Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Pharcydes Winter Festival Compromise Idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Lets see if something happens this week. Usually patches roll out in the afternoon anyways (well, depending on where in the world you live - it may be different).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

This idea is MUCH better than it is now. Thanks Pharcyde
    Daantjeh LVL 71 Bird | MageProdigy LVL 66 Mage | Prototypee LVL 65 Bear | Weapon Proc+Skill Combo's Guide | Guide When to use which emote! | All in one Guide for the Best PvE Ratio (Archer) |

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kallima:516553
    I think a fair price for an alk-access pass is a minimum of 100plat.

One issue that has not been addressed is the handling of those that already invested much more than the suggested pricepoint if it's amended.
    The problem with even a 100 plat is, that is only 50 runs which is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours of game play. Setting up a unlimited pass would mean that STS would lose tons of income or the pass would have to be extremely expensive, like 500 plat. But, then people would rage on that. Per run, seems to me to be the best way. This way, everyone is in control of the amount of time they play.

And, yeah, to change it for this year, might cause some problems.
    "How Wude! Mesa your humble Servant."
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pharcyde
    Ideas?
    Opinions?
    Concerns?
    Idea: You should text me. <3
    Opinion: We should start talking again. (:
    Concern: We dont talk enough. D:
    Bow Down to a Goddess 👑

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    Something like a 30 plat costume that let's you 'sneak' in an unlimited number of times would be great. Just a note to devs, I do appreciate that the current Christmas content is what it is, but these are thoughts for the future.
    This is INCREDABLY AWESOME!!!! Something like "jack frost ninja costume" or "ice ninja pet"!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Appleisaac View Post
    This is INCREDABLY AWESOME!!!! Something like "jack frost ninja costume" or "ice ninja pet"!
    I'm in favor of this:

As the outfit..

And when you talk to the GW transporter dude, he panics and is like "uh yes, of course, right away sir!" and allows you onto the ship for free

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiebo View Post
    The problem with even a 100 plat is, that is only 50 runs which is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours of game play. Setting up a unlimited pass would mean that STS would lose tons of income or the pass would have to be extremely expensive, like 500 plat. But, then people would rage on that. Per run, seems to me to be the best way. This way, everyone is in control of the amount of time they play.

Notice I said a "minimum of 100plat." As far as the issue you state about losing revenue for all-access pass, I could say the opposite and project they make even more with the purchase of Luck Lixirs. If I can spend 100-500plat on just the pass, what's another 20plat (i think) for 30minutes with an increased probability in receiving a pink. Then to speed up the runs, people may just purchase the melee lixir as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The problem with even a 100 plat is, that is only 50 runs which is about 2 1/2 - 3 hours of game play. Setting up a unlimited pass would mean that STS would lose tons of income or the pass would have to be extremely expensive, like 500 plat.
    I would gladly pay 100 plat or even 500 plat for an unlimited access pass. Doing 30-35 runs an hour quickly adds up. Add in the thrasher, and I'm at 100 plat an hour right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

In case you are wondering, last year, there was a one time access for much less than 500 plat for the festival. It was a hit and STS did not go bankrupt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kallima:518767
    Notice I said a "minimum of 100plat."
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippys:518778
    I would gladly pay 100 plat or even 500 plat for an unlimited access pass. Doing 30-35 runs an hour quickly adds up. Add in the thrasher, and I'm at 100 plat an hour right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis:518865
    [In case you are wondering, last year, there was a one time access for much less than 500 plat for the festival. It was a hit and STS did not go bankrupt.
    @kalima, yes, I was actually trying to acknowledge that you were the first one (that I am aware of) to see that 20 plat for all access is way to little.

@Flippys, I know what you mean. I am a person that prob isn't even buying plat in Dec. cuz can't afford to, yet I am already way over 50 runs. My first 15 or so runs were with no luck elixr. So no pinks, lol. Since then, I'm using luck and getting quite a nice assortment of pinks. I also using 2x melee and armour, lol. So, approaching 100 plat an hour.

Next year, I would very quickly buy a 500 plat all access. Cuz, would be cheaper per run in the long run. I just think that STS would loose a lot of income by doing this. A lot of people may not want to commit to so many runs. And the farmers/collectors who know they gonna do more runs would save.

I would even buy a 1000 plat all access pass if that included automatic luck elixrs. Imo, there is no reason to run the xmas maps without luck elixrs. Others may be luckier than I was tho and don't feel they need 'em.

