Thread: Next 5 skill points for full offense Mage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

Default Next 5 skill points for full offense Mage?

With the new expansion coming out I'm trying to figure out where to put the next 5 skill points. This is strictly for pve. This is what I run now:

Fire-4/5-except last upgrade
    Ice-4/5-Except ice patch
    Lightning-3/5-1st and 3rd upgrades only
    Clock-4/5-except exploding clock

Passives
    all maxed-int, str, dex, damage

Now I'm not sure if I should max critical or go with shield for elite bosses. Does max critical give enough extra damage for it to be worth it?
    Last edited by Wutzgood; 02-02-2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Add on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

For pve (and not using heal skill) I guess I'd go for critical and add some DOT upgrades on ice and fire, also critical chance maxed would give you more lightning damage ( more rain of bolts over mobs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

Yeah I would never use heal when potions are so much more effective for everyone. Added what upgrades I had on skills. Is the passive critical noticeable enough when maxed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I have exactly your build :-)
    Atm i'm still thinkink to add last upgrade in fireball to increase survivability and/or second upgrade in lightining (multi lightinings) to increase dmg output, and i will surely put left points in passive crit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

If you're pveing only go Crit. That is 5% passive crit into your stats. Do you know how much of a stat boost is required to boost it that high? The fact that you have lightning, i'm surprised you didn't opt for crit already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keikali View Post
    If you're pveing only go Crit. That is 5% passive crit into your stats. Do you know how much of a stat boost is required to boost it that high? The fact that you have lightning, i'm surprised you didn't opt for crit already.
    Last expansion I had to choose between damage and critical passive and after respec a few times I found damage was helping more than critical was. Thanks for the info tho. I'll most likely just add critical passive next expansion. I've already become accustomed to not having shield and just avoiding red zones anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

You only need 3/5 on ice. Don't take ice wielder upgrade. If you charge ice it still freezes targets around you/your target. Try it out. This frees up one to add to a passive like crit or you can move it to clock. Next season it'll look like this for me:

Fire 4/5
    Ice 3/5
    Lightning-3/5
    Clock 5/5

Passives
    all maxed-int, str, dex, damage, crit

If you don't like exploding clock go for electrical discharge, its good in like km3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post
    You only need 3/5 on ice. Don't take ice wielder upgrade. If you charge ice it still freezes targets around you/your target. Try it out. This frees up one to add to a passive like crit or you can move it to clock. Next season it'll look like this for me:

Fire 4/5
    Ice 3/5
    Lightning-3/5
    Clock 5/5

Passives

If you don't like exploding clock go for electrical discharge, its good in like km3.
    I've got the same build. Just, I took arcane shield too so I run 5 skill build. I switch clock/shield with lightning at boss. Just yeah, how you survive without shield in elites? I know u are full mythic but still is it hard? I am not full myth atm so I ask because its kinda impossible with Tarloks gear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chorba69 View Post
    I've got the same build. Just, I took arcane shield too so I run 5 skill build. I switch clock/shield with lightning at boss. Just yeah, how you survive without shield in elites? I know u are full mythic but still is it hard? I am not full myth atm so I ask because its kinda impossible with Tarloks gear.
    For elites without shield you need to be a master at staying out of the red zone and spamming pots. Also knowing when you are positioned badly because you could face a lot of aggro. A lot of times rogues drop veil in a bad spot and they say stand in my veil to where I say I stand where I don't die. And often I see people die because where veil is dropped is a bad spot. And people think 10% increase in armor is something significant. When running elites you are probably charging everything because you need to freeze mobs, stun them and root them. The mages in Shuyal aren't effected by this so it can be very hard. But once you are in the red zone move quickly to get out of the way. For boss fights you need to study the various moves of bosses because generally they occur in a predictable pattern. And you need to use the range of your skills to their maximum advantage. Again stay out of the red zone. Most of the time it works but a sometimes I get one hit outside of the red zone on certain bosses. The worst was last season against Frostr. This season elite Inan isn't so bad but he's one hit me outside the red zone more then once. Also using a pet that has a panic helps a lot. Because you can wait for the boss to do his special attack, there is usually something that happens before it. Then panic the boss, which can cancel this attack. Also this helps with mobs if you get a lot of aggro because you can save yourself using the panic. Each season I had one pet that I used almost 100% of the time, and it looks like this:

Season 3: Clyde
    Season 4: Slag
    Season 5: Samael

All of these 3 pets will panic and are great for mages.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by falmear View Post

Fire 4/5
    Ice 3/5
    Lightning-3/5
    Clock 5/5

Passives

Looks like a solid build.

I personally am not a huge fan of shield. Would rather just avoid red zones. Find that I die less that way. Crowd control FTW. I also haven't done much elite maps on mage so I might change my mind on that when I do.

AL - Frostine: Sorcerer | | | PL - Frostine: Ench (70)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frostine View Post
    Looks like a solid build.

I personally am not a huge fan of shield. Would rather just avoid red zones. Find that I die less that way. Crowd control FTW. I also haven't done much elite maps on mage so I might change my mind on that when I do.
    Invite a warrior to the party if die lot. Sad but true: this pvp class has nothing else to do in pve, than keep you alive and save some pots by pulling aggro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haligali View Post
    Invite a warrior to the party if die lot. Sad but true: this pvp class has nothing else to do in pve, than keep you alive and save some pots by pulling aggro.
    False. A good tank who pulls aggro and keeps the boss occupied make the party much more efficient as us smurfs could dish out our skills, instead of letting the highest damage dealer in the party turns into the "tank". Warrior also helps when they have feeble. Crit kills. Try running an elite map without a good warrior.
    I'm not loving my shield either. Not having enough str in my build and not having mythic gear makes that shield feels like jelly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silverpegasus View Post
    False. A good tank who pulls aggro and keeps the boss occupied make the party much more efficient as us smurfs could dish out our skills, instead of letting the highest damage dealer in the party turns into the "tank". Warrior also helps when they have feeble. Crit kills. Try running an elite map without a good warrior.
    I'm not loving my shield either. Not having enough str in my build and not having mythic gear makes that shield feels like jelly.
    2 sorcerer can handle the biggest pulls, dont be shy to use your pots. Not having enough str in build and not having mythic gear sounds like a wrong elite build for me. You need gear with str+int, and passive str also if you arent mythic. "Try running an elite map without a good warrior." thanks for the advice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

aww. well im always toast in elite map. can i run with you Haligali? And no I dont have mythic gear, just tarlok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    152 Posts

After much consideration I kept my build and added these skills:

Ice patch upgrade
    Chain lightning upgrade
    Exploding clock upgrade
    Shield and 2 sec invincibility upgrade

I've become so accustomed to avoiding red zones an spamming potions that the rest of the shield upgrades wot help me much. 2 sec invincibility can be useful tho.

Chain lightning is great and I miss the ice patch I removed a while ago. Exploding clock was just for added damage.

5 percent crit wasn't worth the 5 points fort build when I could just use a pet arcane ability for a much higher crit increase.