Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Offensive Names

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    Would "DrugDealer" be offensive? (not trying to antagonize you here just trying to play Devil's advocate a bit... Don't get me wrong I completely agree with you that some names need to be reported I am just thinking about how difficult it must be for PL to deal with the reporting as well as the random reporting of non offensive names).
    I would not say this would be offensive to me but if "DrugDealer" was blocked by the name creation tool and you named your character DrugDealler or something you would be going around the ruleset on the character creation and I would think would be against the rules. Once again the devs might have another opinion on someone using the name DrugDealer.

I completely agree where you are coming from StompArtist but I would rather see someone named DrugDealer than names of humans privates or ones that are clearly there to test the limits of people and the devs.

I mean I would also love to see some naming structure on top of removing the offensive names so we could get rid of the aaaaaaaaaaaaa oooowowowowowow type of names where they just mashed their keyboard ( I think those ones should be just renamed not actually banned ) but that is just my view on things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would love to report, but I dont know how to take screenshots on my phone... Samsung Captivate 2.1
    [B]Level 50 Cyber Void Full Dex Archer: Seratonin, Level 50 (Experimental) Dex/IntMage, Cyber Cosmos, Void: Species,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesrider View Post
    Cross-eyed yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seratonin View Post
    I would love to report, but I dont know how to take screenshots on my phone... Samsung Captivate 2.1
    Hit the report button? I think when the devs see the name, they'll notice. I think. Since report is mainly for inappropriate behavior. Whether a machine scans though the messages or a dev idk. Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

If your using Android you can download for free from Market an application called ShootMe once running and installed you just shake your phone to have it save the current screenshot to your sdcard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

I believe there was a forum member and game member on here with the name of Icumblood. This was when the community was small and everybody knew him and was disgusted by the name. Eventually dev's found out and renamed him Ibleedblood, I don't think he got banned. I assume this is what will happen if it is your first offense.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel View Post
    I believe there was a forum member and game member on here with the name of Icumblood. This was when the community was small and everybody knew him and was disgusted by the name. Eventually dev's found out and renamed him Ibleedblood, I don't think he got banned. I assume this is what will happen if it is your first offense.
    I remember him. He got banned for 24 hours. I've seen facebook posts saying how people got banned for 24 hours due to a dirty name, I think offensive names. I've seen some horrible ones referring to jewish people, they get pretty horrible, those people get banned for good I believe. And they should.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    Well that is what I was thinking about earlier... before I saw your post. For example your "bowjobs" is just plain funny to me and anyone who thinks further than throwing arrows already knows what this is about anyways. On the other hand, "TouchingKids" for example is clearly offensive! What I am trying to say is that it is really hard in some cases to draw the line vs other cases where it's just plain obvious... I dunno must be difficult for the PL people to keep up with all the complaints.
    Sounds like a peado to me and theres nothing i hate more

im on about that touchingkids its sick if i see him i will give him a piece of my mind
    Tupaclegend lvl 62 Warrior
    proud member of C.O.T

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnonymous View Post
    If your using Android you can download for free from Market an application called ShootMe once running and installed you just shake your phone to have it save the current screenshot to your sdcard.
    I'm going to go check this out now! thanks!
    [B]Level 50 Cyber Void Full Dex Archer: Seratonin, Level 50 (Experimental) Dex/IntMage, Cyber Cosmos, Void: Species,
    Cross-eyed yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The obvious offensive names are banned. I never seen a really bad ign on twice. On one day and gone the next. = banned imo and should be.

Im sure my ign is offensive to some but idt i should be banned for it. My friend has a toon called ihateualldie and one called iloveuall. Many people have names they like but might offend the next person.

Points is the truely offensive ign's are banned and they will continued to be banned.
    Last edited by Alterra; 12-13-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    IGN
    Satansnecro lv 50 Rift/Cosmos mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going to go check this out now! thanks!
    Fail! I don't have root access. How can I achieve root access? Google will surely find out for me!

Update: It seems like a whole lot of work to do that, and I don't want to screw it up.
    Last edited by Seratonin; 12-13-2010 at 07:51 PM.
    Cross-eyed yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wait you guys can't seriously be caring this much about names? this is ridiculous. how offensive can these names actually be if they aren't targeting a specific group of people?? honestly quit brown-nosing. this isn't runescape... STS isn't going to make anyone a forum mod!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    You are truly an unnecessary user. Exit the forums, wait 1/5 decades, get back on
    (¯`v´¯) toastytorpedo
    .`·.¸.·´ ¸.·´¸.·´¨) IGN
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not about forum moderation, more than it's about improving the environment for suitable players....
    Cross-eyed yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Toasty, its because kids play this game and when they see names like these their young minds get corrupted. I wouldn't want my child to be running around saying words he doesn't completely understand. Well, now that I think about it.... any child of mine would probably be an abomination. Jokes...
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOASTYTorpedo View Post
    wait you guys can't seriously be caring this much about names? this is ridiculous. how offensive can these names actually be if they aren't targeting a specific group of people?? honestly quit brown-nosing. this isn't runescape... STS isn't going to make anyone a forum mod!
    Are you serious? You don't see how if kids are playing this it could be a problem? I am sure the devs are professional enough to not want some of that stuff in their games. I don't see how you can possible call this ridiculous. What is ridiculous is that someone would name their characters those names....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No hard feelings here, but i'm just having a hard time believing that this many people actually truly dislike "offensive" names. In my opinion, the names listed in the initial post did not target any single group of people. But if people are actually against this, then so be it.
    You are truly an unnecessary user. Exit the forums, wait 1/5 decades, get back on
    (¯`v´¯) toastytorpedo
    .`·.¸.·´ ¸.·´¸.·´¨) IGN
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

No hard feelings here, but i'm just having a hard time believing that this many people actually truly dislike "offensive" names. In my opinion, the names listed in the initial post did not target any single group of people. But if people are actually against this, then so be it.
    Someone can easily get offended by sexual names such as that. Think about the possibilities. None the less, kids play, why should STS be held responsible for kids knowing that kind of stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Offensive Names

Look at it from a company point of view not just our point of view. This game allows kids of all ages to be part of the world and granted most of the people using these names are either immature, young themselves, or just coming to harrass people and don't plan on paying for the game / development or whatever reason it maybe. I for one contribute to the development of the game with buying plat and I also have kids which if I knew the game allowed this kind of stuff I would probably leave and also not let them play it.

This isn't runescape your correct and I hope it never reaches to that level and with controls like not allowing people to spam random offensive stuff or use offensive names it shouldn't get to that level.

If your going to stand up for the offensive names and offensive language/actions in the game give a reason why you are doing so. What does having a offensive name or using offensive language/actions in game actually get you that you couldn't get not having a normal / non offensive name?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

fine, fine; I have seen the light, I take it back...
    I guess what my point is that players shouldn't be held responsible for creating these "offensive" names. If the name makes it past the initial naming filter, then it is valid. I understand that it could be a good idea for devs to update the filter but as for people who already have names that violate it, they shouldn't be banned (just a simple rename).
    Also, I can see why using double letters to spell otherwise invalid words is a little snide... but honestly "dadtouchedme" is not really a big deal.

*Hope I didn't hurt your feelings* ^^
    (¯`v´¯) toastytorpedo
    .`·.¸.·´ ¸.·´¸.·´¨) IGN
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨;

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umm I have seen some very offensive ones and this is balonia speaking....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw somebody just last night running around using the "n word" just spelled slightly different. I reported them but I was shocked the guy had already made it past level 20. Call me a brown noser but I just dislike that sort of thing. Most names don't offend me but when we start targeting races or groups of people it needs to be reported.