135 armor instead of 134. This was true across all combinations.

Black Widow vs. Atomic Disperser

When equipped with the Atomic Disperser instead of the Black Widow and the Limited Class VI Holo-Shield you:

LOSE:
    -5 STR
    -9 INT
    -2 Hit %
    -31 Health
    -36 Mana
    -5 DPS
    -135 Armor

GAIN:
    +4-8 DMG

Large loss of health and mana for a bit of damage makes you a less effective Engineer.

Black Widow vs. Incinerator

When equipped with the Incinerator instead of the Black Widow you:

LOSE:
    -5 DEX
    -1 Hit %
    -3-11 DMG

GAIN:
    +5 INT
    +17 Health
    +7 Mana
    +4 DPS

Like with the plat gear, this one really depends on your build. If you are more combat focused, then take the Black Widow. If you run a more support oriented Engi, Incinerator would work.

WINNER: Toss up, again, depending on what you want to do.

When equipped with the Bionic Crushers instead of the Incinerator and Limited Class VI Holo-Shield you:

LOSE:
    -5 STR
    -9 INT
    -2 Hit %
    -32 Health
    -37 Mana
    -135 Armor

GAIN:
    +1-6 DMG
    +5 DPS

Slightly more damage increase over the plat gear and DPS increase won't make up for the health, mana, and slight hit % loss.

With the Atomic Disperser equipped instead of the Incinerator and Limited Class VI Holo-Shield you:

LOSE:
    -5 STR
    -14 INT
    -1 Hit %
    -48 Health
    -43 Mana
    -9 DPS
    -135 Armor

GAIN:
    +5 DEX
    +7-19 DMG

That's an awful lot of Health and mana to lose. Perhaps against a boss this would work, but against anything else, it isn't worth it.

3. Custom Atomite, 5% dodge implant

Black Widow vs. Incinerator

With the Incinerator equipped instead of the Black Widow you:

LOSE:
    -5 DEX
    -1 Hit %
    -3-9 DMG

GAIN:
    +5 INT
    +17 Health
    +7 Mana
    +5 DPS

Same as with the other two armor sets, depends on your build.

WINNER: Toss-up

With the Bionic Crushers equipped instead of the Black Widow you:

LOSE:
    -5 STR
    -5 DEX
    -4 INT
    -3 Hit %
    -15 Health
    -29 Mana
    -2-5 DMG
    -135 Armor

GAIN:
    +9 DPS

I just don't think the loss of enough mana to cast Empathy twice is worth the bump in DPS.

Black Widow vs. Atomic Disperser

With the Atomic Disperser equipped instead of the Black Widow you:

LOSE:
    -5 STR
    -9 INT
    -2 Hit %
    -31 Health
    -36 Mana
    -5 DPS
    -135 Armor

GAIN:
    +4-8 DMG

Boss fight would be about the only reason I would suggest this, and that's just a maybe.

With the Bionic Crushers equipped instead of the Incinerator you:

LOSE:
    -5 STR
    -9 INT
    -2 Hit %
    -32 Health
    -36 Mana
    -135 Armor

GAIN:
    +1-6 DMG
    +5 DPS

Decent mana and health loss for a ok bump in damage and DPS is, in my opinion, not worth it.

With the Atomic Disperser equipped instead of the Incinerator you:

LOSE:
    -5 STR
    -14 INT
    -1 Hit%
    -48 Health
    -43 Mana
    -9 DPS
    -135 Armor

GAIN:
    +5 DEX
    +7-19 DMG

Like before, this would be a good choice vs. a boss and maxing your heal ticks. In truth, though, you'll actually lose healing ability, as you lose 3 whole Empathy casts with that mana loss.

In summary, with the current equipment available, a pistol/shield combo is the best set up for engineers in my opinion. I must admit that the Incinerator did not perform as poorly as I had expected. If you want to increase your health and mana, then it is an excellent choice. Actually, upon further review and though, I feel that the Incinerator paired with the Limited Class VI Holo-Shield may be the standard equipment for a basic Engineer. Yes, you'll take a hit to the amount of healing per tick, but you are half way to one more empathy cast.

After reviewing and testing with the Atomite gear, my opinion hasn't changed. I still feel that a pistol/shield combo is more effective for Engineers.

As you can clearly see, the different armor sets are not having much effect on your loss/gain stats. I had considered doing and average of health ticks with each weapon and armor set, as well as auto-attack averages and listing them in the comparisons, but I now feel that these comparisons are pretty much an exercise in futility and will be pretty much worthless once new gear drops. Perhaps I'll revisit this in the future, once the level cap and new gear has stabilized a bit more.

My final conclusion is that while there are situations where a rifle or gloves would be a better option, on the whole I believe that a pistol/shield combo is the best option for everyday use.
    Last edited by Deathpunch; 10-10-2011 at 07:11 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deathpunch For This Useful Post: