Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dex mage vs int mage? Feedback wanted

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Default Dex mage vs int mage? Feedback wanted

I've been seeing more and more people choose either melee mages or dex-mages. Right now, I've got two builds:

- A level 50 pure dex bird
    - A level 30 pure int mage, which I am thinking about respecing

I've been noticing something - I really don't like being the mage that kind of stays back to heal, I prefer attacking at a distance (which was why my first character was bird). More than a few times, I have found myself unable to resist the instinct to aggro, which often had fatal results, because the mage's range is so short and kiting is not effective. I've been thinking, for maximum damage output to the enemy (in both PVE and PVP), is dex-mage better than int mage? Also, what is the best distribution of skills for dex mage?

I was in favour of going pure dex at one point for maximum damage, but now I'm thinking about putting more in int so that spells can recharge.

- Is there a penalty when you spellcast if you go pure dex? (ex: fireblast, lightning, drain life, etc., heal). Obviously more potions will be needed as mana recharge slows, but I would like to know damage output.
    - How has damage output been (please answer if you have respeced from int mage or strength mage to dex mage)?
    - What did you configure your skill set at level 50?

Thanks in advance.

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

for pve, you'd want to review the dual dex/int mage and pure int:

pure int has compared to dex/int:
    •more mana
    •more potent spells (you heal more, and damaging spells hit harder)
    •less base damage and dps
    •less hit rate and crits (though the difference isn't to severe in pve, consider this in pvp)

The similarilties between the two:
    •same armor used, so relatively same low armor
    •high mana regen (review my H/s & M/s guide to see how the difference your stats affect regen rates)

You could also do (if this is what you were talking about to begin with) dex-geared dex/int mage or full dex mage:
    •dex equips typically have higher base damage and dps
    •dex armor is slightly more durable than int armor
    •dex gear does NOT provide as much M/s (in some cases H/s as well) as int gear tends to.
    •crits are more likey to occur when using dex weapons and gear.
    •FULL DEX has very low regen and very low skill strength, but higher base damage and kiting ability in comparison to dex/int (using dex gear).

Now in accordance to your playstyle i recommend a dual mage (dex/int w/ dex gear). You say you like kiting and you want your skills to be more productive (or destructive o.o). This build sounds right for you. You have high dps for mage standards, and the extra int will allow your spells to be a bigger help in pvp. As far as pve goes, you are one of the most dangerous toons. Your damage output is spread for quick singular kills, while any mobs near are hit HARD (usually one good shot takes out the stragglers). Bosses may still be trouble if you don't kite them. The main downside is you're fragile. Low health with somewhat adequate armor means opposing birds could pose a threat, and dex bears are dangerous.

As far as level 50 configuration goes, I'm unsure and therefore will not waste your time guessing. Someone jump in pls

Zerious
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Thanks for your detailed response.

Does having more int significantly increase the damage of your spells? I've tried respecing from pure int to pure dex just for the heck of it. According to the spells, damage output has not been adversely affected according to the damage numbers (they usually give a range), although I'm burning mana much more often. My use of mana potions has increased by about double. I'm going to experiment a bit and see.

The next question then becomes - what is the best dex to int ratio? There's pure dex or 180 dex/the rest (I think about 85 or so) int. That's good enough to use all the best dex gear.

Either way, I can see that this config is staying at the rear. If anything, it may even be more vulnerable than pure int. At least pure int had a good mana shield to fall back on. Although dex gear provides better protection, both the health and mana regen seem wanting.

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

The dex mage has kinda become less an option since 1.5 . Before that, Dex would add more to skill damage then int, but now Int is the clear winner. Combine that with the keepers staff and you are putting out some serious AOE damage. Another reason the Dex mage is less popular is Void used to have the most m/s, but that was also changed with 1.5.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

The only reason why I see someone going for a dex mage is to use the gun. For overall power, Int mages still top the charts. Survivability on both are low, but an int mage would be better when shielded / 2handed because of higher heal.

Right now, aside from shadow caves, you can afford to be the type that kills your enemy before they kill you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Strange.

I have found no changes to my damage output when I do move like fire blast or lightning after switching. The ranges that they give are still about the same I still do about 125-150 damage (I'm level 36 pure dex, armed with a level 30 ice auto-crossbow).

Observations:
    - I tend to be in the rear more often, so I die less
    - I tend to get more drops - the crossbow does more damage and more effectively than any wand
    - I think that I am levelling a bit faster than before
    - Mana shield is an ineffective means of protection now (stay in rear)
    - Health regen and mana regen are slower than before, although I stay in the rear.
    - Before I would seldom use mana potions, save when mana shield depleted my mana; I use them more often now
    - Health potion use, despite increased vulnerability is unchanged, as I stay in the rear, although I do sometimes charge into the middle, do fire blast, lightning, and ice blast, before quickly retreating (as I use to as a pure int)
    - Overall, I think that I am making cash faster too, becuase of the increased drops that more than compensate for increased mana use

I think that overall, the tradeoff is generally worth it, even for the increased vulnerability.

