Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Warrior Tanking 123 with explanations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalite View Post
    I know I'm a bit late replying to this post (dated before xmas), but I'm interested in the 190dmg bit. Did you mean 190dps instead? If not, mind sharing how that can be achieved? Coz I play a mage too hehe. Thanks in advance

On another note, as a warrior myself I would like to thank everyone who have kindly shared their builds here with the community. It's a great help to everyone!
    Ill check out his stats when I see him again. I'm pretty sure it was Dmg and not DPS because he's setting his toon for PvP!
    PL: Enisceloz: Level 76 (Warrior/Tank/Eni Express...Choo Choo!!!!)
    AL: Enisceloz: Level 26 (Warrior/Tank/Exterminator)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Enisceloz For This Useful Post:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Does anything other than an elite area even need a tank? I did the entire game solo with my rogue not counting elite areas...

That's why I suggest a tank build for elites... because elites are the only reason for having a tank...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Elite boss probably.
    Elite mobs?
    You can't be massively tanking mobs by using those skills attempting to clear them effectively.
    Staple skills of warrior for damage output is either SS or WM.

I have friends too bragging about how well their rogue can survive & tanky nowadays in current patch.
    In my opinion, to each class own advantage, class preference & own class section thread.

Balancing or improvements are releasing every lvl tier cap patch.
    I think its still too early to judge warrior class now.
    Anyway, non-elite maps isn't that tough for all 3 classes...
    Last edited by Kenoon; 01-01-2013 at 05:48 PM.
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.
    Guild Master of Singaporeans.
    Kenoon - Lv21 Tank Warrior.
    Hiddenleaf - Lv15 Pure Dex Ranger

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Yes... elite mobs are easy to maintain aggro on with my build. Juggernaut taunts everything within 8 meters a total of 6 times over 15 seconds. This keeps aggro on everything by itself on packs as long as your group does target prioritization.

You keep going back to damage staples, but the entire concept of a tank isn't to deal damage. If you want to be a mediocre damage dealer that can act as a mediocre tank, then go for it.

Most things don't need a true tank, but if content is released that requires a real tank, damage isn't worth targeting for tanks. A tank has two functions by definition in any MMO... soak damage and maintain aggro. Perhaps I'm a purist, but I'm not putting points into something that doesn't directly fit those two primary objectives when there is an option to select something that does directly impact those primary areas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Hey hey I'm not being a mediocre tank lol. I'm doing just fine with one taunt (HoR) and enjoying bashing enemies with my WM and SS. Rogues and Sorcerers on boss want to steal my aggro by skill spamming let them go ahead I don't care. On Elite runs I usually run with my friends who know damn well that they are not going to aggro the entire mob, so they let me handle that (all you need is one AOE taunt) while they take care of single enemies.

Again everyone is trying to sell their build here and we forgetting the main point! IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO IS IN YOUR PARTY AND HOW WELL THEY PLAY THEIR CLASS IN RELATION TO THE OTHERS IN THE PARTY! Picking a build for a Warrior is all based on TASTE! That is why I love AL, it allows one to be versatile in their play style while maintaining a great degree of effectiveness. If you like to really concentrate most of your runs on beating bosses quick (DEPENDING on your Rogues and Sorcerers) and taking tons of damage and not dealing any back go with Ugg. If you like being effective in Elite Maps and clear them with good time (again depending on your party) go with Kenoon or my build (which I feel is geared for everything and not specializing in one area).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

DISREGARD!

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along...

*hides*
    Last edited by Wizard_Mike; 01-01-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Temporary stupidity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Mike View Post
    You mentioned earlier in this thread how Ugg's build was very team dependent, and now you explain how yours is just as dependent on the right team. So if both are dependent on having the right team, then that isn't a selling point for either one.

