Thread: Applying Empathy In Group

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Applying Empathy In Group

Anyone else notice that when you are in a group and running...you can apply Protection (12m range) to all in the group. While running, Empathy (8m range) only applies to you and the people behind you....no matter how close the person in front of you is. I've had people like right on top of me, but just a bit a head of me...and Empathy still didn't work while running, but did for someone much farther behind me.

Lady_Pebbles

Actually, I haven't had that problem. o_O
    Maybe you should try uninstalling the client and reinatalling. Make sure you clear cache and data saved. Hopefully that'll work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

The problem what you describe sounds like the effect you have when you turn on your shield. When you run while shielded you run in the front spot, not the middle.
    I dont know how the area is calculated but i just see a simularity here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Where was this happening, Glauk? I just tried it in Biosphere running down a hall and the guy 8'-10' or so ahead of me got the Empathy effects--sparkles around his waist and health went up. Could it be happening only in a particular level or two?

ETA: Arrrgh! Should've also asked what you're playing on: Android, IOS or Chrome?
    Last edited by CanonicalKoi; 11-16-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Arrow

i finally have my engie up and running and i noticed the same bug, i was in delta7. I tried to stop for a few times which seems to work, but you're going to fall behind and risk missing the head of the pack.

playing on ipad2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

What is your latency, i.e. how high are your pings?

SL (like most online multiplayers ever since QuakeWorld) use timeshift and client side prediction to hide the lag from the user feel of the game. The result is that some features of the game occur counter intuitively especially when the latency creeps up. (i.e. you could be blown to bits half a second later by a rocket that you barely managed to evade)

I dunno how exactly it's done in SL, but it's there. And in quake terms this observer mispositioning of empathy would mean that the skill firing code regarding empathy fails to (or isn't even designed to) mediate correct time/location from the client to the server. (or the server performs the range check at a lagging location for some other reason)
    SoiledPants 41 eng, NoPants 41 op, PoofyPants 41 com, Hullukko (retired) 56 mage, NoPanties 21 vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Another possibility is that your teamate that is right near you is actually just around the corner of a wall. Ping can also contribute to this, where you think the toon is right in front of you but has already turned the corner (so in reality, there is a wall between you and your target). I'm no expert on this type of stuff and cannot follow all of hull's last post (lol sorry, i am very tech inept), but I have tested that skills don't go through walls (neither AoE nor single target) even if you 1 foot away from the target. if this helps, great, if not, i'll consider it another newt fail.
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*