Thread: Tips, Hints, and Tricks to Overall Gameplay

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Tips, Hints, and Tricks to Overall Gameplay

This is a WORK IN PROGRESS and needs a lot more user input. As you will see, I play mostly as a Mage and secondly as a Bear as my Archer is lacking in content. Please share what you have learned or what you have seen others do to help me get as much relevant information as possible.
    Also, this is all from my point of view so if you disagree with something and/or have a better solution please let me know.

So, I like to go to the lower levels and play as my mage, either farming or just running levels. I have noticed that many players do things that you would have expected them to know not to do, but they don't. Thus I have created this guide! I hope to be able to let players in on the 'secrets' that others know and that help them to be better players for their chosen character.

This guide is not to answer such questions as which build to use, how to farm certain bosses and/or areas, or what items to use. (There are many other guides that address them.) This is simply to help others to better know the ins and out of their character and be better team players.

General Information

Gaming

-Quick Text is your friend. If you find yourself saying the same phrase over and over again then put it in quick text. This allows you to say it in the middle of a fight without stopping to type it out and possibly dying.

-When you want to buy potions go to Ellie in Forest Haven. Although a tad inconvenient if you’re in a game, it is cheaper than the store and you can get more for your gold, especially if you’re saving for something.

-When you die and wish to exit the game go to the Alien Oasis town. This way you spawn in the healing waters and don’t have to use pots.

-Always check the prices in the CS of items you wish to buy or sell. This protects you from getting “scammed.” If the item is not currently listed ask around to see what it normally goes for or compare it to a similar item. Always double check.

-When joining a game look for games in the beginning stages. This way you get more XP than joining at the end.

In-Game

-Be aware that having more than two bears in a game can be a headache if they don’t play well off each other. When joining a game look at the players there and make sure you’re comfortable with who is there.

-If you need to complete a quest by talking to a NPC in game try to join a game that is almost done. Tell the others that you just have to talk to one individual and then you will leave. Most people don’t wish for a player to join the game when they are at the boss. By telling them this, if they are understanding, you avoid getting booted and can complete your quest.

-When fighting Gold Fever someone always catches the Fever. If that is the case then please try to isolate yourself so your teammates don't catch it also. On the other hand, if you notice someone has the Fever avoid them like the plague.

-If you haven't fought a boss in Balefort Sewers do not, and I repeat, do not just run in and think you can kill them like you do other bosses. There is no shame in asking what the strategy is, as strategy is required for those particular bosses. Ignorance is not bliss.

Chatting

-If there is a lot going on in the chat pane PM the person you wish to talk to. This ensures they see what you said to them and are more likely to respond. You can also click the arrow button next to the message button and see your entire conversation with them.

-Spamming is not attractive and/or necessary. There can only be 25 people in the towne at a time so repeating something every...3...seconds...does not guarantee new people will see it. Write something then wait about 2-4 minutes and then write it again. This will allow you to reach more people due to not being on everyone's ignore list for spamming.

-PLEASE, do not PM someone begging for items and/or asking them if they want to buy your item. Chances are if they didn't contact you they're either not interested or you earned a spot on the ignore list.

Ursan

Ursans, in their pure form, are built for survivability. They are also great for crowd control when their skills of Taunt and Beckon are maxed out. Here are some nuggets of wisdom to being a better Ursan:

-Rush a room first. You can take more damage so being there first gets enemy aggro on you so that your teammates can be more effective.

-Beckon to a corner or wall. This allows your combo with Stomp to keep all enemies together and not scatter them as opposed to Beckoning in the middle of the hallway.

-Bears look great in Hooch Hats. Don’t know why but they really do.

-Focus on the boss and leave the lower beings to your team. You have a better chance of controlling enemies and dealing heavier amounts of damage so by focusing on the boss it allows your team to clear the area without getting one hit KO'd.

-If you plan on joining a farming and/or XP group ensure you have enough pots. You can lose your spot if you choose to go to Ellie to buy pots and everyone knows good PUGs are hard to find and Mages are not a guarantee (in presence and/or skill).

Enchantress

Enchantresses are, as I am, Nuke Healers. When full INT your mana and health regen are unrivaled, allowing you to use more skills without worrying about mana running out. Here are ways to be an effective Mage:

-Mage Heal counters enemy Freeze. So, this means that when you or your teammates are frozen in place, HEAL them so you can get back to fighting.

-Mage Heal counters Trash Heaps Sewage Stink in Catacombs. So, this means that when you or your teammates get hit by the stink bomb, HEAL them so you don't lose any more health.

-Spam Heal. It has been said before but many Mages still don’t do it. Unless in a full group of Mages, you are more effective healing your teammates constantly than doing straight AOE damage.

-DON’T RUSH A ROOM ALONE! Depending on build Mages are not built to survive. When soloing or approaching a room by yourself, stand back and target one or two enemies at a time. This way the enemies don’t rush you and you die many useless deaths.

-Keep track of your teammate’s health. Most Balefort Sewer runs consist of one or two mages. This means that you have to really be aware of what health status teammates are at.

-Revive ASAP! This goes with keeping track of your teammate’s health. If you are doing that you should know immediately when they die. Hit REV! Don’t wait until you think is a good time. Fact is, when your tank dies, enemy aggro targets someone else. If that’s you and you don’t Rev, you can be screwed. Rev immediately for self preservation.

-Kiting keeps you alive longer. Because Mages have ranged attacks they don't have to stand in one place to deal damage. Move around and don't allow those enemies with swords and axes to get close and deal damage.

-My Mage combo is Ice Storm, Lightning, and Fire Storm. One thing I like to do is follow a bear, and when they Beckon (hopefully against a wall) I begin my combo. I have found this to be very effective in keeping the mobs together and dealing heavy damage.

Archer

Archer’s are all about the DPS. However, due to low armor are very susceptible to a one hit death. Make sure you keep constant track of your health and mana and stay close to the Mage if one is available. Here are some tips to be all you can be:

-When using the Scream and Blast Shot combo, make sure you are facing the most enemies. This increases the effectiveness of your combo.

-Kiting is best learned as an Archer due to ranged attacks. Archers have the longest distance they can attack from so kiting helps you to stay alive longer.

-DON’T RUSH A ROOM ALONE! Depending on build Archers are not built to survive. When soloing or approaching a room by yourself, stand back and target one or two enemies at a time. This way the enemies don’t rush you and you die many useless deaths.

-If you plan on joining a farming and/or XP group ensure you have enough pots. You can lose your spot if you choose to go to Ellie to buy pots and everyone knows good PUGs are hard to find and Mages are not a guarantee (in presence and/or skill).
    Last edited by NeoQueen; 06-16-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    Join The Movement-- itgetsbetter.org
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7skPn...e_gdata_player