No, no way is STS gonna go broke. Too many loyal players buying elixrs for that. That is not what is at issue here.

Players are wanting "better content". However, that is not up to STS. STS is not going to be the ones to determine if future content is "epic" or "bleh". In 2012, are we gonna see "creative" or "the same ol' same ol'"? STS is not going to be the ones to answer these questions. It is entirely up to us players and how much we are willing to fund even better content.

If all we care about is getting xmas content as cheaply as possible or saving as much as possible, that is going to be reflected in the quality of new content. The idea that we should spend less plat "to vote with our wallets" is almost mental IF in the very next sentence people are screaming for better content.

The holiday content is 100% optional. It does not affect the core game at all. That is why, the main purpose of WF is to help STS raise as much funds as possible. That is the objective. A gigantic push or focus on presenting content in hopes that people will enjoy it to the fullest. It is hoped that people will buy many, many runs. And not to figure out ways to lessen revenue, but instead to figure out ways to increase revenue. This is a good thing - a very, very good thing. The more profit STS makes, the better our game will be.

Put the prices into perspective: If I'm spending 100 plat an hour, that = $4.50. If I play for four hours tonight (which most people cannot play that long), that means I am spending $18.00 for the whole evenings entertainment/hobby time. I cannot think of any hobby that you are not gonna spend $15.00 to $30.00 for an evening's fun.

Crips, If I were to go bowling AND in an attempt to save money brought a little metal lunch pail and a PB&J from home, (omg, haha, lol), I'd still be spending more money there than on an evening of elixr filled PL. The amount of money that people are spending on plat should not be more than they can afford. After getting past that idea, it's not more than most hobbies. If you can't afford plat, enjoy the game plat free. Except for content that is completely optional, you can play the entire game that way. The same cannot be said for most hobbies.

If someone can't afford to buy a lot of plat, I'm sad, but it is not really no one's fault. Ultimately, what STS is gonna do, is look at people's spending patterns this holiday event - plus the next 10 months and that is what will determine how next WF will be. We can all speculate on what will or will not make money, but the proof will be in the data that they will analyze as we play the game each month.

But, if we want better content, then Winter Fest can't be about how cheap we can get it, it's got to be about how much we can help STS increase revenue. That's why I think, any unlimited pass is a bad idea.
    "How Wude! Mesa your humble Servant."
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

@kalima, yes, I was actually trying to acknowledge that you were the first one (that I am aware of) to see that 20 plat for all access is way to little.

@Flippys, I know what you mean. I am a person that prob isn't even buying plat in Dec. cuz can't afford to, yet I am already way over 50 runs. My first 15 or so runs were with no luck elixr. So no pinks, lol. Since then, I'm using luck and getting quite a nice assortment of pinks. I also using 2x melee and armour, lol. So, approaching 100 plat an hour.

Next year, I would very quickly buy a 500 plat all access. Cuz, would be cheaper per run in the long run. I just think that STS would loose a lot of income by doing this. A lot of people may not want to commit to so many runs. And the farmers/collectors who know they gonna do more runs would save.

I would even buy a 1000 plat all access pass if that included automatic luck elixrs. Imo, there is no reason to run the xmas maps without luck elixrs. Others may be luckier than I was tho and don't feel they need 'em.

No, no way is STS gonna go broke. Too many loyal players buying elixrs for that. That is not what is at issue here.

Players are wanting "better content". However, that is not up to STS. STS is not going to be the ones to determine if future content is "epic" or "bleh". In 2012, are we gonna see "creative" or "the same ol' same ol'"? STS is not going to be the ones to answer these questions. It is entirely up to us players and how much we are willing to fund even better content.

If all we care about is getting xmas content as cheaply as possible or saving as much as possible, that is going to be reflected in the quality of new content. The idea that we should spend less plat "to vote with our wallets" is almost mental IF in the very next sentence people are screaming for better content.

The holiday content is 100% optional. It does not affect the core game at all. That is why, the main purpose of WF is to help STS raise as much funds as possible. That is the objective. A gigantic push or focus on presenting content in hopes that people will enjoy it to the fullest. It is hoped that people will buy many, many runs. And not to figure out ways to lessen revenue, but instead to figure out ways to increase revenue. This is a good thing - a very, very good thing. The more profit STS makes, the better our game will be.

