Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this the end of scaled farming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kallima View Post
    I wouldn't take a lack of response to your thread personally; I think those that are speaking out now would have done so before if the thread title conveyed the specific topic like Riccit's title vs. "an open letter." It's unfortunate that it did get overlooked because it seems the twink/scale farmers except for a few on your thread, dislike (to put it mildly) this new change.

I personally did NOT know what was going on until Fang, I got super excited when I got a wand for my mage, the whole group celebrated with me…only to be disappointed when I went to check stats it was a 61. (I know, a pink is a pink and I should still be excited) I felt like a bait and switch happened. I think I pm'd everyone I knew that had a twink, to confirm WTH happened and vented most of my shorthand profanity then, and am finally getting to do the same in a platform meant to be seen by devs.

My sympathies go out to you for trying to proactively prevent this cursed change. In the future, and I think we should all take note, specify the subject matter in thread title, urge in game friends to be VOCAL about their opinion, and hope the devs base their decision on the true consensus.
    I hadn't thought about the thread title causing it to be overlooked but you're right. I would say that I will take your advice in the future but I'm not planning on giving any more input. The devs say they listen but I'm convinced they're going to do whatever they want anyway. During nuri's we saw people spend large amounts of plat buying elixirs to get to end game. By the time they did either had looted the gear they needed or sold the gear they didn't need and had enough to buy end game sets. Once they reached that point they stopped buy elixirs. Now once they reach end game they won't have the drops they need and will be forced to continue grinding past max level to get the sets they want and they'll continue to buy elixirs to do the grinding. STS is going to do whatever sells elixirs regardless of what we have to say about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    During nuri's we saw people spend large amounts of plat buying elixirs to get to end game. By the time they did either had looted the gear they needed or sold the gear they didn't need and had enough to buy end game sets. Once they reached that point they stopped buy elixirs.
    Ummmm....

Must have missed that. I know many of my 61 friends continued to purchase plat elixirs because of how easy it made farming.

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate
    PL ign: Yvonnel - 66 Enchantress / Yvonnela - 65 Archer / Yvonnelw - 55 Warrior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonnel View Post
    Ummmm....

Must have missed that. I know many of my 61 friends continued to purchase plat elixirs because of how easy it made farming.

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate
    That's just my own observations, yours may be different. I made it a habit to look though because I prefer to run in groups with as few elixir users as possible. It was my experience that groups with 0 or 1 users was easier to find as people reached level 60 or 61.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by robert7204 View Post
    what it means is that low level twink farming is obsolete and top end gear will be harder to get. Right now the xp requirements are lowered but at the end of November they'll go back to normal. So after you mindless grind out 10k xp + per level to reach max what are you rewarded with? More mindless grinding to get the gear you want because the gear you gathered isn't 65 it's 61 and 63 and it sucks.
    Actually, they scaled back the xp requirements too.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atlannie View Post
    Actually, they scaled back the xp requirements too.
    Yes, they are right now. But as I said and you quoted the reduced xp will last until the end of November then will go back to normal. Here's the thread where Sam announced it:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...nd-of-November!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

I think once we stop looking at this as OUR game and look at it as a money maker for the devs we will be able to better understand many of the decisions. Yes, many people spend plat gearing out twinks but I can guarantee you that with this change making the highest level drops (65 to date) worth the most gold you will see more people taking their chars to level cap usin plat elixirs. Plat elixirs=the real money makers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pandamoni For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    378 Posts

Economy will be destroyed, PL why u gotta change this up, everyone was happy the way it was

The only zone this would be logical for is FH, noobs need that encouragement of new gear each lvl even if theres a 10 in the party

Its disappointing to see this happen further worsening the economy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    I think once we stop looking at this as OUR game and look at it as a money maker for the devs we will be able to better understand many of the decisions. Yes, many people spend plat gearing out twinks but I can guarantee you that with this change making the highest level drops (65 to date) worth the most gold you will see more people taking their chars to level cap usin plat elixirs. Plat elixirs=the real money makers.
    That's right Pandie. Read post #41 in this thread.

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

I like your idea. It is also fine to have it this way. I can get gear I need easier instead of getting level 65 stuff. This also encourages more people to level. Twinks also can be used to farm still and with the same gear. I don't see any problem.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Plat elixirs=the real money makers.
    I haven't spent much on plat elixirs. But have spent a ton on those darn gambling packs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Lol oops! I wasn't trying to steal what u said I just hadn't read all the responses.

I think it's harder for those of us who remember when player input could bring change. Now it's probably only worth posting on forums if we want to give two thumbs up or talk about the fun weekend we had or possibly even trash talking other guilds...you know, the typical fodder found here nowadays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Please correct me if I am reading you wrong, but this sounds like the wealthy players are displeased about losing their grip on the game's economy. I have always been in favor of a more equitable drop system. I'd favor anything that makes the outlandish prices in CS drop. What do people need all that gold for anyway? It's not like we're keeping score... or are we?

