Thread: level 50 Mage pvp. anybody kind enough to pm me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default level 50 Mage pvp. anybody kind enough to pm me?

so I been playing Mage lately and when I get bored I go pvp. the problem is I can't stay alive long enough to figure out how to get good at it. It seems I get combo killed soon as I'm within range. birds and mages just pwn me.. and I know I can do better but just can't figure out what I'm doing so wrong. I'm a dual spec build (str,int) but I don't think that's really the prob. int and str mages one hit kill me. there is some really good pvp'rs out there and would really like to at least give them a challenge. I know nobody wants to post there skills or secrets to being a bad**s in pvp so I'm hoping u guys can pm me some info. thx for the help guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    Ignore the haters.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I tested around bird vs mage. It is actually a VERY equal match if both are fully restored and buffed.

Mages have 1.) Ability to cast entire spellbook fast. 2.) Mana shield, basically 2 hp bars. 3.) high m/s to allow more spells to be casted after totally drained.

Birds have 1.) Ability to kill any player in under a second 2.) take town a mana shield 3.) long range.

Mages basically are paper weights in PvP without buffs. So what you do in that situation is you stick to your group, and basically don't try taking anyone directly on. You will be doing 80% of your PvP work while buffed.

Mage Vs. Mage is all to do with what spells you cast first, and how fast you cast. Mage Vs Mage you use all debuffs first, damage in the middle and heal last. I count drain life to be a debuff, just to help me remember my combo easier. I can beat all pure mages other than read, ghost, and I think like 1 more whos name I don't remember. So the combos very effective.

Mage Vs. Bird is all to do with how fast you cast and beating the bird before the bird beats you. I notice most birds do not damage right off the back. They cast spells like root, which have damage but not very much. That is your window of opportunity. Go with Frost --> Heal --> Fire Blast --> Drain Life --> Lightning --> weaken--> Nightmare --> Weakness.

That should kill them, only if you manage to cast your damage spells in that small window were they attempt to completely shatter your armor with buffs. Some birds have pretty unstoppable combos though. I helped King find a combo that literally obliterates a mage before the mage can even get into attack range to use a spell.

Mage Vs. Bear is pretty easy. Debuff, lightning, drain life, hot flash then rest of your spells however you want them. Only problem is no matter how perfect your combo is, some bears can survive. No biggie you will still beat them but they will likely drain your mana and leave you off gaurd for your next battle. Thats why you want to try and kill them before they even hit you. Some good PvP bears reduce your hit chance by 25% then have iron blood, taunt, and the other dodge buff up. Its pretty much useless at that point, you will be hitting like 50's on them.

Mage Vs. Pally. Debuff, lightning, drain life, frost, heal, fire storm, ice storm. Depending on the pally is how you place your heals. If the pally is junk you will waste you heal because damage will only be done on the mana shield and not hp.For good paladins, I have my heals closer to debuffs because some can pretty much ice you in one go.

Mage Vs. Warbird. This is tricky because if you cast too early or too late, your screwed. Most warbirds will blast shot then root you. So you waste virtually most your combo. War birds are pretty weak most of the time, its only when they figure out how to debuff you and break your shield before they use damage spells that they are effective.
    Last edited by Pharcyde; 01-18-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

tyty pharcyde
    Ignore the haters.

Tournament & Ladder Leader XghostzX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,204 Posts

yep, i'm with pharcyde. Mages can kill anyone just need the tactics and combos. Some people are just really hard to kill, so it takes time.

Guardian of Alterra DawnInfinity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I can't really help much with pure mage combos but if you want a pally to practice against, I'd be glad to help.
    *Follow my blog, and I'll love you forever *
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    She's not hot, she's sexy. Sexy steph
    Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    does it matter? we all praise and adore your presence, may your light fall upon our eyes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

sorry just testing photobucket
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

thx Pharcyde. I get it now. I was just getting discouraged too ez. it's kinda like twink pvp. just needed to set up buffs debuffs and attacks right. and be on my "A" game. I'm having a blast now and doing good. didn't even need to respec tho I might be a lil better if I do

thx again
    Ignore the haters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Mages often wont outcast a good bird.
    The best way is to anticipate when they are about to unleash a combo and push them back with Fire Nova, then go in for the kill.
    Anybody can sacrifice a queen. The real trick is getting away with it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I can only kill semi-good birds and lower.

Players like Falcom and Lone 1.) cast fast and 2.) know how to kill a mage before a mage can even get into range to strike.

Idk why ppl think lones combo is so godly, its pretty easy to figure out the best combos in the game. I'm pretty sure I figured out the best bird vs mage combo with kingz. Were still working on bird vs bird and bird vs pally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

There's really no such thing as a secret combo.

The skill set for each character isn't vast enough to come up with a combo that nobody else would know. It probably takes a few weeks of spending time in PvP to figure all the kinks and set your skills accordingly based on what class you are fighting.( Going against decent players, hypothetically speaking.)

The best advice I can give to you is not take PvP too seriously and have more fun with it. Sometimes players worry too much about winning or having a bad kdr ratio. The more loose you are, the more information you take in about the actually gameplay, and chances are you'll get better on a faster pace.
    Anybody can sacrifice a queen. The real trick is getting away with it.