Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Developing Story: Arcane Shards Discovered in Mount Rockhorn!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
    We're listening, if the consensus seem to lean towards restricting the recipe to individual farming that is within our power to do so. The current plan is to allow it to be tradeable after purchase, but is an open point of debate internally here as well as it has pros and cons associated. Please feel free to leave more feedback about this aspect if you have an opinion on the matter. Obviously if we choose one, it doesn't mean it will be that way forever, so perhaps an initial offering of non-tradeable to start that becomes tradeable as the season comes to an end is feasible. Going the other way would create much more friction.
    I know some people are not going to agree with my opinion and are going to say that what I suggest is "too hard", but I think this will make for tons of fun.... Here is how I would do it:

Make the Dragons Teeth an epic rarity item that drops from the elite bosses in the new expansion, and make them drop at a decent rate. Make it so that a large number of Dragons Teeth are needed to purchase the recipe for the Arcane Ring, perhaps 50-100 of them depending on how often they drop. Then make the recipe tradable, but NOT the Dragons Teeth.

The result of this is that the recipe will end up being very valuable and not only the Arcane Shard. Obtaining the recipe will be something that takes weeks/months, similar to how the ichor quest was in Pocket Legends. It will be a long grind, and should take a few hundred elite boss kills minimum in order to obtain enough Dragons Teeth to purchase the recipe. This will give non-plat spenders an opportunity to earn money by farming for Dragons Teeth.

Remember that the Arcane Ring should be good for multiple seasons, so this should be a long grind and something that keeps us interested for a long time. Remember in Pocket Legends how everyone wanted to craft demonic sets, but those glyph steels and other crafting components were so hard to find? It took months to craft those sets, and even then most players could not manage to craft a full set. That was a ton of fun! But crafting in the later PL expansions was very boring by comparison and within a month of each expansion, most players had fully crafted sets.

People will say that they want it to be easy, and they will complain when it is hard, but the truth is that they get bored when it is easy, and they play more when it is a challenge. Make it difficult, and not only luck based, but make there be some element of it that requires some hard work.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 02-24-2014 at 03:02 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    This is a question the requires the chance at drops, but taking into account the general history of the game and the way the odds go I would predict it would work out like this:

To craft the ring, it requires BOTH the arcane shard and the recipe, so the RARITY of the ring is going to either be based on the rarity of the shard or the recipe. Considering the Shard drops from crates and Elite Golden's, it is a safe bet to assume that is going to be the limiting item. Recipes drop from the bosses and due to elixirs those can be over farmed quickly so in all probability the number of recipes looted in game is going increase at a much faster rate then the Shards. This means for every recipe used per Shard, there will also be a glut of unused recipes causing them to caaaarrraaassshhhh in value extremely quick making them a pretty much useless part of the equation. (Think of it like McDonalds Monopoly where there are TONS of Park Place pieces but only two Boardwalks)

The solution to make the recipe a useful ingredient is either to require the player to farm their OWN recipe (which would cause anger), to take the recipes out of the luck table and make them EXTREMELY rare (which would cause anger) or ... hmm ... (glad I don't make the game).
    Agreed 100%! See my previous post for my suggestion to fix this issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts

I vote for Energi's suggestion.

I suggest the amount of Teeths to be very high 50-100. So the prize of the receipt can maintain a high value even after a long period of time.

Another restriction can be permitting only 1/2 teeth loot per day...
    Last edited by Anarchist; 02-24-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Agreed with aforementioned suggestions, a truly challenging upgrade quest does sound interesting.

But, it should also be taken into consideration that this finalized-type legends game had its difficulty scaled down from the beginning - compared to previous games. So as much as a really demanding and considerabe effort-requiring process appeals to those of us who would like a greater challenge, it's important not to excess that set difficulty limit.

Concerning the Dragons Teeth, initially, untradability would prevent (to some extent) the pure platinum users of getting hold of the new ring in a week or two without being forced to run elites. Later down the road maybe it'd be viewed as a decent way to make some profit for the average players, as long as the drop rates aren't insanely high as the original ones for essences.

There is no reason to compare which one of the required ingredients for the arcane ring should be more valuable, the dragon teeth recipe is just for added difficulty; maybe a way to test how well this new crafting system method would work as well as how players will react to it.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    I know some people are not going to agree with my opinion and are going to say that what I suggest is "too hard", but I think this will make for tons of fun.... Here is how I would do it:

Make the Dragons Teeth an epic rarity item that drops from the elite bosses in the new expansion, and make them drop at a decent rate. Make it so that a large number of Dragons Teeth are needed to purchase the recipe for the Arcane Ring, perhaps 50-100 of them depending on how often they drop. Then make the recipe tradable, but NOT the Dragons Teeth.

The result of this is that the recipe will end up being very valuable and not only the Arcane Shard. Obtaining the recipe will be something that takes weeks/months, similar to how the ichor quest was in Pocket Legends. It will be a long grind, and should take a few hundred elite boss kills minimum in order to obtain enough Dragons Teeth to purchase the recipe. This will give non-plat spenders an opportunity to earn money by farming for Dragons Teeth.

Remember that the Arcane Ring should be good for multiple seasons, so this should be a long grind and something that keeps us interested for a long time. Remember in Pocket Legends how everyone wanted to craft demonic sets, but those glyph steels and other crafting components were so hard to find? It took months to craft those sets, and even then most players could not manage to craft a full set. That was a ton of fun! But crafting in the later PL expansions was very boring by comparison and within a month of each expansion, most players had fully crafted sets.