What WOULD be a selling point would be a build that is not dependent on having the right team. A build that can tank for any group makeup, with players of any skill level. The fact that Ugg's build does not rely on threat accumulation, as you so stated, means that it can actually accommodate any type of group, because it doesn't rely on the rest of the team to follow specific rules or strategies. Even the worste team, in which the DPSers constantly pull aggro, can be managed with the 4-taunt build. You clearly state that your build relies on a good team. So I think you are kind of making Ugg's case for him.
    First of all you quoted me wrong on the first quote, I didn't write that lol. But to elaborate just a little more:

Dependent on a team to reach their true potential/intention (don't see why I need to get more into specifics with this). And all builds are team dependent (Warrior, Sorcerer, Rogue, it is a team game afterall). I'm not making a case for no one actually. I respect each build just as long as you know how to utilize it to its the best. And yeah I agree with you Uggs will keep everyone safe even if the rest don't know what the hell their doing. But like Kenoon said earlier it's not going to get you fast runs (specially Elite) and if his teammates aren't killing quick he's racking up that pot count!
    Last edited by Enisceloz; 01-01-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spidah View Post
    First of all you quoted me wrong on the first quote, I didn't write that lol.
    Oh boy, not only did I mix that up, I mixed up the threads. I was thinking this was in the Ugg's build thread, not Kenoon's thread. That's why I thought the post I quoted wad you, lol. So yeah, disregard my post, because it was entirely based on the fact that I (mistakenly) thought you were contradicting yourself, lol.

ABORT!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Mike View Post
    Oh boy, not only did I mix that up, I mixed up the threads. I was thinking this was in the Ugg's build thread, not Kenoon's thread. That's why I thought the post I quoted wad you, lol. So yeah, disregard my post, because it was entirely based on the fact that I (mistakenly) thought you were contradicting yourself, lol.

ABORT!!!
    Hehehe no problem bro, it happens!

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Eni... your build is definitely more versatile... No question about it. And in most cases you will be able to tank with ease, especially with random PUGs that don't have the top gear you do.

I only say mediocre tank because a build with 1 taunt simply can't hold aggro the way the 4 taunt build can. If you and I ran together, just us, I'd hold aggro pretty much the entire time.

From a pure tanking standpoint, that is the core goal. Take all the damage for the group and don't die.

I will say that your build is definitely a good build and you play the class well (we wouldn't be friends if we didn't think that way about each other). However, it's not really a tank build. It's a warrior build.

In WoW for example, not all warriors or paladins are tanks. Based on gear and spec, many can be more classified as medium dps with higher than average survivability. They can off tank some things and even some of the non end game bosses. However, when compared to a pure tank they can't fill that role efficiently.

If you just like playing quickly and do a lot of PUGs or play with other warriors, definitely go with a build like Ken or Eni. It is definitely a jack of all trades type of warrior build. However, from a standpoint of pure tanking ability with a party of high dps players, my build is going to result in faster clears, less pots used, and less party deaths. Also less damage taken by the rest of the party.

It isn't as fun to play with if you like aggressively charging in and killing stuff, but if you enjoy the concept of tanking and have the same philosophy as me regarding what a tank should do (soak damage and keep aggro at all costs) then my build will win every time.

Just be prepared to change your play style and learn how to effectively use the build, because it definitely requires skill to use it effectively. A damage based warrior build with only HoR has room for error since aoe damage can maintain a decent amount of aggro. However, my build leaves very little room for error as an ill timed crit streak from a rogue can lead to a problem if taunt cooldowns aren't managed properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
    Eni... your build is definitely more versatile... No question about it. And in most cases you will be able to tank with ease, especially with random PUGs that don't have the top gear you do.

I only say mediocre tank because a build with 1 taunt simply can't hold aggro the way the 4 taunt build can. If you and I ran together, just us, I'd hold aggro pretty much the entire time.

From a pure tanking standpoint, that is the core goal. Take all the damage for the group and don't die.

