Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Some sort of stat conversion or balance?

1.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #21
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,530 Posts

How about 'Attribute-based skill scaling?' Is that clearer?

-ALS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

And it was originally hoped to be released a month ago, but it could be another month or two before it is implemented, whatever it is. No doubt they have tried a few different ways and can't get it to work out. Maybe G was talking about their goal, which is that it not make anyone weaker, but make some stronger, and he was giving assurances that this was their intent. But since it doesn't exist, all they can know is their intent.

I have never once felt any deception from any one of these guys. So I trust that it is miscommunication.

Oops... Post typed before I read asommers...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Will the attribute cause the skill to scale, or will the level cause it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by asommers View Post
    How about 'Attribute-based skill scaling?' Is that clearer?

-ALS
    Not particularly, since it is not scaling with any particular attribute, but just with level (or combined attributes since that correlates directly with level). If skills scale with level why try to say they are scaling with attributes. Sure attributes scale with level but it's like attributes and skills will both scale with level. Trying to call it stat-driven or attribute-based in any way is misleading IMO. I don't really care so much what it is called now that I know what it is, but I think saying skills will scale with level or even with XP is much less convoluted and more clear than trying to connect them to attributes.

In fact, if a level 45 player who had never distributed their attribute points (still had 7, 2, 1 in other words) would have more powerful skills than a level one with those same attributes, than calling it attribute-based in any way is a complete misnomer.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ow... my head head hurts, no more reading this thread for me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the impression that it was scaled like weapon damage, which is by base attributes (or stats, whatever you wanna call em) not level, forget the fact that attribute points = levels, weapon damage doesn't feed off of level directly.

If this is truly level based, then I'd hope it would be released at the same time as an updated health/mana system, otherwise skills will decimate at higher levels. If this is infact the case, I think it's a waste of time increasing damage across the board, balance is a bigger issue and making definitive differences between hybrid and pure skills (mainly the enchantress)

Better skill scaling is something still needed though, but with only 5 levels in each skill it's hard to do. What I envision is something like a 10 level skill cap but 2 skill points per level. Skills would max out higher than they currently do, but as skill level increased so would mana cost, preventing powerful skills on characters of too low a level.

Whether skills are scaled this way, by level or attributes, some form of health & mana per level system is needed, as skill damage is set to increase, for some if not all classes.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Not particularly, since it is not scaling with any particular attribute, but just with level (or combined attributes since that correlates directly with level). If skills scale with level why try to say they are scaling with attributes. Sure attributes scale with level but it's like attributes and skills will both scale with level. Trying to call it stat-driven or attribute-based in any way is misleading IMO. I don't really care so much what it is called now that I know what it is, but I think saying skills will scale with level or even with XP is much less convoluted and more clear than trying to connect them to attributes.

In fact, if a level 45 player who had never distributed their attribute points (still had 7, 2, 1 in other words) would have more powerful skills than a level one with those same attributes, than calling it attribute-based in any way is a complete misnomer.
    From what I have read from the Devs your skills would be scalled based on your expected primary attribute. So a point in Strength would increase skills for a warrior, a point in Dex would increase skills for an Archer and a point in Intelligence would increase skills for a Mage. Devs, please confirm if this is correct. Oh, and also please remove the turn to shoot spasm.

source of information, a comment from the Pocket Legends Facebook page under the topic July Roadmap:
    Pocket Legends: Max, it is a way to address the perceived imbalance of pures vs. hybrids. Essentially your stats will affect how much damage your skills do (as opposed to how it is now, only rank affects the damage). So an INT Mage would cast more powerful spells than bow-mage.
    Last edited by FluffNStuff; 08-07-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: source

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FluffNStuff View Post
    From what I have read from the Devs your skills would be scalled based on your expected primary attribute. So a point in Strength would increase skills for a warrior, a point in Dex would increase skills for an Archer and a point in Intelligence would increase skills for a Mage. Devs, please confirm if this is correct. Oh, and also please remove the turn to shoot spasm.

source of information, a comment from the Pocket Legends Facebook page under the topic July Roadmap:
    Wait, that's what I thought it was But I thought Futumsh contradicted that. Did I misunderstand?
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601

9.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #29
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,906 Posts

The higher ranks will likely scale with both level and attributes. The lower ranks will likely be very similar to the existing ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Futumsh View Post
    The higher ranks will likely scale with both level and attributes. The lower ranks will likely be very similar to the existing ones.
    Okay I did misunderstand. It sounds like you guys are still working out how it will work exactly. Thanks for the clarification and additional detail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't get any of this lol!

My brain is too weak to handle this much use of vocabulary. Please explain! Kthxbai.
    List of Insults! Found by me.
    THIS IS!!!!!!!.....sparta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Futumsh View Post
    If the skill scaled to level or attribute, whichever is higher, then it might work. That would mean the Warrior's Stomp, for instance, would be scaled to his Str, but the Bowmage's would be scaled to level, unless he spent more points on Str.

Something like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    If the skill scaled to level or attribute, whichever is higher, then it might work. That would mean the Warrior's Stomp, for instance, would be scaled to his Str, but the Bowmage's would be scaled to level, unless he spent more points on Str.

Something like that?
    From what I've heard so far, skills will scale with level & attribute, so while a STR mage would get a boost from level bonus, an INT mage would gain a level bonus and an attribute bonus.