Thread: Experience

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Default Experience

Experience is supposed to be gained as you kill enemies. Yes, I'm pretty sure everyone knows that. But I have a question. Do you get a certain amount of experience per enemy? Ex. 1 exp for 1 person. I thought that this is how it worked until a few seconds ago. As I was leveling up my new twink, I looked down at the remaining number of enemies. The number was 20. I then looked at my experience bar, and saw that I had 106 experience at level 17. So, I thought to myself, alright, by the end of the game, I should have a total of 126 experience if I keep up with the group and earn every experience point from each enemy killed. Well, by the end of the game, this was not true. I had only 119 experience, 7 off of what I had expected. I stayed with the group the whole way through the dungeon. I was definitely close enough to get experience from every enemy killed. So, my question. Why did I not get all of the experience that I had expected to receive?

The answer is probably going to be simple, but I am very intrigued.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Depending on the colors next to your enemy's hp bar, you get diff amounts of XP. 2 if it's red... just gets lower from there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Edit: Ok thank you Physiologic. I've never known that.

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Actually hold on - scratch that, I was confused with enemy KILLS as opposed to EXPERIENCE. The 50% enemy health applies to kills, but you still should receive XP. I have no idea why you're not getting experience, was the amount of enemies remaining accurate with the amount of XP you're receiving? And which map were you in?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

As I said, you get different amounts of XP depending on how much above in level you are. Yellow is around 1.5, Red is 2. I forget the rest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Enemies 1 level lower than you give 2/3 XP, and two levels lower give 1/3 XP, 3 levels lower 0 I believe.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Actually hold on - scratch that, I was confused with enemy KILLS as opposed to EXPERIENCE. The 50% enemy health applies to kills, but you still should receive XP. I have no idea why you're not getting experience, was the amount of enemies remaining accurate with the amount of XP you're receiving? And which map were you in?
    Yes, I was staying on track the entire time. I was in Dark Forest. Not sure the exact map. Let me test this out once more. Be right back.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Enemies 1 level lower than you give 2/3 XP, and two levels lower give 1/3 XP, 3 levels lower 0 I believe.
    Thanks Royce, you're like the human PL dictionary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

So I guess he was probably in a dungeon in which the strongest enemy was 1-2 levels lower than him, and the weakest enemy was 3 levels lower? If you see an enemy with a grey'd out orb next to their health bar, then that gives no experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Note there is an additional caveat to XP gain once mentioned very confusingly by Futumsh. He said you gain a little additional XP for killing mobs "while grouped" which I take to mean killing a bunch at once with AOE gives a slight XP bonus but I don't really know exactly what he meant
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Note there is an additional caveat to XP gain once mentioned very confusingly by Futumsh. He said you gain a little additional XP for killing mobs "while grouped" which I take to mean killing a bunch at once with AOE gives a slight XP bonus but I don't really know exactly what he meant
    I believe he was referring to if you have a party of 4 or 5 as opposed to 1-3. An enemy that gives you normally 1 XP, would give you about 1.33 XP. My numbers may be off but I believe it is around that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    I believe he was referring to if you have a party of 4 or 5 as opposed to 1-3. An enemy that gives you normally 1 XP, would give you about 1.33 XP. My numbers may be off but I believe it is around that.
    See that doesn't make sense to me. Why would you get less XP per mob killed when soloing? I mean does it scale with group size, is 2 the same as 5? I understand why you might read what he said that way, but the devs have also said that playing in a group vs soloing does not affect your experience gain, so it's very confusing either way :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I thought a dev said in the chatbox back in december that group partying does give more exp?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Ah well then that probably is true but it's weird IMO, kinda the opposite of what you'd expect since everyone gets XP from every kill :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

i agree, they reward partying too much to the point where leeching is very feasible to the point where Max level isn't an accomplishment. Then again I've played too many mmos in which getting to Max level IS difficult and considered an accomplishment