Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Official Stat-Driven Skills Feedback Thread for 1.4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bentmer View Post
    ... I think they're suggesting (and I agree 100%) that each class gain more benefits from their primary stat than from a secondary stat. ...
    I know what you mean, and I agree with what your suggestions. My point is that all avian skills, for example, shouldn't have to be improved only through DEX. That effectively kills any optimal hybrid avian builds (anyone can argue with this statement, but you know what I'm saying).

But let's say for example, STR improves Avian Scream range, or INT improves Restore's/Meditation's healing rate. This way, you controlled Birds' primary stat benefits (i.e. pure builds will get better Blast Shot, which was meant to be a "primary" skill of birds), while also giving hybrids some sort of bonus. Also, people might start considering spreading their stats around STR, DEX, and INT, depending on which of their skills they want to focus on.
    --------------- Alterra --------------------
    Neurion (archer)
    Erurainon (warrior)
    Neuraina (enchantress)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

So here's my assessment of how all the classes have been affected by the stat-driven skills update.

Bird:
    Dex - Now the overall strongest class in the game, they have had the greatest benefit from the stat-driven skills change since they need not sacrifice anything to max their primary attribute.
    Str - Slightly improved due to secondary Dex, but overall a less appealing alternative to dex bird since the update strengthened them so much more.
    Int - I don't have one of these, so can't really say, but my impression is they are basically in the same boat as Str-birds; slightly strengthened but weaker relative to the pure dex bird.

Bear:
    Dex - Slightly improved, but not by much. Sort of up in the air to me whether it's even worth sacrificing Dex to put Str on these guys.
    Str - Significantly improved (second biggest improvement tied with pure mages).
    Int - Not improved at all. Primary Int does little but allow Int weapons to be equipped, and they need secondary dex to be effective so there is no room for Str to take advantage of the stat-driven skills.

Elves:
    Dex - Slightly improved maybe, though honestly I'm still thinking it's best to go pure Dex with these guys, in which case they have not changed at all.
    Str - No change. They need secondary Dex to be effective, so there is no room for Int to take advantage of the Stat-driven skills.
    Int - Improved significantly, though Int doesn't do enough that you won't still need secondary Dex.

Overall, as I have said before, the main issue with the new stat-driven skills is the imbalance of the attributes. Str and Int are totally underpowered, and not needed for any reason other than to equip gear. So birds have the advantage in that every build needs Dex to be effective, and they get the additional stat-driven skill bonus from it. Non-bird hybrids are least helped by stat driven skills since they must use a non-standard primary attribute to equip gear, and then build dex. Dex bears and dex mages could potentially put some secondary points into their skill-driving stat, but with the benefits of Int and Str being so much less than that benefits of Dex, I don't see much reason for them to do so, particularly since the bonus through stat-driven skills of a secondary attribute is pretty minor. Basically I think the imbalanced attributes need to be fixed badly. Tweaking of stat driven skills could certainly make them better, but they will never achieve balance as long as everybody needs Dex, and nobody needs Int or Str except to meet gear requirements, which is the current situation. My suggestion for how to remedy the imbalanced attributes can be found here
    Last edited by Royce; 09-04-2010 at 11:51 AM.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neurion View Post
    I know what you mean, and I agree with what your suggestions. My point is that all avian skills, for example, shouldn't have to be improved only through DEX. That effectively kills any optimal hybrid avian builds (anyone can argue with this statement, but you know what I'm saying).

But let's say for example, STR improves Avian Scream range, or INT improves Restore's/Meditation's healing rate. This way, you controlled Birds' primary stat benefits (i.e. pure builds will get better Blast Shot, which was meant to be a "primary" skill of birds), while also giving hybrids some sort of bonus. Also, people might start considering spreading their stats around STR, DEX, and INT, depending on which of their skills they want to focus on.
    I think we are saying the same thing only with different suggestions. I suggested they implement skill trees for each class where the new skills would get benefits from secondary stats. One skill tree would be the 'pure' tree and they would incorporate most of the existing skills that are buffed by the primary stat of each class.

I think you are suggesting that existing skills get benefits from secondary stats. My question is why would you want to? The skills, for the most part, are geared towards a different play style than yours. Maybe as a stopgap fix perhaps.

I totally agree with Royce, before we talk about buffing hybrids, we need to level the playing field regarding stat benefits. Right now the only spec that can have their cake and eat it too are the pure dex builds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*Epic Battle* Narwal VS Unicorns
    Who Shall Prevail?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Interesting summary. I re-spec'd my Int Bear on the assumption that extra stat points should now go to Str to enhance his skills, as opposed to Dex. Well, I picked up a few hit points of damage at best. They seem to add in from 10% to 25% of your related STAT to create the new base damage. That usually comes to a number between 3 and 10. So, where you were doing 60 DPS, you are now doing 65 DPS. 5 points of damage. Taking those points away from Dex was a mistake! I would rather be more likely to hit than do a couple more points of damage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 free re-specs!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Int bear Hybrid
    I used free restats and 2 of my own. Trying several different setups. Every combo if Lv45 mage gear you can dream up. I still have not been able to compete with the pure n PvP. I have no care how many points do what % boost if I cant beat another good player.
    What has been done here is you nuked the fun out of any player who doesnt want tobe stuck in 1 of 3 play styles. Come to PvP and what you see is all the bear with same equip, mage with the same, birds same. All having the same setup. Cookie cut copies with nothing unique or special about any of them.
    Now in order have a chance to play, Im forced to go back to Str. I grew 1-45 as Str. it was in no way as fun or exciting as Int Bear.
    switch it back please, nothing balanced bout any of this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoShaan View Post
    What has been done here is you nuked the fun out of any player who doesnt want tobe stuck in 1 of 3 play styles. Come to PvP and what you see is all the bear with same equip, mage with the same, birds same. All having the same setup. Cookie cut copies with nothing unique or special about any of them.
    How is this any different from the previous situation where PvP just consisted of paladins, bowbears, and maybe a few int bears and archers, all using the same gear? This is as balanced as the classes have ever been IMO. Now if only overpowered Dex could be fixed...
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My setup is now weaker, meaning its not at all balanced. Why couldn't they allow everybody regardless of play style be a viable option in pvp? Your right about the Dex though, speed and range are unmatched.