Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: My Concerns with Slouch-O and Star Legends content

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Default My Concerns with Slouch-O and Star Legends content

Excuse me if I end up misspelling words typing this out on my Nexus One.

I guess I'll begin this thread by saying I'm a male in my late 20s and I love games with a more "mature" vibe to them. I've tried Pocket Legends in the past and I could never really get into PL because it has too much of a "cartoony kid" vibe to it. Even so, might I add that from what I did experience of PL it was a great game, but I personally just couldn't get into it due to the atmosphere of the game. So with that being said I was concerned on what kind of direction you guys planned on taking Star Legends in the future.

I'm concerned because Star Legends is an amazing game and I really loved the feel of the game pre-Slouch-O Productions. To me all the zones during the official release had a "James Cameron ALIENS Sigourney Weaver and Space Marines we want to face melt the alien race" kind of vibe to it minus the blood, guts, and gore of course. Though due to the latest update release of Slouch-O Productions I was personally disappointed because now I feel like the direction you guys are trying to go is Disney Toon Town or could I even say Pocket Legends. Sorry if that offends anyone. I've talked to numerous others about how they have felt with the latest patch and many have been disappointed about the new zone. Now if it was because of the vibe of the zone, I can't be for sure, but many others and myself agree that the only good thing to come out of this patch, besides the armor, is the final boss encounter with Director. Despite all the toon towny trash mobs this fight is different and fun. It can be a tank and spank fight but it takes forever to kill him if not using the emote system you guys incorporated and kudos to you guys on the development of that system.

Now before I get flamed by forum trolls please understand that I know this game is geared towards kids. I am not trying to shy away from that aspect, but even so I personally don't think it should go towards the Disney Toon Town vibe or Pocket Legends for that matter. It's a fresh game, obviously built around PL mechanics, but I personally think it should have its own feel. There is an older and mature audience here and I'm sure you guys know that, so just for my personal sake and others that might feel the same way as me, could you guys possibly give us some insight on the direction you plan on taking Star Legends?

I'd hate to drop another 100 dollars in the future if Star Legends will be evolving into another Pocket Legends. I have like 400 platinum I'll never use on PL cause I really don't play it anymore, which is kinda upsetting. Though I've convinced myself that my PL platinum purchase was fgeared towards funding the development of Star Legends...lol So if its possible could you please give us an idea on the direction you plan on taking Star Legends? And if you do plan on taking SL to a more cartoony route like PL is, would it be in my best interest to wait for Dark Legends? Assuming this is a new game you guys are working on that might have a more mature vibe to it.

Thank you for reading and please don't assume I am not greatful for all the hardwork you guys put into the game, including Slouch-O, I just felt like the vibe is turning towards PL and maybe I should save my money for other endevours that may arise in the future. I look forward to the evolution of Star Legends, keep up the great work.

-Rodvik

Rodvik - 40 Engineer - Guy on the Couch in Infinite Union
    Fouroneone - Pay It Forward

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Your not the only one dude. I was very upset about slouch I thought the whole theme is pretty lame. But w.e. though..I can only hope the new levels are fighting more aliens and not somethin kiddy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Well yes the zone was random. The story didnt seem like it fit. We went from aliens to more aliens to a huge hard hitting cool looking non cartoony Robot named Guardian that looks like he came out of "I Robot" or <insert cool robot movie here> to random actor bots that look like they came off of "The Jetsons", dont get me wrong The jetsons were sweet when i was growing up but it definately took the vibe of the game to a whole other level, especially one that has disappointed alot of SL fans. If the zone had robots that looked like they had chainguns or rockets on them probably would have been a different story for me. Though that is not the case.

Anyways (personal opinion). And im sure they are trying to keep it PG-13 somewhat.

