Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you give gifts effectively???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Default How do you give gifts effectively???

I wish to find a more effective way to help new players get better gear.

First I tried just giving away pinks. I would go to FH or BC and say "free pinks", but the people who took them weren't the right levels, and might have just liquidated for gp.

Second, I farmed up FH for level 10 items and gave away greens, but believe it or not, "free green items level 10" does not get many takers.

Third (yesterday), I tried listing items for well below the other sellers in CS, but all that happened was that one wealthy player bought them all within about an hour and relisted them!

So my next attempt will be to list low level items for low cost in CS, but avoid undercutting any others. I am thinking like minimum pricing. And I hope nobody buys them all like yesterday.

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a place like a Goodwill version of CS where you can put things you would like to give away? Even so, there would still be the re-listers who would take them and sell them in CS...

Does anyone have an EFFECTIVE way to give things to new folks? I mean as opposed to just giving them liquidation items?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Does anyone have an EFFECTIVE way to give things to new folks? I mean as opposed to just giving them liquidation items?
    give them a nature rod, tell em its rare and its worth MILLIONS, but they can only sell/use it once they buy all the packs and level to 50 XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    That. Is. AWESOME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

you need to go LOOKING for them.

all you ask is if they are new here. if they say yes, gift them right then and there. you can wait for the thank you, friend request, or MOAR response, but better to just leave to find another random new player to gift.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

The only effective way I have been able to do is your first option, but there are no really good weapons that low. I used to farm Mojo and give out his pinks (level 19 I think). Anything else would be monopolized by other players (like the CS option). I know you meant well, but that just had disaster written all over it. People are too gold hungry to actually be willing to help others out, guess everyone has caught that GGGOOOLLLDDD FFFEEEVVVEEERRR!

I tried handing out gems once (maybe 10) they were gone in seconds and may have ended up on CS, if not I guess it would encourage the low leveled players to farm for the recipies and get themselves some nice gear. They can't liquidate them so that's one problem solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I gift people i talk to in balefort sometimes. I just see the stuff they have (noobs usually have garbage) and I buy them some better stuff in the CS. What good is gold if you cannot spread it around to people who both need it and DESERVE it ? Right?

if I know they're about to level up to something dramatically better, I sometimes buy them that and tell them to hold onto it.

in game name: GIMBOID lvl 66 Archer Yeah, I'm SRINGY, Get over it!
    Totally indifferent member of FAIL
    INHALE RAGE EXHALE VENGEANCE...THERE IS NO FNORD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gaddy View Post
    if I know they're about to level up to something dramatically better, I sometimes buy them that and tell them to hold onto it.
    I love giving people lv45 spears and telling them that it has a break armor ability, one of the best weapons you can use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

I will go around and see if anything I have will help them (by clicking on the give box and seeing what it does to their stats) and then I just give it to them and run away. Sometimes I'll run lower levels with my low levels and if someone is really pulling their weight I'll unload a bunch of stuff on them.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kossi View Post
    give them a nature rod, tell em its rare and its worth MILLIONS, but they can only sell/use it once they buy all the packs and level to 50 XD
    ...omg

Quote Originally Posted by Arterra View Post
    I love giving people lv45 spears and telling them that it has a break armor ability, one of the best weapons you can use.
    ...OMG, you guys are evil *pulls out notepad* this is the stuff gold is made from!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Arterra, that's very cool, to give them knowledge along with the gift.

nono... gluttony... it really does break armor

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Arterra, that's very cool, to give them knowledge along with the gift.

nono... gluttony... it really does break armor
    It breaks armor??!! Where were you in April (2010) when I was a low leveled noob?

Edit: B) Level 45 Spears... all of them for undisclosed amount of gold to be named at a later date.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I didn't read all this... Just skimmed a bit.
    But I remember when I was a little newb, it was nice when someone gave me something I needed while we were playing -- even if it was a purple. They gave me something that was better than what I had, and I thought it was cool.
    I think that's the best way to give them out -- after playing with them, seeing them tryig and not begging for anything. When it did happen, it was just a really nice surprise, and not something I came to expect form all higher lvl players. I think if you just give too many things away in town, noobs will get accustomed to it. Also, there's the problem of low lvl noobs with junk ao3 pinks that aren't worth 500g. They usually get them from high lvl players and they think they're worth something and try to trade it off on someone like they have the Holy Grail to offer.

