Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: How does armor work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Default How does armor work?

Haven't seen an explanation anywhere on the forums. Anyone know?
    Montanaguy (16 Warrior) [elite lvl cap: 16; 26; 31] / Montanaman (16 Mage) [16] / Montanadood (16 Rogue) [16]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Make a test yourself. I did one and I think it works like this :
    What I did...
    1.Go to Elite Bael Map , Check the damage as a warrior with gear ( 750 armor ) They hit around 350.
    2. Unequiped an item that gives 100 Armor ( Shield x One Hand ) And it dropped to 650. Then they started hitting 380-400.
    3. Unequiped helmet that gives 250 armor ( Equiped the Shield x One Hand ) 750 - 250 = 500. Then they started hitting 400-460. Crit was 610-620.
    Conclusion : With armor at 500 , they hit 600? Poor rogues and sorcerers... with the 1200 HP That some may have now , and will have perhaps too , 2 shot I assume.
    Another conclusion : How much armor is it necessary in order to be a good tank and do a map solo? Elite Bael would probably one shot you , as it did before though. More elite bosses can one shot you as well , as I have 2800 Health and 750 armor : (
    Sad life , I was hoping to go solo for at least Kraag & Watcher's Tombs... But now they are even more difficult , profiting us nearly nothing , just experience... Soloing without having to use 100 potions and dying.
    Died from a mob at the last new map in 3 shots ( Not Elite )
    There goes my 0 death character with 80 deaths now.
    Last conclusion : Impossible to keep a character with 0 deaths for now , until a further update gets released although I bet they will make the levels even more harder , impossible to do at a low level.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ðamned Øne For This Useful Post:

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Most testing will begin with intro to pvp.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

by equiping it XD

6.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Without going into too much detail, the general concept of armor in Arcane Legends is the more you have the better your damage reduction is. A very simplistic example would be something like if you had 0 armor and a level 12 mob hits you for 100 damage, you take 100 damage. If you have 341 armor in this scenario, behind the scenes we determine for your level that 341 armor is roughly 22% damage reduction, and thus you would take 78 instead. There are many other variables involved, but that's the general idea. As a wrrior tank, you probably want a lot of armor

I feel compelled to mention these numbers are fabricated for the sake of pointing out the general idea of how armor works in Arcane, and has no bearing on our actual calculations.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carapace For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
    Without going into too much detail, the general concept of armor in Arcane Legends is the more you have the better your damage reduction is. A very simplistic example would be something like if you had 0 armor and a level 12 mob hits you for 100 damage, you take 100 damage. If you have 341 armor in this scenario, behind the scenes we determine for your level that 341 armor is roughly 22% damage reduction, and thus you would take 78 instead. There are many other variables involved, but that's the general idea. As a wrrior tank, you probably want a lot of armor

I feel compelled to mention these numbers are fabricated for the sake of pointing out the general idea of how armor works in Arcane, and has no bearing on our actual calculations.
    Thank you!
    Montanaguy (16 Warrior) [elite lvl cap: 16; 26; 31] / Montanaman (16 Mage) [16] / Montanadood (16 Rogue) [16]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

great info. thanx for sharing the info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Sounds confusing. I wish they just used a basic system with simple math. If your armor is 300 and you get hit for 400 dmg, you are damaged 100 points. Very simple. Your armor absorbs a fixed amount. The way this is it makes it confusing trying to decide which gear to get. For example, I can get a ring which gives a damage bonus vs. a ring with armor bonus. So how do I know which is better? Is a certain amount of damage equal to a certain amount of armor? No way to know with this system since they both use a different scale of points.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

how about shield in passives? does it only add ONE point? (warrior) im not really noticing a difference
    and are glowstone rings bugged? theres a lvl 21 less dmg but with (one point MORE armor) than its lvl 20 that has way more dmg

::confused what to do here::

editt:: glowstone hoop of warfare
    Last edited by digitalbot; 12-21-2012 at 05:03 AM.

13.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #10
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

any items or pet passives/bonuses that "reduce damage by x%" effectively work as an addition to the algorithm. If given the amount of armor you have you have say, 37% damage reduction (behind the scenes mind you) that extra 2% damage reduction applies directly to that number, giving you a 39% damage reduction. It's a huge stat, because it's circumventing the normal armor associated algorithms that determine armor value based on things like level, level differences and the like and sticks it straight on. Damage reduction is a very powerful stat. The power of it this stat is why the damage reduction stats were reduced across the board for pets because they were incredibly overpowered with the revamp.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carapace For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

This is so confusing lol but thx.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23165&d=1358582883
    Legends Don't Die They Just Fade...