I will say that your build is definitely a good build and you play the class well (we wouldn't be friends if we didn't think that way about each other). However, it's not really a tank build. It's a warrior build.

In WoW for example, not all warriors or paladins are tanks. Based on gear and spec, many can be more classified as medium dps with higher than average survivability. They can off tank some things and even some of the non end game bosses. However, when compared to a pure tank they can't fill that role efficiently.

If you just like playing quickly and do a lot of PUGs or play with other warriors, definitely go with a build like Ken or Eni. It is definitely a jack of all trades type of warrior build. However, from a standpoint of pure tanking ability with a party of high dps players, my build is going to result in faster clears, less pots used, and less party deaths. Also less damage taken by the rest of the party.

It isn't as fun to play with if you like aggressively charging in and killing stuff, but if you enjoy the concept of tanking and have the same philosophy as me regarding what a tank should do (soak damage and keep aggro at all costs) then my build will win every time.

Just be prepared to change your play style and learn how to effectively use the build, because it definitely requires skill to use it effectively. A damage based warrior build with only HoR has room for error since aoe damage can maintain a decent amount of aggro. However, my build leaves very little room for error as an ill timed crit streak from a rogue can lead to a problem if taunt cooldowns aren't managed properly.
    What's funny bro is I usually run with very good and very high Dmg/DPS Rogues and Sorcerers and I still find myself soaking a lot of damage (when fighting mobs specially in Elite). Remember only HoR and Jugg have an AoE taunt (for those that don't know, it means it taunts everyone withing a certain perimeter depending on how you upgrade that particular skill. Just writing this for those who don't know) and HoR has a way shorter cool down than Jugg, meaning if one of my party members for some reason takes aggro on more than one enemy I can get it back while they take down whoever they are targeting (Elite mobs) and usually the cool down is short enough that if they are all near me, I can give them the shield buff and the healing buff, saving the day. So I believe I have less room for error when it comes to skill cycling. Since you have both AoE taunt skills and don't have to worry about loosing aggro from a mob. Actually I been meaning to ask you, what is your skill cycle with your build?

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

I'll post my skill cycle in my build thread since it's relevant to anyone reading that thread.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Reggin For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

This game is pretty simple to play compared to other MMORPG.
    I used to play WoW for few years previously too.
    Main is Paladin tank and Warrior Off-tank.

I know what is the role of a tank and what to do in a raid party too.
    As i mentioned in Reggin's thread, his tank build is meant for maxed lvl cap elite boss.
    His role is a pure tanker.

For rest of the tanking builds around, each have its own characteristic.
    Some builds are meant for mobbing.
    Some are for crowd control and etc.

Ultimately is still up to individual preference and playing style.
    Some may find Build ABC is working good for him/her.
    Others may find Build XYZ is working better for them.
    Some may like softcore whereas some like hardcore *j/k*

I don't really go around all different posts to hard sell about how well my build is,
    since this game is still new and still have many rooms for improvement.
    Who knows in future Juggernaut might be replaced with a new taunt skill like Rogue in current patch.
    Thus i am open with new idea.
    Last edited by Kenoon; 01-02-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Elite Boss Tank Build: Using affordable & cheap gears to deliver low pot tanking.

Introduction:
    This build is meant for every late game max level cap and used solely for Boss tanking purpose.
    Using high dex gears and Rally cry, i blended in more options to make it feasible for taunting.
    This build can be further converted in a Mass Mobbing leveling build by replacing Axe Throw with Skyward Smash or Windmill for faster leveling. With the extra 1~2 skill point, add it to Chest Splitter Area of effect skill which explodes after killing a mob. The 2nd skill point can be added to enable the knockback effect as you do mass mobbing for better survivality.

Test on Day 1: (Refer to next post for finalised result)

I am now testing my new tanking build that rely on Rally Cry for greater dodging while maintaining aggro.
    Most likely to learn Agility as passive skill.

