Thread: How To Fix The Class Stacking Issue in PvP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Default How To Fix The Class Stacking Issue in PvP

I've read a lot of earnest requests by fellow players for class restrictions in PvP, meaning that any given PvP room would only allow a set number from each class. I'm sorry to disappoint, but think it's a really terrible idea. Not only would it increase class resentment (we don't need any more of that!), but it would actually turn away legit players just trying to play PvP. It's a much bigger barrier, I think, than proponents imagine. And, I don't buy the "greater good" argument for a second, an individual player must have a right to play regardless of which class they choose. Individual player needs should trump guild needs in most cases.

That being said, It's quite obvious that players using certain skills with area of effect become ridiculously difficult to overcome if they are used by multiple players of the same class in close proximity to each other. 3-4 warriors healing and jugg-ing and stunning and proc-ing weapons together become an unstoppable force. Same with Sorcerers, but to a lesser degree. Most PvP-useful Rogues skills just don't get a stack advantage. This situation is clearly unfair to Rogues.

One way to fix this issue is to apply a diminishing returns rule to certain AoE skills if they are used in proximity to each other within a set time. It's an idea I'm stealing from economics, but it applies in many other fields study and in everyday life.

Example of how diminishing return (DR) rule might work on the Warrior skill Horn of Renew.

1. Warrior A charges, then activates Horn of Renew.
    2. The DR timer is set for 15 seconds and the DR proximity is set to the range of 8 meters, all based on Warrior A's skill stats.
    3. 2 seconds later, Warrior B charges, then activates Horn of Renew within the 8 meter area surrounding Warrior A.
    4. The DR rule gets applied and Warrior B's Horn of Renew damage healed is reduced by 33% (66% of normal heal), and the protective shield duration is also reduced by 33% (66% of normal time)
    5. 4 seconds later Warrior C charges, then activates Horn of Renew within the 8 meter area surrounding Warrior A.
    6. Because the original DR timer (15 sec) hasn't yet expired, the DR rule gets applied again.
    7. Warrior C's Horn of Renew damage healed is reduced by another 33% (43.56% of normal heal), and the protective shield duration is also reduced by 33% (43.56% of normal time)
    8. 6 seconds later Warrior D charges, then activates Horn of Renew within the 8 meter area surrounding Warrior A.
    9. Because the original DR timer (15 sec) still hasn't expired, the DR rule gets applied yet again.
    10. Warrior D's Horn of Renew damage healed is reduced by another 33% (28.75% of normal heal), and the protective shield duration is also reduced by 33% (28.75% of normal time)
    11. The DR timer expires.
    12. Warrior E charges, then activates Horn of Renew with 100% damage heal and protective shield time
    13. The DR timer for HoR gets set to his appropriate skill stats.

As you can imagine, this scheme would eliminate the overwhelming advantage that is now (inadvertently) granted by stacking players of the same class. If implemented, the DM Rule would also increase gameplay options and number of strategies employed.

Comments and critiques are welcome!
    Last edited by Niixed; 08-04-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association