Thread: Guide to maximize our awesome skills effectiveness in elite map

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Default Guide to maximize our awesome skills effectiveness in elite map

Have you wondering why the rogue cry when trap is working (pull enemy) and 1 sec later all mobs scattered again? Or warrior that curse when they pulling and holding aggro and suddenly a mage ruin it all by using gale force? Feel free to read this guide as I observe that 75% of mages in elite does nothing but spam skills.

I will do skill by skill explanation on what you guys are doing right or wrong in elite.

Main skills
    Fireball

Charge or uncharged? It depends on situation. I bet 99% of you here knew the 5 mobs formation before jarl spawn in brakenbridge map. 2 archer and 3 melee enemy right? As you can see, all of them already close to each other. So what you guys should be doing is charge fireball and release it to knockdown all the 5 mobs. Then proceed by using charged ice and clock (refer ice and clock guide). Also some boss can be stunned like bael so it will be very useful (rook nest boss).

So when can mage use fireball uncharged? Use it when u saw mob is scattered to help warriors pull all the mobs in one place. Or boss that can't be stunned. Or mob that already frozen by ice and in a clock. Charged fireball can pushback and knockdown enemy. So if you charge and the enemy is in the edge of the clock, they can actually escape from the root effect from the clock.

Frost Bolt

This is the most OP skill if it actually works in pvp. Can dev make it works for one season only? Please..

Pve wise, if you use this skill, it will only freeze one target and slow others. People keep asking me how do I freeze multiple target? First, make sure the mobs were tight in one place. Then, get NEAR them (I mean melee range). And then release the charged frost bolt and I can guarantee all the mobs will be frozen in place, not just slowed. This is actually really useful to help reduce the pressure to warriors and dagger rogues. You can practice this in several easy tombs to see the effectiveness.

Always charge this skill unless you are dealing with boss or just 1 leftover enemy. Some boss can also be frozen like bosses in wt1 and kraken mines 2 (if I'm not mistaken).

Time Shift

If you're in a party and have this skill, you can be either a leverage or a helper with this skill.

Firstly, never ever ever ever use this skill before enemy get tight. If enemy don't get tight ever, just don't use it. Enemy will be so scattered and can't be grouped because they are rooted in place. This leave your dagger rogue cry to death as they can't hit multiple enemy at once.

Exception is if you want to make it as a barrier (too much mobs to handle for warriors). Then you can use a charged clock first, then uncharged
    fireball to attract mobs, then run back behind the clock.

Use this skill only after enemy get tight as this skill will root the enemy. The enemy can't move but CAN attack if they are in the clock. And please charge if you use this skill. Otherwise it's useless as you only deal the initial clock drop damage with no DOT if you do uncharged clock. I know the DOT is low damage but it counts.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

Other skills
    Gale Force

I take my word back, it's ok to use this skill in elite as long as you know how to use it. Never even dream to use this skill unless you know what you're doing.
    You can use this skill to force leftover mobs to be in clock or to make the mobs get tighter.

Curse

I do saw someone use this, I think it's effective if you use this skill on grouped mobs to maximize the number of mob affected. I do understand some pvp mage didn't have the plat to respec and use this skill, but if you have the curse exclusively for pve, I prefer you get all the main 3 skills above.

Lifegiver and shield

Shield is preferable more than lifegiver because everyone has pot and mage die in seconds. But if you stupid enough like me to put 70 points in str, stick to lifegiver. Don't pay attention much to rogue that ask for mana. But if you're kind enough try to run to them then give them mana. I have a rogue myself and smile everytime when mage give me mana. Rogue that see this, please say thanks to all the kind mage that give mana.

I will add pic later. Sorry if your eye hurts by my grammar because I'm not born to be a native english. Feel free to pm or post a corrected grammar of my post if you're OCD enough. Post if you disagree with me. Maybe we can develop a better strategy together.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to moot For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Nice guide

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    But if you stupid enough like me to put 70 points in str, stick to lifegiver.
    Actually, having lots of points in STR is a good reason to use shield. STR stat makes shield much more effective. The formula for how much damage the shield absorbs is: [(STR x 2) + INT] x 3.5

