Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lootboxes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Lootboxes

Hello,

As some of you may be aware, recently Apple made it mandatory for all apps on the app store to display the odds for getting various loot from lootboxes. Of course our version of those is locked crates, the odds of which haven't been published. I'm actually rather surprised apple hasn't noticed yet - I attribute this to the fact that our lootboxes are not in a particular store section like other games, but drop in the world.

Also, I'm certain that the rules require the app to list odds even if the lootboxes open with in-game currency purchasable with actual money (platinum). I found this thread which may be worth a read: https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/94213

Thank you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

justg recently responded to a thread like this, if locks were in store for say 5 dollars they would have to release droprates but there are multiple ways of acquiring platinum such as plat eggs crate keys and more so they do not need to release

3. The Following User Says Thank You to badgirlchlo For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You make an interesting argument about them dropping in the game's world as opposed to being available for direct purchase. But while it could be used as a potential loophole, I doubt its the kind of trickery a player base would want its developers to be pulling off. Now, I must reiterate, I am not trying to imply anything here, just stating some opinions. It may have been overlooked on STS's part, but its best to look at it from both sides.

First off, the numbers not being published is a great way for more and more crates to be opened. If some people get lucky and they spread the word, it causes a reaction of sorts which starts from more people opening crates (unaware of their actual chances, but believing it to be higher than what is, simply because out of 30 people they asked 8 got real lucky and 13 got a bit lucky) making them try their luck, causing the price to shoot up, causing more people to farm for it as it becomes a solid way of definite in-game income. Its a bit like the lottery. When you keep your eyes on jackpot, you'd go "Hey, I'm spending a 30 bucks and with some luck I'm gonna make 10x the dough". But when your friend shows you one day using Permutations the actual chances of you getting that jackpot, you start realizing the truth of how big the risk is. I realise I just described the concept of Gambling but this could be seen as manipulation by some. It works for STS as they make money and keep their players immersed in their game.

Now for the other side. As I mentioned, its a solid path for some small in-game income. That is a very good thing from an FTP POV. And STS making money off this can't be truly condemned for they are a business and they do need the money to hold the game up. Also, this is just conjecture at this point, until STS clarifies and until then, there is a chance STS could've overlooked it or deemed it not really necessary.

I would most definitely love for some clarity on this subject. The rates being published may cause a dip in the income the game gets but its better than being shut down by Apple. Unless of course, I'm missing some point about it. The player-base, I'm sure (well, almost sure), would love for the devs to interact with the players on this issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by badgirlchlo View Post
    justg recently responded to a thread like this, if locks were in store for say 5 dollars they would have to release droprates but there are multiple ways of acquiring platinum such as plat eggs crate keys and more so they do not need to release
    I would quote one of the comments on the link Ghoul gave, "There must be an intent behind this guideline and the most obvious one is the actual thing, getting apps to display probabilities for loot boxes. If Apple were to allow this "loop-hole" where boxes purchased with virtual currency were not subject to this guideline, everyone in the community would naturally migrate to this method, as it would be easier. But then the guideline would have no meaning, it would just flip everyone from one side of the fence to the other while being in the same yard somehow sort of speak." The guidelines have been put there for a reason. So that the people can know how random the RNG of the game is. And the crate is an RNG system bought using in-game currency.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

You make an interesting argument about them dropping in the game's world as opposed to being available for direct purchase. But while it could be used as a potential loophole, I doubt its the kind of trickery a player base would want its developers to be pulling off. Now, I must reiterate, I am not trying to imply anything here, just stating some opinions. It may have been overlooked on STS's part, but its best to look at it from both sides.

First off, the numbers not being published is a great way for more and more crates to be opened. If some people get lucky and they spread the word, it causes a reaction of sorts which starts from more people opening crates (unaware of their actual chances, but believing it to be higher than what is, simply because out of 30 people they asked 8 got real lucky and 13 got a bit lucky) making them try their luck, causing the price to shoot up, causing more people to farm for it as it becomes a solid way of definite in-game income. Its a bit like the lottery. When you keep your eyes on jackpot, you'd go "Hey, I'm spending a 30 bucks and with some luck I'm gonna make 10x the dough". But when your friend shows you one day using Permutations the actual chances of you getting that jackpot, you start realizing the truth of how big the risk is. I realise I just described the concept of Gambling but this could be seen as manipulation by some. It works for STS as they make money and keep their players immersed in their game.

Now for the other side. As I mentioned, its a solid path for some small in-game income. That is a very good thing from an FTP POV. And STS making money off this can't be truly condemned for they are a business and they do need the money to hold the game up. Also, this is just conjecture at this point, until STS clarifies and until then, there is a chance STS could've overlooked it or deemed it not really necessary.