To others: If you think that pure int is too vulnerable and you choose pally, you will not like dex-mage; otherwise, I'd advice giving it a shot. Damage output is noticeably better and you get more drops. You still have all of your abilities, and apart from mana shield, I've noticed little change, save that you will use about double as many mana potions now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Define "get more drops". Do you mean the character is "Luckier"? If so, then I don't think it matters what kind of mage you are :P

Expected, the dex mage has really way less mana regen. As a pure int mage, I don't think you have to even use mana pots if you aren't using Mana Shield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried a dual spec int/str mage for a while as it seemed very popular, but I lately decided to try a hybrid st95/int158 mage. Quite good build really, improved survivability over pure int mage and damage from spells are also quite impressive and better than the dual spec mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
    I tried a dual spec int/str mage for a while as it seemed very popular, but I lately decided to try a hybrid st95/int158 mage. Quite good build really, improved survivability over pure int mage and damage from spells are also quite impressive and better than the dual spec mage.
    I'd go for that build too, if I wanted to stay as an int mage. But lately I've noticed, you can afford to go pure int if you know how to play and time your spells extremely well. There are some cases that I don't take HP damage at all or barely with the proper use of mana shield and timing of spells. Then again, if I do mess up, I go down pretty quick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Define "get more drops". Do you mean the character is "Luckier"? If so, then I don't think it matters what kind of mage you are :P
    As in, you receive more items randomly in PvE when killing low level enemies. I'm not too sure why that is myself. I think that its because the bow gets more kills than any wand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    As in, you receive more items randomly in PvE when killing low level enemies. I'm not too sure why that is myself. I think that its because the bow gets more kills than any wand.
    Ah. It shouldn't matter though. You kill it, he kills it, item still could go to anybody. Unless I've been GRAVELY misled all this time, that stands true I believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Ah. It shouldn't matter though. You kill it, he kills it, item still could go to anybody. Unless I've been GRAVELY misled all this time, that stands true I believe.
    I believe that often, the person that fires the killing shot tends to get the item (try the lorekeeper and snipers and beserkers in victory lap for real examples). I think that there is an exception to that rule when one person does the majority of the damage, in which case they get the items.

I'm still trying to figure out who gets the drops when a barrel is blown up. I believe though that it is the person who approached the barrel's explosive proximity first or the person who manages to blow up a barrel and does damage - in which case, it's 50/50 from experience. Everyone though nearby gets some money when the barrel blows.

Actual "luck" of getting a good drop is completely random and therefore cannot be changed, except with that elixir (which I consider a waste).

But getting back onto topic - what is the best ratio of int to dex for a PVP dexchantress? I've been thinking about going pure dex with my elf - not too sure about it being the optimal balance though.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 01-19-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Omg people, drops are random. A mob dies, anyone in range has an equal chance at a drop. Also Dex mages are pretty poor now. One big factor that doesn't seem to have been mentioned here is AOE damage. Many Mage staffs do AOE damage, multiplying your damage significantly. Another factor is weapon procs. Dex weapons rarely have procs until level 50, and talons generally have no proc at all. Mage weapons have traditionally had the best procs in the game (though the top level 50 wands are sadly proc free). Anyway, nothing compares to a pure Int Mage for damage output.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

It all depends on your playstyle.

My mage has been a dexchantress since I started playing PL. It has it's own pros and cons.
    I find them to have better survivability vs Staff Mages, and almost on par all around damage vs Doll Mages.
    But most of all, I chose to be a Dexchant since nobody wanted to play them before. Now PvP is plagued with them.

My best advice is NEVER to go pure dex if you want to build a Dexchant. You can figure out what spec works for you from there.
    Anybody can sacrifice a queen. The real trick is getting away with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Right now, I'm leaning in favor of maybe 160 dex, the rest going into int. The 160 should be enough to use any dex weapon or armor, while the rest will ensure a potent base damage for the spells.

@Royce:

I'm not sure that what you are saying is true - either for the drops nor for the pure int mage. Drops, I've seen enough to know that the person that fires the killing shot for Lesser Dijin and the lesser alien bosses (especially in victory lap) will often get the item.

Edit:
    I'm not sure about pure int vs dexchantress. Pure int will rule against crowds - I'd expect dexchantress to actually do better 1v1, not as good as bird, but approaching.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 01-19-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Drops are random. Get the first hit, get the last, hold your device at a 72 degree angle while chanting Justg's middle name backwards, it doesn't matter. I've been playing this game close to a year now, and have heard a zillion crazy theories on different things affecting drops, so far there is zero evidence to support any of it.
    Trust me I wish Dex mages were as good as they use to be. I have 7 mages (lol), so I will always keep at least one of each spec, but Dex is currently the worst of the bunch. At level 50 it's not bad, but still the weakest. Below level 50 there is no reason to go Dex with a mage IMO. You're just sacrificing too much skill damage. Carrying a powerful bow can really help, but you lose survivability and may as well just go int Mage with staff in that case. Your weapon can do AOE, your skill damage will be higher, and mage staffs (particularly dark ones) have some of the best procs in the game.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

oh i havent seen you in awhile, royce
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

Dex has lower defense by the way in armor there the same for some reason cause skill buffs and all
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been looking and building a Dextress and well I also have a pure INT...

Damage wise the pure does a hecka lot more damage nearly 50 and I'm just poking past 15 on both.
    Also I find I die less as a dextress because I start to sit back and let the range of the bow keep me alive.
    But even with the ability to stay alive i find I spend 2 or 3 times longer killing with my dextress because of damage so it kinda evens.
    I'm going through with my pure int because it is easier to kill with but I'm trying to use certain specials that will make it harder to master.
    I expect later though once I get to 50 on my pure int I will PL my dextress to see if it's damage evens or or if it's more fun.

I think if you like to stand still you should try out the dextress but if you kinda like to be in the action but still stay safe choose pure int.

Oh and if you go with a dextress I recommend putting all your skill points on Frost Bite. It is extremely helpful if something is chasing you so you can'
    freeze it and get your distance again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

FYI, I'm fairly certain staff range is the same as bow range, so you dont really gain a range advantage with dex. Wand range (like talon) is shorter.