How does the elitist pseudo-economy we have in-game contribute to better game play? How does it spread the game? I think it doesn't. I think good gear should be attainable to all who make the effort. And I think the players who have been gouging the prices have nothing to complain about. They are rich enough already.

But I might be reading this wrong. Most of you are my friends, and you mostly know my leanings, so you probably aren't surprised to read my opinion. Tell me if I am misunderstanding. thanks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakespeare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewcapu View Post
    I haven't spent much on plat elixirs. But have spent a ton on those darn gambling packs!
    The problem here, Drew, is you play the game to play the game and for a love of mechanics, game play, etc. You enjoy all the facets of the game. Those gambling packs are fun because they are for your chars you have nurtured and come to almost care for in a sense (maybe I'm projecting a bit). You can play the game well. You don't need elixirs to play and actually like the challenge the game affords when you're not hopped up on 'roids. You are the exception, though, with potted players now being the norm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Please correct me if I am reading you wrong, but this sounds like the wealthy players are displeased about losing their grip on the game's economy. I have always been in favor of a more equitable drop system. I'd favor anything that makes the outlandish prices in CS drop. What do people need all that gold for anyway? It's not like we're keeping score... or are we?

How does the elitist pseudo-economy we have in-game contribute to better game play? How does it spread the game? I think it doesn't. I think good gear should be attainable to all who make the effort. And I think the players who have been gouging the prices have nothing to complain about. They are rich enough already.

But I might be reading this wrong. Most of you are my friends, and you mostly know my leanings, so you probably aren't surprised to read my opinion. Tell me if I am misunderstanding. thanks
    I am pretty poor and really don't merchant but there are times where I've farmed low level items w farming groups because it's fun and if I'm going to spend time farming I really enjoy the lower levels the most.

I am upset with this change because the prices on end game gear are already out of control and I just see this exacerbating the problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

While this is very true, I'm also getting the message that they're disappointed because scaled farming was something unique and required actual mechanics to do. Now, this change basically removed that mechanic. I don't consider the economy or such as a major factor in these changes, after all, like you said, it's just gold. But seems like they're running out of things to do other than the long tedious grind at 65-66. No more niches.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellyidol For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    506 Posts

You're misunderstanding. Read my post #36 in this thread and drews post #38 and you'll see how this is going to result in end game gear being even more expensive than it is now and more unattainable for the "non-elitist player". Btw, I'm displeased about this and have 400k gold on all my toons so I'm not wealthy or elitist. Of course, you just like to argue so if everyone was commenting on how much in favor of this they are then you would be the one complaining about it.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Tell me if I am misunderstanding. thanks
    I don't think you're necessarily misunderstanding.

We have yet to see the full effects of this change in PL.

In the other thread, Glut and I tried to brainstorm all the possible ramifications.

There's definitely an economic result, but ultimately, I don't think it's the wealthy that will complain. In fact, I think the wealthy will continue to be wealthier and pull further away from those who aren't wealthy. Part of the beauty of scaled pinks used to be that someone new to the game had a chance of looting something pretty darn valuable as they were leveling up. That won't be the case anymore. Basically, end game gear at level cap levels will be all that will be "worth a lot" since it'll be the more difficult gear to obtain.

I've stated I can live with this change even if I don't like it. I'm just preparing for using that mute button a lot more often now when people starting out are begging more because they can't make any money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to drewcapu For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

@ robert You know me too well. LOL!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Snakespeare For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

As one who benefits from only occasional farming, I will still defend this pseudo-economy of PL. I LIKE the idea of special gear that is hard to obtain. It is rare and special and I like to wear it on at least one of my characters, if possible. I don't mind if the price is inflated. That makes it all the more rare and special for those who benefit from the drop, purchase, or sale.

If I can't afford the gear that I want then it's time to pull out my farming characters and get to work earning gold! I LIKE to have goals like this in PL and I suspect most others do as well. Maybe our goals are different but achieving success in the PL economy is a huge goal for many. There are so many aspects to this game, beside achieving level cap, that have made it a success: completing quests (too few of them, however), crafting gear, and earning gold to name a few. I know there are many economic minded people who LOVE to work the PL economy and kudos to them. It is fun for them and I wish them all the success because they put much time into their farming and selling. Buy low; sell high!

PL is my first MMO-RPG so I will be the first to admit to a lack of knowledge about these types of games, but isn't "twinking" or obtaining the best gear a large part of most of these types of games?? I hate to see this integral part of the gaming fun go by the wayside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Good. The economy in PL has too much cash in already. Take it down.

Now all that is needed is a gold drain.