I think it's best to make sure you're only giving newbs something they can use right then or in a level or two.
    Last edited by Lesrider; 04-29-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    It breaks armor??!! Where were you in April (2010) when I was a low leveled noob?

Edit: B) Level 45 Spears... all of them for undisclosed amount of gold to be named at a later date.
    all spears, tridents, and forks have it. a stackable -15 (i think) armor break.
    lances also have it, but it cannot be stacked. also, it might be -20 for a lance...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Ive given out alot of free pinks. Go kto a towne and say "say hi or a free pink!" and when they say hi, give em an item they can use for their class when the get higher up. I have people tell me a few weeks later thx for giving me that pink, it made me want to lvl up and use it.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

NorthEast Ohio on the #1 Trout River next to Lake Erie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamoni View Post
    I will go around and see if anything I have will help them (by clicking on the give box and seeing what it does to their stats) and then I just give it to them and run away. Sometimes I'll run lower levels with my low levels and if someone is really pulling their weight I'll unload a bunch of stuff on them.
    ^^ I use this. or

We call it ninja giveing.

I use search group thing. I set the level to the items im giveing away. I enter games at random(no cities). I check there gear against what im giveing away. If its a upgrade they get it. I run off.
    """""""""There's a sucker born every minute" P. T. Barnum"""""""""

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

In my opinion, the goodwill cs would is a good idea, especially for those for really need something but doesn't have the cash...well sorta. Not unless some greedy person takes everything without even spending a single penny...

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roasty View Post
    Not unless some greedy person takes everything without even spending a single penny...
    You know it'll happen, there would have to be some sort of requirements to be able to get anything out of the shop (level >10, gold >10k on all accounts, >10 total in-game hours), just too much work when you think about it actually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

OMG, I pretty much do what Pandemoni said, although sometimes I don't run away very fast. LOL. I have a designated low-mid level character who isn't too conspicuous go to Dark Forest or play in Dark Forest and check out people's stats and give them stuff they can use or are close to being able to use. This includes purples and low level greens. Depends on which seem rare and useful. Obviously, if people are geared up or I can't check their stats, they get nothing.

I usually drop a high level pink or six on them at the same time. Clears my inventory and if they make money off of the high level items or it gives them something to aspire to, that's fine. Generally I have so much that everybody in that town will get an item, assuming I have an item they can use.

Hopefully, they get a little use out of the stuff and I get to spread a little bit of happiness.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I do the same thing as Pandamoni as well. First I check to see if they have been working hard for where they are (kill count and quest lists since it is all I have to go on). Then I use the give option to check their stats to what I have that could help them in the now. I love to do it in random dungeon maps. I'll join an instance and go through the players in there, drop some weapons if they look like hard working players and then pop out before they have a chance to do or say anything.

Tiliana - 54 Pure Int Mage & Atilian - 21 Pure Dex Archer
    Spamming the heals and living the dream once again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

You know. I try to do nice things all the time and barely anyone says thanks. I'll stand in town and pick people, flip through my inventory, and give items that will be useful. If they don't say anything, I'll say "try that on, it's better". Sometimes, they'll just put it on and walk away. Some people even have the audacity to say "I don't like this one, give me a different one". YOU WILL TAKE WHAT I GIVE YOU AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ladylove View Post
    You know. I try to do nice things all the time and barely anyone says thanks. I'll stand in town and pick people, flip through my inventory, and give items that will be useful. If they don't say anything, I'll say "try that on, it's better". Sometimes, they'll just put it on and walk away. Some people even have the audacity to say "I don't like this one, give me a different one". YOU WILL TAKE WHAT I GIVE YOU AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!
    Give me a cookie and I'll say thanks!
    Stuck in the game? Don't know what to do? Try this new awesome section on the forums which contains guides created by players to address various game issues. Click HERE to go to it! You can also use the nifty SEARCH feature on these forums to find your answer as well.