I would most definitely love for some clarity on this subject. The rates being published may cause a dip in the income the game gets but its better than being shut down by Apple. Unless of course, I'm missing some point about it. The player-base, I'm sure (well, almost sure), would love for the devs to interact with the players on this issue.

Thank you

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slowking For This Useful Post:

@ the intersection of Tea. Earl Grey. Hot and Damn Fine Cup of Coffee.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts

Justg has responded to this before. He said "...it refers to Loot Crates purchased directly from the Store via In App Purchases. Our crates are purchased for Platinum, a virtual currency that is available via a variety of means."

((Couldn't figure out how to quote him from a closed thread))

Join the AL Community Discord!https://discord.gg/VrMWZ8t
    Retired Coffeegirl, Veep Of Arlor, 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

See here - I thought this as well. https://www.spacetimestudios.com/sho...ght=apple+odds
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45216&d=1383296273

Ign: frynoodles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    377 Posts

imma be honest here ,the last couple of crates hug/tavern crawl/bun bun/marvelous crates have had the absolute worst drop rates ever.idk if its just my luck but id rather open mas glinter/nightmare/black ice crates any day as apose to any of the recent event crates.id love like to see the drop chances at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    Justg has responded to this before. He said "...it refers to Loot Crates purchased directly from the Store via In App Purchases. Our crates are purchased for Platinum, a virtual currency that is available via a variety of means."

((Couldn't figure out how to quote him from a closed thread))
    Quote Originally Posted by wowdah View Post
    That's why I linked to that thread.

It makes sense if you think about it. If it only applied to lootboxes you buy theough IAPs (which is the vast majority of lootboxes in mobile games, very rarely do you have lootboxes purchasable with x dollars) then everyone would simply switch to this model. The thread I linked brought up that topic, I suggest you give it a read.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

I think sts should release the odds from the goodness of thier hearts, what's the harm
    76 Lethoiun 71 Hymns 58 Selfocracy
    "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." J.R.R Tolkien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

I understand Ghoul, and I agree. But I doubt they will simply since it's more profitable/better for them to keep the odds unknown so people buy crates at the same rate - if people knew the odds they would probably buy at a lower rate. So as long as apple doesn't ding them for this, they'll keep the odds unknown.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

I'm interested to see vial droprate in arena
    76 Lethoiun 71 Hymns 58 Selfocracy
    "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." J.R.R Tolkien

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wowdah View Post
    I understand Ghoul, and I agree. But I doubt they will simply since it's more profitable/better for them to keep the odds unknown so people buy crates at the same rate - if people knew the odds they would probably buy at a lower rate. So as long as apple doesn't ding them for this, they'll keep the odds unknown.
    Isn't that unethical? And tbh I think the community would appreciate it a lot more if STS were more transparent. Also I don't think people will reduce spending money on lockeds as it's the easiest way to get loot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    240 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by badgirlchlo View Post
    This is complete bogus IMO. Take other major games for example, let's look at one specifically: Vainglory, uses in game currency called ICE and still displays the %chance of looting X item from their chest selection.

As said above there is no harm in displaying the % chance of looting a certain item, hopefully there's no fraud committed when this gets implemented. If the % chances of looting a certain item are legit, it makes the player try even harder to get the item they desire IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts

uh oh, i usually don't threat people, but i'll punch kittens until sts release lootboxes rate, the closest kitten to me will be the next.

also a bit out of topic, another mobile game i know, also always release loot chance for rare/jackpot items from event bosses.
    always milking, no service
    AL IGN: Extrapayah/Extraparah/Extrajelek
    Support Shared Pet Stable Please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

well, this is not a thread on whether right or wrong, moreso about if it is allowed or not, which it is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

Because they chose not to do anything after the last thread, I doubt anything new will happen after this one :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

I think they just can't reveal loot chances of crates because there's no exact and constant number. I mean they adjust it over the time as they need.

Remember arcane shard price went down to 70k and they claimed they didn't change chance at all but before that people spent tons of RL money and gold to get it. Was like 100m at some point.

Another example is vials from arena chests.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by intruders View Post
    I think they just can't reveal loot chances of crates because there's no exact and constant number. I mean they adjust it over the time as they need.

Remember arcane shard price went down to 70k and they claimed they didn't change chance at all but before that people spent tons of RL money and gold to get it. Was like 100m at some point.

It was 100m for a few reasons lol... first of all it was 41 cap and you needed it to craft arcane ring, and secondly because 41 was age of the plat farmers which RUINED the market due to cheaters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by intruders View Post

Thats the point. The guidelines were put in place so that if a gaming company decides to adjust the droprates, its player-base would( and should) know. Transparency is the reason. We really require a dev or a mod to make a comment about this.