Put the prices into perspective: If I'm spending 100 plat an hour, that = $4.50. If I play for four hours tonight (which most people cannot play that long), that means I am spending $18.00 for the whole evenings entertainment/hobby time. I cannot think of any hobby that you are not gonna spend $15.00 to $30.00 for an evening's fun.

Crips, If I were to go bowling AND in an attempt to save money brought a little metal lunch pail and a PB&J from home, (omg, haha, lol), I'd still be spending more money there than on an evening of elixr filled PL. The amount of money that people are spending on plat should not be more than they can afford. After getting past that idea, it's not more than most hobbies. If you can't afford plat, enjoy the game plat free. Except for content that is completely optional, you can play the entire game that way. The same cannot be said for most hobbies.

If someone can't afford to buy a lot of plat, I'm sad, but it is not really no one's fault. Ultimately, what STS is gonna do, is look at people's spending patterns this holiday event - plus the next 10 months and that is what will determine how next WF will be. We can all speculate on what will or will not make money, but the proof will be in the data that they will analyze as we play the game each month.

But, if we want better content, then Winter Fest can't be about how cheap we can get it, it's got to be about how much we can help STS increase revenue. That's why I think, any unlimited pass is a bad idea.
    Yes, of course Winter Fest is optional, but in all major games, major holidays are always inacted. As for your thinking that we should help STS make more income, there is a much better idea.
    Why not have semi- daily unlimited passes? If you charge a player, say 20 plat for a 12 hour period, not only is STS making about 20 play per player PER day, but after a week that's about $20 worth of plat. This way, STS still gets lots of plat, the players are happy because in a way it is unlimited, and everyone is happy, right?
    Also, these 12 hour unlimited elixirs would still run after you log out.
    rhinomagic[/B]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyshoota View Post
    Also, these 12 hour unlimited elixirs would still run after you log out.
    Ehh. I was with you until I read this.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Default @Aikiebo

I get it, but my pricepoint and others was in comparison to last years. Imagine being here for WF '10 & only being charged 10plat for full access, can you understand why this would upset most of the loyal players? Everyone understands that prices will increase BUT not at that extreme. Using the bare minimum as an example - your average player did 30 runs to obtain their drops last year. And using WF '11 turnstile approach, they are now paying (30 runs x 2 plat) x 2 plat because runs are now linked to boss kill. So a price hike from 10plat to 120plat is steep, no? Tell me in any other business example where inflation is 12x its previous pricepoint? I have no issue spending plat, my concern is for the legitimately upset customers that will feel gouged.

Let's just take going to the movies as an example, for most people, to "complete" their movie going experience, people will typically purchase popcorn, candy, etc - all optional. But instead of paying $7.50, in the span of 1 year - they are now being charged $90.00. This is what has given people the impression that STS only cares for money, coupled with other things I won't even mention in this post.

Yes, it is STS' business, they can charge what they like but in the meantime, we have a mass exodus of LOYAL players that they have just alienated. I think what people are feeling is normal, and to tell them "It's just business" does nothing to alleviate their concerns, when any NORMAL person would behave in such a manner. I get the business perspective, which is why I would pay the 500 plat for all access and purchase the Luck and Melee plat lixirs on top of that, but to expect consumers to not be upset at the new pricing model is naive.

P.S. O&C holiday content is free.
    Last edited by kallima; 12-21-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: bad math. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

@kallima
    There's no other way to put it, this player Aikiebo seems to enjoy paying more platinum for less quality content and attempts to justify it. It's a rather bizarre case of Stockholm Syndrome. If you don't believe me, well, I'm sure you've read some of his other posts.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

@WhoIsThis

Guess who is trying oh-so-hard to become a GoA?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I don't think he realizes that GoA has no in game benefits and he will still spend the same amount of money :P.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mackjack View Post
    @WhoIsThis

Guess who is trying oh-so-hard to become a GoA?
    Yep - you're not the only one that suspects.

He/she was pretty vigorous in defending it earlier when I noted that the quality of the GoA program had declined too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

LOL. I have never understood people who clamor for titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

if something like what was suggested is enacted, im assuming it will apply for PL and SL? what about those of us that already spent over 100 plat on this?
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

STS does have an impeccable history of refunding plat when something like this occurs. For example, when they stated that plat would be universal in both their mmo's. Unfortunately, due to Apple's strict TOS, that did not happen, so STS decided they would refund all plat spent in SL back to your original PL account, and as an act of good faith also deposited a small amount of plat into your SL account as a thank you.

I wouldn't worry because honestly, I don't think they will change the turnstile approach of WF.