Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Regarding Skill Descriptions.

1.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #21
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,199 Posts

Today's update included changes to the skill descriptions as part of a multi-stage effort to make the information more useful.

I changed the skill descriptions to include mana cost, cool-down time periods, effective range, damage min - max and more info about secondary effects (like debuffs and how they affect target armor, damage, etc.).

In this current iteration, ranges of values are from "Rank 1" to "Rank 5" - so you will see things like '6 - 120 Damage' on some stuff... meaning that if you're at Rank 1 the lowest damage you'll do is '6' and when you've ranked the skill to Rank 5 the maximum damage will be '120.' Not ideal, obviously, but it's a step in the right direction.

In the future we will see a change to the way skill descriptions are represented - adding more lines of text and (for me) the ability to put in much more data without worrying about various formatting problems between iPhone and iPad versions of the Skills interface.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Cinco

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    Good suggestion, we'll do our best!
    Hahaha! You guys are awesome!

While you're granting wishes, I'd like 500 additional stat points for each of my characters.

Distincthood - 35 Archer
    Dodgethis - 35 Warrior
    Magica - 35 Enchantress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
    Today's update included changes to the skill descriptions as part of a multi-stage effort to make the information more useful.

I changed the skill descriptions to include mana cost, cool-down time periods, effective range, damage min - max and more info about secondary effects (like debuffs and how they affect target armor, damage, etc.).

In this current iteration, ranges of values are from "Rank 1" to "Rank 5" - so you will see things like '6 - 120 Damage' on some stuff... meaning that if you're at Rank 1 the lowest damage you'll do is '6' and when you've ranked the skill to Rank 5 the maximum damage will be '120.' Not ideal, obviously, but it's a step in the right direction.

In the future we will see a change to the way skill descriptions are represented - adding more lines of text and (for me) the ability to put in much more data without worrying about various formatting problems between iPhone and iPad versions of the Skills interface.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Cinco

Well rather then have it confusing, why not explain what the skills does for *that* level. Eg at lvl 1 it says 6 damage, At level 2 it says 35 damage, etc. Dont need to say what increases, since when they add it they can see.

6 - 120 damage sounds like, when I cast a spell, it does 6d20 damage (DnD terms ftw), so it sounds like it is a a huge damage range which is very random.
    / oh hai~!
    /

IGN: Igglebob , Moondrake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Splurd View Post

Well rather then have it confusing, why not explain what the skills does for *that* level. Eg at lvl 1 it says 6 damage, At level 2 it says 35 damage, etc. Dont need to say what increases, since when they add it they can see.

6 - 120 damage sounds like, when I cast a spell, it does 6d20 damage (DnD terms ftw), so it sounds like it is a a huge damage range which is very random.
    I understood it just fine.

Btw Great job Cinco. However this new information seems to indicate that damage spells like slashes are set in stone and are not effected by the weapon being used, which i think is an issue. Thats a post for another time though, so thanks so much for this update (and your constant hard work on the game).

Ogrim-lvl 50-Ursan Alta-lvl 45-Enchantress Broke-lvl 45-Avian
    Venom Website: http://venom.forumn.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I understood it just fine.

Btw Great job Cinco. However this new information seems to indicate that damage spells like slashes are set in stone and are not effected by the weapon being used, which i think is an issue. Thats a post for another time though, so thanks so much for this update (and your constant hard work on the game).

That is because you read the patch notes and understood what they meant.

Try viewing it from the perspective of a new player who has not read the patch notes and looks at a skill which says, 12-80 damage, with 20-90% chance to stun.
    See, the way they phrase it is misleading. The dash even more so. Since dash is usually used to express a range. Like weapons. My bow does 40-50dmg. My stats, I do 70-80 damage. And my skill? Does 12-80 damage. So people will think the skill does a range of damage.

But I do agree with the issue about the weapon. Tho how the spell damage is calculated is still a mystery to me. (dps or dmg? I cant tell)
    / oh hai~!
    /

IGN: Igglebob , Moondrake

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I'm late jumping onto the bandwagon... but as of right now the description sounds like it's written by an engineer and a normal human being wouldn't understand it at all. it's good that you guys are making updates but this isn't exactly the right direction...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Splurd View Post

....phrase it is misleading. The dash even more so. Since dash is usually used to express a range. Like weapons. My bow does 40-50dmg. My stats, I do 70-80 damage. And my skill? Does 12-80 damage. So people will think the skill does a range of damage.
    Very true. It does look like a range.

Started playing yesterday and i needed to search in the forums to get to the conclusion that I have missinterpreted the skill damage.

By the way: is there already somewhere, not ingame, where we could read/compare the various skills from the diferent classes? Wiky kind of stuff...
    Last edited by Tatanka; 05-11-2010 at 10:23 PM.