Total potential dodge rate:
    23.86% from gears + 25dex passive + 25% dodge from Rally Cry
    = 48.86%% + 25dex passive.

Below are two of the gears setup before adding Agility.

Ideal Gear setup ignoring health if build tested to work:

My current setup with some Str gears:
    Last edited by Kenoon; 01-06-2013 at 02:24 AM.
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

** It seems that the 50% buff bonus from Rally Cry does not boost up the 25% dodge rate on character screen.
    I tried several times but unfortunately it doesn't work.
    Not sure if this is a bug though or maybe it just affect the initial skill effect which is the dmg reduction.

Ok this is a pic of my warrior after respec to full dex.
    Dodge rate i managed to hit 54.51% and i get hit at lesser rate.
    Apparently, it isn't that amazing due to low health.

And thus, i went back to Full str stats and Might passive this time round.

This is with buff and dex accessories:

This is with buff and high str low dex and dodge accessories:

Conclusion:
    Tested multiple times to work effectively in Jarl map and Elite mob maps.
    The warrior is able to survive against many Elite mobs with the right skills rotation.
    The mobs nearby Jarl no longer hit me that easily and i never use hp pot as though i'm at Lv16.

The downside for using this dodge pet is that we have no mana regen and thus rely on mana pot.
    A swap on Esteban pet would solve this issue.
    I am using Granite as pet at the moment which solves my mana issue and yet provides me with dodge rate %. Granite's active skill is AOE stun which helps me to buy some time for tanking.
    The cooldown for its skill is pretty fast.

Skills i used:
    Chest Splitter with interrupt skill
    Axe Throw with all skills including stun
    Rally Cry all skills except the 4th which increases movement speed
    Horn of Renew all skills except for the increase range.
    5 skill points to Might Passive.
    All stat points are added to Str. Dex isn't really that feasible in this case.

Skills rotation:
    Charge & release CS for first attack.
    Activate RC & Pet skill. (chance to stun)
    Charge & release AT for debuff on boss. (chance to stun)
    Start spamming normal attack.
    Execute CS every 4 sec.
    Normal attack & execute AT for immediate taunt if boss is being aggro-ed by team mate. (chance to stun)
    Spam Pet skill whenever available. (chance to stun)
    If AT is under cooldown, charge & release HoR (2sec shield + heal) or RC (+25% dodge to allies).
    This will buy you time until AT is available under its 7sec cooldown for you to taunt boss again.

My style of gameplay in this case would be more relaxing & flexible.
    I do not require to pin my full focus to keep taunting boss back to me whenever i lose aggro.
    Rally Cry is more party friendly and thus allows me to buy time to taunt boss back using AT.
    Enjoy!

Total Gold Spent:
    Surprisingly low cost.
    Won't even cost you more than 50k to make one.
    Good for new warriors wannabe.

16/01/2013
    **PS: As of recent patch, Protector series Sword & Shield becomes available.
    I would recommend to use Protector of Grace for the dex and dodge rate %.

Also after some revision, i would say it is feasible to use the skills below for mp issue:

=[Finalised Taunt Warrior Build ]=

Elite Boss Taunting Build
    Axe Throw (learn #1 armor reduction, #2 Stun, #4 Chain Bait)
    Vengeful Blood (learn #3 increase duration, #4 for boosted Strength)
    Rally Call (learn all except the movement buff #4 skill)
    Horn of Renew (learn everything except increase range)
    5 skill points to Might passive. (Perfectionist may go 5 pts to Dex passive)
    *** Damage and critical rate % is not important here since we don't need damage.

Leveling Build (Choose either Skyward or Windmill as your main leveling skill)
    Skyward Smash or Windmill (learn range, damage and stun for Skyward. learn range, damage and duration for windmill)
    Vengeful Blood (learn everything)
    Rally Call (learn all except for #1 additional effect and movement buff #4 skill)
    Horn of Renew (learn everything except increase range)
    5 skill points to Might passive. (Perfectionist may go 5 pts to Dex passive)
    *** Beneficial effect isn't important here since your dodge rate is already very high.