Thanks,
    -Rodvik

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

I'll agree it was a change, but I think that STS was going more for a futuristic studio's high tech equipment gone rogue rather than a scene out of Fantasia. Think Borderlands DLC: Claptrap's New Robot Revolution, where the premise is that a normally helpful robot becomes infected and starts a robolution, the idea came off a bit childish in that game also but the funny scenes, comedic commentary and stunning visuals allowed me to overlook the shortcomings.

The game play in Slouch-O has its moments as they added a few new twists, mainly the final boss fight and the paparazzi ambush. I think the worst part is the grind from 30 to 31 has to be completed exclusively in this campaign making the quirkiness a bit overbearing. Perhaps it was supposed to be a change of scenery from all the bugs and bad guys to a more unified enemy. Hopefully once the next dungeon is available perhaps we can put this whole digression behind us.
    Last edited by Gluttony; 10-09-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

In my personal opinion I agree with Rodvik. When I was introduce to PL, I was having so much fun even tho it seemed to be for younger individuals. Soon as SL dropped I became a Fanatic of it. Since the whole theme to it and scenarios. The whole delta and Numa, fighting aliens and Guardian was totally fun. But it was disappointing to see Slouch-O the next level in SL to go so Cartoonish, it started to remind me of cartoons I use to watch in *Cartoon Network*. I mean yes like Rodvik said, you guys trying to keep it PG-13 but a lot of older people I believe are the ones playing SL more than younger individuals. I'm a 24 years old female and I love Star Legends. I also want to say that I hope next level is more mature, and the gear with more color. Also the enemies to be more extraterrestrial and weird...Not cartoony like PL, I myself have stopped playing PL for awhile now. Since to me SL has been more mature looking. STS I know you guys work hard to keep a clean atmosphere, but please let it be more mature. So a lot of us don't lose interest in a game that is so great, excellent and so outstanding. :-)

Rodvik I'm with you buddy, I hope next cap be surprising....

--Starkiss lvl 30 Commando.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

A very well thought up and presented point! I'd have to agree 100% too. The robots theme kind of fits with the space theme in a way that it's all futuristic and all sort of fantasy...but the robots are your scary deathbringer robots like in Terminator (how cool would that be! to have terminator robots and have the levels be like skynet) or as the OP said, iRobot. I got a very different vibe from this level, and while different is sometimes good, I can say that in this case it wasn't. But kudos on that names of the actors in Venemous, found that pretty funny .

Since the next level is shipyards or something like that...maybe incoroporate the Slouch-O theme of robots into the theme of pirates? Put a hidden twist on it where slouch-o was never actually a TV station, but was actually turning people into robots! Like a hidden factory disguised as a TV station. That would explain the actors named after famous people who were now robots. Have like...half pirate half robots running around with metal legs or prosthetic metal hands. Linking those two story lines would certaintly bring my attention back up to speed.

As of right now, none of the stories really blend together. I didn't play PL very much, but I've been told that some of the levels went together in a chronological order. I'd like to see that in SL. One campaign leads into another...like a story or an action video game for the console. Would be nice to see this because as of right now, the Slouch-O campaign came out of nowhere. We were left wondering what was behind that door the Guardian was gaurding...and we get a new level in a TV station instead.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Star Legends Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Sloucho trajectory misfires

Rodvik is correct. Many people like myself couldn't get into PL because it's too much of a nick junior kiddy ride. I think just about everyone was kind of expecting the new zone to actually somewhat mesh with the rest of the game. Pirates, aliens, plots, linear progression you know? Luckily most of the disappointed masses probably still login and play, but most likely for the social aspect within.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Ooh I know! How about Cycorp and/or Dynastar informs us that their excavation team has uncovered the gaurdian's door but dissappeared and, knowing that we are awesome, invites us over to help! The new gear come from "gaurdian sets" and we might get an ancient race to fight!

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Nice point.. I guess we have all been thinking it in somewhat way mentioned it quite alot throughout different posts threads. But when I had heard that Shipyard was going to introduce a whole new alien race.. then my worries were no more! STS know exactly how we feel by the feedback given and will do there utmost best to make sure they produce content that the players want.