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Actually, having lots of points in STR is a good reason to use shield. STR stat makes shield much more effective. The formula for how much damage the shield absorbs is: [(STR x 2) + INT] x 3.5
    I'm planning to have shield on next expansion to start pvping. Although I'm still pvping once in a while to farm death. Yeah I saw the formula somewhere but don't remember but thanks for putting it here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    I'm planning to have shield on next expansion to start pvping. Although I'm still pvping once in a while to farm death. Yeah I saw the formula somewhere but don't remember but thanks for putting it here.
    I originally added shield for PvP purposes, but I have found it is extremely useful in farming elite maps and arena. Yes, if you have shield and heal then it limits you to 2 offensive skills. So you won't be as big of a damage dealer, but you won't die nearly as often either. For myself, I prefer to keep my deaths to a minimum and I will live with having fewer offensive skills. Only downside is that I have never gotten a leaderboard banner for a timed run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm... I Think Samael is a good pet for Sorcerer..

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Heal - good for flagging. Nothing else. Period.
    Rogues will never get my mana!!!

Also as far as Pve is concerned. Time is OP. not ice

Some stuff Here I can see helping beginners understand basic Sorcerer concepts but nothing for intermediate to advanced players.
    Some stuff just wrong such as the heal instead of shield.

Finally .... Don't tell them your dumb at the end of your own guide man. You kinda discredit yourself before we even get a chance too. Great effort though and good job tryin to help some noobs out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Psykopathic28 View Post
    Heal - good for flagging. Nothing else. Period.
    Rogues will never get my mana!!!

Also as far as Pve is concerned. Time is OP. not ice

Some stuff Here I can see helping beginners understand basic Sorcerer concepts but nothing for intermediate to advanced players.
    Some stuff just wrong such as the heal instead of shield.

Finally .... Don't tell them your dumb at the end of your own guide man. You kinda discredit yourself before we even get a chance too. Great effort though and good job tryin to help some noobs out
    Well both time shift and ice are OP. I just solo elite Palm Rock Island (people said I can get firesquid but I got bandit jerk of jerkin wtf) and found both of the skills are OP in their own way. When I'm soloing, I use clock as a barrier to prevent enemies from coming to me. So melee enemies can't hit me but ranged enemies still can. So I charge my fireball to knockdown them while going towards them (them=ranged enemies) then I use charged ice closely to freeze them all and hide behind my clock again. I can also freeze the crab mob that can crit me to death.

This is what makes me love sorcerer class more than rogue. I do see that it takes me forever to beat the boss but it's ok as I already conquered the mobs.

And can you point out what is wrong in the guide? I do say shield is preferable more than heal because heal can pull aggro so you don't want to heal your health for a second and die in the next second.
    Last edited by moot; 08-15-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

nice! I started to try gale frost time and shield ) and drop fireball for now! )
    First time to try gale! and I'm loving it! pushing mobs to the wall and make them tight and drop clock then Frost!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sterniz View Post
    nice! I started to try gale frost time and shield ) and drop fireball for now! )
    First time to try gale! and I'm loving it! pushing mobs to the wall and make them tight and drop clock then Frost!
    this... is how to use gale.

<Elite Runners>

IGNs: Alrisaia | Alrisio | Gallinar
    Guides: Glossary of Terms | Twisting Ribbit | The Blender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Why stupid for put 70 points in XTRENGHT? could you explain me...? I know int is most important skill for magues.

Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The Castle That Never Was, with my Shadowstar and Eternal Frost, also with Ebonine.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anizeoat View Post
    Why stupid for put 70 points in XTRENGHT? could you explain me...? I know int is most important skill for magues.

Thanks.

1. Mages are very squishy, and die easily, so having Mage armor with str/attribute points in str gives them more health.
    2. Based on str and Int, shield has something to do with it.

All for One, and One for All!
    The Brightest of Flames..cast the Darkest of Shadows..
    One who knows nothing cannot understand anything..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anizeoat View Post

Thanks.

70 points is just too much to put to non main stat. 70 str is better than 70 dex because it actually contribute to your shield. Also I don't get a shield so the 70 str points fully goes into health (I don't maximize the potential by having a shield).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

It's true. Better to invest all skill points into int and keep different armor sets for different bosses. These 3 I use the most:

Noble of grace-highest damage lowest health.

Demonlord of security- has good health and damage.

Champion of will-highest health lowest damage.

If a boss can hit really hard and I'm worried I put champion set on and gain 400extra health at a loss of 20 damage. Use the passive skill points for strength if you need more health but after int and dex are full.