Axe throw cooldown is 7seconds which is sufficient enough to buy time for taunting boss.
    Vengeful blood gives Str, Damage, Health, Critical rate & MP regeneration.
    Rally Call gives bonus to dodge rate for full party.
    Horn of Renew gives friendly protective buff to party and mass healing.

RC and HoR is pretty much enough to buy extra time to allow AT to do skill rotation.
    Purpose of your role would be taunting elite boss throughout the game and give friendly buffs to team.

Scenario:
    You kick off with Axe Throw to Taunt the boss.
    Boss starts to attack you.
    Your team dps rogue causes Boss to turn his position to her.
    You cast Horn of Renew to give party a 2sec invincible shield and healing for few seconds.
    Boss turns back to you as your Horn of Renew was Charged which activates the taunt.
    While HoR is still healing you, charge up and release Rally Cry.
    *Boss misses you while you are 'tanking'*
    Team dps rogue causes Boss to turn his position to her again.
    You cast Axe Throw to taunt boss back.
    Dps rogue causes Boss to turn his position to her once again.
    You charged up and release Rally Cry together activating Malison's active skill.
    Total dodge bonus for party = 25+15 = +40% dodge for all teammates in range.

This build may seems to be a troll build, but the ease of usage and feasibility is better than any tanking build as of now, moreover disgustingly cheap for the gears purchase.
    And with the revised build, you can use any pet within your affordability.
    For the richer players, they will go for Malison since it gives boosted stats and party friendly 15% dodge buff which suits this build even more.
    For solo-ing, Estaben would give you a fixed 10% dodge rate is which much safer.
    Last edited by Kenoon; 01-16-2013 at 01:47 AM.
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Bring up my post.v
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

with the new legendary chest items I have more HP and dodge, but mana is a problem..have less than 150.

dodge reaches 50.5% and close to 3k HP

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Taxxor For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Name:  tank.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  83.9 KB
    heres my warrior. focuses solely on tanking alone. taunts and heals no attack skills. works well with my guildmates and everyone is happy having to consume less pots lol
    add me in game if you want to play with me

Arcane Legends IGN: jomszyn my guess is 111

23. The Following User Says Thank You to beargasm For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beargasm View Post
    Name:  tank.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  83.9 KB
    heres my warrior. focuses solely on tanking alone. taunts and heals no attack skills. works well with my guildmates and everyone is happy having to consume less pots lol
    add me in game if you want to play with me

Quote Originally Posted by beargasm View Post
    its just for tanking. i already have my pvp skills sorted. but for the purpose of less pots consumption for chest hunting i changed skills to HoR/VB/Jugg/rally cry. so yea its just basically buffs heals and taunts and dmg redux
    Yep, workable.
    I would say the purpose of Vengeful blood in your build is just meant for mp regeneration.
    Other than that with dodge gears, the bonus from VB is redundant.

But, on the otherhand, we can tweak abit to make this tanking build even more flexible.
    I would prefer AT, VB, RC, HoR and this setup is more useful and spammable since Axe throw cooldown is 7secs.
    This will allow us to use any pets in-game that we like.
    OneAxeHole @ MapleSEA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenoon View Post
    Yep, workable.
    I would say the purpose of Vengeful blood in your build is just meant for mp regeneration.
    Other than that with dodge gears, the bonus from VB is redundant.

But, on the otherhand, we can tweak abit to make this tanking build even more flexible.
    I would prefer AT, VB, RC, HoR and this setup is more useful and spammable since Axe throw cooldown is 7secs.
    This will allow us to use any pets in-game that we like.
    yup had AT instead of jugg before and AT does seem better. hoping for another free skill reset though when pvp arrives haha dont want to spend $$ atm. thanks for the feedback

Arcane Legends IGN: jomszyn my guess is 111