16.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #12
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Traebeles99 View Post
    This is so confusing lol but thx.
    Don't trouble yourself with the details

Bottom line highlights:

More armor will help you live longer!
    Damage reduction is good!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Its SOOO much better this way then just a 1 armor deducts 1 dmg formula. The simplicity used in the PL values were like a 3 year old set them up. I like the vaues to be at least somewhat obscure. Only way to know what eqip you really want to use thru testing. An MMORPG where everything is just told to you is a boring rpg indeed.

18.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #14
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Here's a post from MonkeySphere on more specifics about armor

Quote Originally Posted by monkeySphere
    Armor works like this:

Armor Value * (Armor Modifier by level of attack mob) = Damage Reduction

This modifier goes down as the level of the attacking mob goes up, so that more armor is needed to maintain Damage Reduction as the player moves into higher level content.

This passive is a multiplier on the Armor Value, so that a small change might not have a huge impact on Damage Reduction, but the higher the base Armor Value the player has the more this passive is worth. Therefore, this passive is way more effective for a warrior is max armor than it would be for a sorcerer in medium armor.

For example:

Warrior with 980 armor at level 21 vs. Sorcerer with 500 armor at level 21.

Warrior DR w/out passive - 980*.00047619 (attacking mobs modifier) = 46.6% DR
    Sorcerer DR w/out passive - 500*.00047619 = 23.8% DR

Warrior DR w 4/5 passive - (980*1.04)*.00047619 = 48.5% DR
    Sorcerer DR w 4/5 passive - (500*1.04)*.00047619 = 24.7% DR

This benefit will grow as armor values get higher, which is one of the reasons why this passive will probably never go beyond its 5% increase. It would just become too powerful over time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Carapace For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Hmmm Im starting to get it lol thx.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23165&d=1358582883
    Legends Don't Die They Just Fade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Don't trouble yourself with the details

Bottom line highlights:

More armor will help you live longer!
    Damage reduction is good!
    I'm very much a math person and in PL I use math to figure out which gear is better. This will especially become important when we get to PvP. Sometimes you have to make a decision between armor vs. damage. For example, Ring "A" may grant 10 armor & Ring "B" may grant 5 damage. In PL we know what that means and can make a logical choice. For clearing mobs with AoE attacks, the 5 damage would be better, but for 1-on-1 battles the 10 armor is better. But here in AL I have no idea what those numbers mean and would just be guessing as to which one to get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I've always taken armor over damage on my rogue but I'm assuming another 50-100 points of armor make no big difference? Say, 480 armor vs 580 armor and 10 points of damage more or less.
    Tuik - Rogue
    Pululu - Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tuik View Post
    I've always taken armor over damage on my rogue but I'm assuming another 50-100 points of armor make no big difference? Say, 480 armor vs 580 armor and 10 points of damage more or less.
    lol dude u havnt get it still :-P. read monkeysphere's armour guide above 2-3 times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Hi Carapace, do you mind sharing how the "damage" stat is calculated? I have found the hidden attacks per sec or attack speed for various weapons now that you show both Damage and DPS. I just can't figure out the calculation for Damage. I have a 90 Dps staff that does about 1.8 attacks per second. So the average damage is 50. Then I have 2 damage rings totaling 5.8 damage + 231% Bonus Damage. 55.8*2.31=128.9, but my damage shows 127.5. The difference could just be that the actual atk/s is 1.83 not 1.8 but I'm not sure. Any insight or can u just hint if the latter is correct

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Well I had this same question and did my own math and checked it here, and I was pretty much spot on. For those of you saying this is confusing, perhaps a general breakdown for you. Correct me if I am wrong devs, but the math seems to breakdown to its simplest form as this: 15.5 armor = 1% Damage reduction, e.g. everytime you increase your armor by 15.5 you increase your damage reduction by 1%. So you get an armor piece that is 45 armor more than what you have now that's roughly 3% added onto your damaged reduction. I get that from doing some general math I won't bother you with.