How many game developers listen to what we the players want and change accordingly within such a small time limit before new content is released?!

Have faith that STS are heading SL in the right direction

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

10.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #10
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm sure that Vasquez and the Space Marine crew that went to LV-426 had to quell some riots at one time or another. As we've mentioned in previous announcements, the backstory to the original Blackstar game is quite a sprawling epic. Consider that we have 100 or more levels of content to go. We're barely 1/3rd of the way into that, so there is a LOT to come. As Cinco mentioned at the Big Android BBQ, the next installment of new content to Star Legends will have storylines that cross over multiple updates, introducing new threats and intrigue for the privateer heroes of Star Legends to deal with.

We hope you like it!

-Samhayne

PS. I changed the thread title to be more appropriate. There's no need to call the Dev Team out specifically, just state what you want to say. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Samhayne; 10-09-2011 at 09:49 AM.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Samhayne For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

I'm sure that Vasquez and the Space Marine crew that went to LV-426 had to quell some riots at one time or another. As we've mentioned in previous announcements, the backstory to the original Blackstar game is quite a sprawling epic. Consider that we have 100 or more levels of content to go. We're barely 1/3rd of the way into that, so there is a LOT to come. As Cinco mentioned at the Big Android BBQ, the next installment of new content to Star Legends will have storylines that cross over multiple updates, introducing new threats and intrigue for the privateer heroes of Star Legends to deal with.

We hope you like it!

-Samhayne
    100 or more lvls haha im in for life it seems Thanks for clarification sure alot of players will be happy about this post

As I like to say.. Patience is the Key to Virtue
    Last edited by BodMaster; 10-09-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

We hope you like it!

-Samhayne

PS. I changed the thread title to be more appropriate. There's no need to call the Dev Team out specifically, just state what you want to say. Thanks again!
    I apologize for the original title I didn't mean to be so direct and possibly for it to come off as threatening in anyway, shape, or form...lol. if thats what it seemed. Thank you for responding in a quick manner though. I am very excited to see what direction you guys/gals plan on taking star legends. I love this game and the many of people ive met have made it very fun to play. So hopefully the new content you have in store for us will keep many of your fanbase interested and eager to play.

Once again thank you and keep up the great work.
    -Rodvik

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

I agree that i didn't like the toony nature of sloucho. the runs were fun and it was nice to do something on the direcor besides stand still and hit all my skills as soon as they were ready. It didn't make me think that future updates would contain more stages with that toony nature to it, but I hope it isn't heading in that direction.
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Imo the sloucho update fits in. Droids going haywire. I've played countless serious games where you fight in a club with disco ball and it was still serious. I mean should you always fight alienz? Its the future. Do you expect a team of 5 space marines to beat mega death robots? Take Devil May Cry. How many lively wacky places has he fought? How many wacky characters have he fought? Is Dante relatable to toontown?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Acezero View Post
    Imo the sloucho update fits in. Droids going haywire. I've played countless serious games where you fight in a club with disco ball and it was still serious. I mean should you always fight alienz? Its the future. Do you expect a team of 5 space marines to beat mega death robots? Take Devil May Cry. How many lively wacky places has he fought? How many wacky characters have he fought? Is Dante relatable to toontown?
    I think you've possibly missed the point of my thread. Let me say first off I have never played Devil May Cry, but Ive seen some of the anime and its gorey slice em up, bite the neck, blood goes everywherish not suitable for children content. Using a disco ball as a weapon doesnt make a game feel "kiddy" to me either. If a bunch of mass murdering zombies were coming after me, id throw shoes, baby bottles, whatever the hell i could get my hands on at them. Its the type of characters you portray, how the enemies look, and the atmosphere you put them in that gives the feel of the game.

Not at all was I saying we should be fighting just aliens. This is a futuristic game of course somewhere down the road we should have to fight robots. What I was trying to point out is most of the people that play this game are older and prefer more mature content or should I say harder.