People will say that they want it to be easy, and they will complain when it is hard, but the truth is that they get bored when it is easy, and they play more when it is a challenge. Make it difficult, and not only luck based, but make there be some element of it that requires some hard work.
    This

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Would probably end up like crawly though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

I don't really see the point in making the recipe trade-able.

The people who will be able to afford to craft the ring after buying up and/or looting shards will buy the recipe for a decent amount of gold or craft their own farming elites and then what?

It's only for ONE arcane item. At that rate I see the fate of the recipe the same as that of the gems.

The people who craft it first will make a decent amount when they sell it off to the rich and anyone who falls in line after that will watch as the value slowly drops for an item that only the rich can afford seeing as how the market will eventually flood with recipes - and lets face it, once they have it the interest in continuing to craft this one item will wane as there is no sense in continuing to spend plat needlessly just for this one item.

The only way to keep the recipe relevant is to seriously implement these arcane shards into current arcane items, that's the only way to ensure that it lives its usefulness to everyone.

I know that I would gladly keep farming dragons teeth for a recipe if i know that people with arcane items will be interested in buying them to upgrade their weapons, but if it's just for the one ring and that's it, I don't really get it.
    Lvl 46 Mage - Sorcerie|Lvl 46 Rogue - Noxbolt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cool

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EliteFamily View Post
    Another restriction can be permitting only 1/2 teeth loot per day...
    No. It would take 50-100 days to acquire enough teeth, some people don't even play during the weekdays and only weekends, so it could take up to 300-400 days for those poor guys. I think that's a bit too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Instanthumor View Post
    No. It would take 50-100 days to acquire enough teeth, some people don't even play during the weekdays and only weekends, so it could take up to 300-400 days for those poor guys. I think that's a bit too much.
    Agreed, there should be no limit on how many you can farm in one day. If someone wants to play for 12 hours straight and farm a whole bunch, more power to them.

The only reason to ever limit how many of something someone can get in one day is when it's some kind of easy reward like story tokens where it would otherwise be abused by players making lots of alts.
    Last edited by Energizeric; 02-24-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Wew! Only 1 arcane shard required, so shards will be worth millions.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
    A minor oversight on our part, of course the Arcane Shard will be available rarely from the Elite Gold Chests that drop in the expansion. The recipe for making the ring is also planned to be tradeable. This means once you learn it for yourself, you can farm for more Teeth and vendor the recipe on the CS!
    In this case, I suppose opening new Elite Gold Crates seems better the better option if we are solely going for the arcane shard. For locked crates, even IF we get an arcane roll, we may end up getting hooks, maul, ker'shal, hammerjaw, glacian, samael, singe.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zomnisorc View Post
    Agreed with aforementioned suggestions, a truly challenging upgrade quest does sound interesting.

But, it should also be taken into consideration that this finalized-type legends game had its difficulty scaled down from the beginning - compared to previous games. So as much as a really demanding and considerabe effort-requiring process appeals to those of us who would like a greater challenge, it's important not to excess that set difficulty limit.

Concerning the Dragons Teeth, initially, untradability would prevent (to some extent) the pure platinum users of getting hold of the new ring in a week or two without being forced to run elites. Later down the road maybe it'd be viewed as a decent way to make some profit for the average players, as long as the drop rates aren't insanely high as the original ones for essences.

There is no reason to compare which one of the required ingredients for the arcane ring should be more valuable, the dragon teeth recipe is just for added difficulty; maybe a way to test how well this new crafting system method would work as well as how players will react to it.
    2000% agree.
    Platinum-users should also be involved in farming-crafting part, or waste enough money (and time to wait till non-platinum users decide to sell receipts) to make it worthy.
    Otherwise if donating helps getting a ring in a week or two the whole fun part of the process will be ruined

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice nice nice :3

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Okatare View Post
    2000% agree.
    Platinum-users should also be involved in farming-crafting part, or waste enough money (and time to wait till non-platinum users decide to sell receipts) to make it worthy.
    Otherwise if donating helps getting a ring in a week or two the whole fun part of the process will be ruined
    I can bet that we will see new arcane ring in week or two...just wait

Sent from Vox TV via...wait,what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Another thing I am thinking of is to make it as a quest. Like "kill boss 50 times to get a piece of receipt" otherwise if it is a child play alike it may become a problem for done people. Few ones I know don't have this ap yet, though they spend days hunting child in arena. This is not fair..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandorix View Post
    I can bet that we will see new arcane ring in week or two...just wait

Sad truth... but still I hope

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Default Balance is the key...

I think the way already suggested by STS is ok.
    Everyone is never going to be happy.
    Everyone wants an edge. Free players want to edge out plat buyers by making it about some insane Elite run thing. Plat buyers well they keep the game going and have some edge. If it's next to impossible most people will give up on it. The limiting factor will be the number of shards that are available. I think the fact that shards will drop from EG is a HUGE bone to non plat buyers. The reciprocal of this can't be swayed to the other side to Elite Runners either. (I know this will not make some peeps happy either) I really like this game but honestly I have a real job and can't play the game 10 hours a day. Sooooo balance is the key. No one gets any edge except I suppose people that pay and free elite runners now have a real chance themselves for whole thing with 0 dollars and maybe less farming. I honestly can't think of a more fair setup.
    rogue ~ retired GM Enigmatic

20. The Following User Says Thank You to notfaded1 For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

This game will never be balanced no mather what they do...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post

Ok, but 50-100 dragons teeth is a lot inventory space.