Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favors for Friends in Game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Range, I only give stuff to a few select friends who I am confident in their character. I've got a partner in game that could have anything I owned if they needed it and all the gold in my stash too, but that is one person only, and the loyalty is mutual. If I found out my friends were getting steep discounts only to sell, that would be the end of the discounts too.

If I sold something to someone for a discount under the guise of them "needing it or wanting to collect it" and they turned around and sold for profit, that would be a marked man in my book.

If I were you, I'd count it as a lesson learned for cheap.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
    Last edited by Duped; 05-09-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    Duped - Lvl 65 Mage
    Conanursan - Lvl 65 Bear
    Isniped - Lvl 65 Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duped View Post
    Range, I only give stuff to a few select friends who I am confident in their character. I've got a partner in game that could have anything I owned if they needed it and all the gold in my stash too, but that is one person only, and the loyalty is mutual.

If I sold something to someone for a discount under the guise of them "needing it or wanting to collect it" and they turned around and sold for profit, that would be a marked man in my book.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
    Yea, I got a few people like that xD. He was one of them. Oh well, life burns you at times, even in a game xD. I'll be closing the thread soon. ;P.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

I don't mind if they wait a while and sell it. I've done it at times. If they sell it like one day later, then I do mind. I feel like I got cheated then. But like I said, if they enjoy and use it for a while, then sell it. Im fine with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My SO's dad has a designer shoe obsession. He makes piles of money, so flying to Hong Kong to go shopping for fancy Pumas is just sort of...part of his routine.

Anyway, I was over the other day, and he asked if I wanted any of them, he had probably 30 pairs of shoes, worn once or twice, all weird collectable designer shoes that I could probably sell on eBay for $100-200 a pair. I took them all, gladly, and brought them home, eager to try them on. He doesn't always pay that much attention to sizes or how/if they fit, so they range in size from US9 to US11, meaning some don't fit me.

I could have sold what didn't fit, but that felt sort of icky, so I gave them away to friends, instead. In keeping with the spirit of gift giving. Instead of making a quick few grand on eBay.

Obviously, we all come from different cultures and backgrounds, so we will have different views on that sort of thing. But that's my take, you don't try and profit from other's kindness meant for you.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

I give items to friends who say they need them and don't give it a second thought. I mean, I shouldn't have given it if I was going to get upset at how they decided to use it. Perhaps they actually needed gold and knew the item was expensive. Fact is I dislike selling items, and if they want to go through the hassle then they can be my guest. It's nice to think that in game friends would be honest about their intentions, but you never know why they decided to sell the item in the first place. I'm sure there are some favor counters out there, so just consider it a favor owed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChadM View Post
    My SO's dad has a designer shoe obsession. He makes piles of money, so flying to Hong Kong to go shopping for fancy Pumas is just sort of...part of his routine.

Anyway, I was over the other day, and he asked if I wanted any of them, he had probably 30 pairs of shoes, worn once or twice, all weird collectable designer shoes that I could probably sell on eBay for $100-200 a pair. I took them all, gladly, and brought them home, eager to try them on. He doesn't always pay that much attention to sizes or how/if they fit, so they range in size from US9 to US11, meaning some don't fit me.

I could have sold what didn't fit, but that felt sort of icky, so I gave them away to friends, instead. In keeping with the spirit of gift giving. Instead of making a quick few grand on eBay.

Obviously, we all come from different cultures and backgrounds, so we will have different views on that sort of thing. But that's my take, you don't try and profit from other's kindness meant for you.
    Lol! That made me laugh! . Karma really does happen. Just my luck, I found another one of the same shiv's for the same price in CS. Lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

I tend to stash things people give me because I never want them to come back and ask if they can use it and have to embarrassingly tell them I sold it. If I needed gold and the person had given it to me awhile ago and never asked about I would go tO them and ask if they care if I sell it. I have sold one thing someone gave me but he left the game and told me to sell it when he gave it to me. I made sure I had another of the same item though in case he ever starts playing again.

I try to not get annoyed about gifts being unappreciated because realistically it just feels nice to give things to others. It is hard to quiet the frustration/annoyance when a person isn't a gracious recipient (this can range from not saying thanks, asking for more and more or turning around and selling) but I try to keep in the state of mind and feel good place I was in when I was able to give a friend something.

Now, one thing I don't get is expecting your friend to cut you a deal. This is really more my philosophy in real life but if my friend owns a business I want that business to be successful and would want to support their business. I never ask for deals from friends BECAUSE I want to see my friends do well. Does that make sense? I'm typing on iPod lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    I tend to stash things people give me because I never want them to come back and ask if they can use it and have to embarrassingly tell them I sold it. If I needed gold and the person had given it to me awhile ago and never asked about I would go tO them and ask if they care if I sell it. I have sold one thing someone gave me but he left the game and told me to sell it when he gave it to me. I made sure I had another of the same item though in case he ever starts playing again.

I try to not get annoyed about gifts being unappreciated because realistically it just feels nice to give things to others. It is hard to quiet the frustration/annoyance when a person isn't a gracious recipient (this can range from not saying thanks, asking for more and more or turning around and selling) but I try to keep in the state of mind and feel good place I was in when I was able to give a friend something.

Now, one thing I don't get is expecting your friend to cut you a deal. This is really more my philosophy in real life but if my friend owns a business I want that business to be successful and would want to support their business. I never ask for deals from friends BECAUSE I want to see my friends do well. Does that make sense? I'm typing on iPod lol
    Yea, good life lesson and opinion. I figured out you were typing from an idevice of some sort as soon as I saw the "tO". Lemme guess, the box somehow hopped while you were typing and took you to another part of the page, then when you found your way back to the post it capitalized the "O", because it thought you were typing a new sentence? Happens to me all the time. So dang frustrating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Yep! So annoying especially because I try to correct every mistake :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Thread Locked. *Click* Man! It felt so good to do that!