For instance:
    1) Dynastar Labs - Mercs hijacking, looking for "The Juice" to make them stronger, none of the mobs have a toony feel to them. Towards the end of the dungeon you're fighting a bunch of mean looking juiced up mutants who look like they want to rip your head off.

2) Redsun Pirates - Human pirates with flamethrowers and blasters coming at you defending their ship. The boss has a huge Ion Cannon or something which makes him mean looking. None of them have a toony feel to them. Not even the cute little baby dinosaurs running around with bullrings in their noses want to be your friend.

3) Cycorps Industry - The ground is littered with dead alien corpses, the ground is littered with dead human corpses, green, blue, black, yellow, red blood, you name a color its everywhere. Aliens popping out of grates wanting to eat my face. Enough said on this zone.

4) Delta 7 - Mining Facility taken over by Vular, a little comedic but still the mobs dont look toony, they are like brain sucking aliens wanting to use you as a host and also on this zone theres random cave ins, aliens popping out of grates, exploding eggs, and the boss looks like he wants to face smash you also.

5) Numa Prime - Ever watch the movie "Dune", I dont know how old you are, but this map has that feel to it. Its like were trying to fight for "the spice". Instead of huge sandworms we have zergling type mobs popping out of the ground, we got maneatting plants that open up and look like they want to shoot huge barblike harpoons at you. Not to mention the final boss is a huge mean looking robot (how slouch-o mobs should have been modeled after) that wants to tiger uppercut you.

THEN There's

6) Slouch-Oooh Why Production - The mobs look like they'd rather dance with you rather then want to kill you. Not that dancing isn't fun. It just complete threw the game for a loop hole. There is alot of comedic value I'll give it that, from the sandbags falling and hitting people and the name of some of the toons but if youve ever seen disney toon town even just the trailer on TV you'd understand where I was coming from and why there were so many disappointed fans of SL when Slouch was released. Instead of having a I should throw in "You Could Be Mine" by Guns N Roses vibe to it, it has a "Baby" by Justin Bieber vibe to it. Which is something Id rather seranate my girlfriend with just for her to be like "Really? You're 27 and youre rockin out with Bieber Fever" which Id kindly respond with a "In Yo Face!"...lol

But maybe you get the point I was trying to make, the mobs should have had a harder vibe to them, a more mature vibe. Whether they are aliens, robots, dinosaurs, babies, puppies, kittens, make them look like they want to rip our heads off. =D

But this once again is a matter of opinion and Im just another player voicing his concerns because I know a lot of the SL family feels the way I do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah Slouch-O seemed to appeal a more younger audience than a mature audience...I'm expecting an underwater level with mutated fish or sharks or squids or something?

Eyeless
    Guildmaster of Genocide.
    (This sig is not complete. It was created via mobile) :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EyelessBear View Post
    Yeah Slouch-O seemed to appeal a more younger audience than a mature audience...I'm expecting an underwater level with mutated fish or sharks or squids or something?
    That sounds interesting, dangerous, and fun. They said they are working on a shipyard of some sort. Maybe an under water theme could play off of that or even shipyard -> oil tanker -> underwater.... who knows..lol Sam said 100s of levels of content, we can only wait and see!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

+1 for mature content

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

I don't want this to feel like a "we want" thread. Im pretty sure they have months and months of SL mapped out, this was to be more informative on how we feel about the recent release of Slouch O and how most of the SL audience are older folks. Lol. More of a "would prefer"...lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rodvik View Post
    I don't want this to feel like a "we want" thread. Im pretty sure they have months and months of SL mapped out, this was to be more informative on how we feel about the recent release of Slouch O and how most of the SL audience are older folks. Lol. More of a "would prefer"...lol
    Yup most of BlackStar Chronicles was mapped up as Sam said when they tried to release this on the PC, and the other company pulled out they had no choice to pull the plug. Then after this PL was produced for Moblie gaming, and they re-visited the BlackStar idea which is now Star Legends