Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name your hosted game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry Name your hosted game

Am I the only one getting sick of getting booted from public games because the host wants only certain things? For example: "53+" "Mages only" etc. I doubt it.

The best solution would be for hosts to be able to put this in the name of the game, like in Diablo 2. It's getting bad right now in the higher levels. You never know what the host has in mind as it stands right now. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Raulur; 05-12-2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Run-on sentence
    Raulurfixit (engineer) <Serenity> guild member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Great idea, would save everyone a lot of time so long as no one abuses it (which they probably will)

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

+1. Optional, but it could help to clarify some situations ("Keeper Only" at VL, "No Fever" in Hideouts etc.) that only asking you know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

great idea. another benefit would be to avoid those games where folks leave at the boss!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The hosted game shouldn't be able to create if it contains Vulgar words or hate speech :-)

+1 Dream point for that idea ;-)
    Hello peeps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good idea. I'm tired of looking to get into a game for 15 min. The filter should be able to mute vulgarity and hate speach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Whippersnappers.

You used to be able to do this. It was removed precisely because of abuse -- "join game" was nothing but screen after screen of buy/sell ads masquerading as games.
    Potentially helpful thread: Your Job (or: How Not To Look Like A N00b)
    My Guild: The Duchy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Whippersnappers.

You used to be able to do this. It was removed precisely because of abuse -- "join game" was nothing but screen after screen of buy/sell ads masquerading as games.
    Not to mention all of the racist game names that were made. It was getting pretty ugly before they decided to take that feature down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Why... :/

Bring it back and see how it goes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

How bout this? Next time you get booted, or get frustrated by booting, HOST your own game.

If you password it, then invite your friends w/ the password or use the same password for all your games.
    If you leave it open, depending on the game, you can wait or start and people will join.

People do join. Heck, lots of full games I play in start exactly this way.
    Ok, some areas/levels people like better than others, but really the best control you have over your play is hosting your own games.
    The good thing is if you run a good game, you can remake the game for as long as your fingers and/or potions last, and those same people will join you.

P.S. before you go for a long gaming run, stock up on potions!
    P.S.S. I love pick-up games -- it's a good way to meet new people and refresh your friends list. But I can also understand if it gets frustrating if there's too much booting, so the above is for you to get back to having fun playing. Usually once you start making your own games though, you stop only to take a break. Seriously, people will keep going until your fingers are bleeding :P

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great idea! I like it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Personally, I enjoy being booted. It gives me time to pm the booter and tell him, in a tos friendly way, what I think of his booting me. After a few minutes of making his screen nice and yellow with my words I log on with another character and see if I can join that same persons game and act like he didn't boot me. If he is doing runs I will suggest that I can remake then boot him. Its really a very fun little game muaaahahahaha
    Charmonda: He started dancing on me and so I started dancing on him. You now how we do:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another option is add a description column, you can leave it as blank or you can type "xp run, no boss", "Keeper hunt"......etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by romgar1 View Post
    Personally, I enjoy being booted. It gives me time to pm the booter and tell him, in a tos friendly way, what I think of his booting me.
    How you can PM a player who isn't is same map or in your friendship list?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tamino View Post
    How you can PM a player who isn't is same map or in your friendship list?
    Use /tell command if you wish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So they tried it before and it wasn't working, so they just took it out? I was wondering what happened to that. Can't they just apply a filter to game names? I would think it would be preferred to the many games that are empty because the host bails if noone joins right away.

Yes, I do host games. Typically either nobody joins, or they leave right away when I'm not sitting at the entrance waiting on them. I've given up on the cyber quests because it's almost impossible to get a group going for VL runs during non-peak hours. Most players bail at the keeper on the regular CTK map. I suppose I could just go solo Gurgox a bunch of times, but it takes forever to get there solo.

Sewers aren't any better. It normally takes 15 minutes plus to find/host a game where people stay, then you never know how many are going to bail at the boss. First it was getting common to be booted for not being 55 plus, now it's getting common to be booted for not being 53 plus.

The ease of booting without being able to name games makes for an extremely frustrating experience.
    Raulurfixit (engineer) <Serenity> guild member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I support this idea. And, would like to add a "max level" selection when hosting a game. If I set max level to 52, then 53 and up players won't even see the game. This would save me a *lot* of booting.

The title is important to help people choose the right group. I'm not in a big hurry to get XP, and I hate it when the group reaches the boss, says "rmk", and everyone quits. It would be nice to know that before I started. I often saw that in Keeper: player says, "Aren't we killing keeper?"... everyone leaves... player is standing there looking disappointed.

As far as abuse, I think advertising should be allowed only in the cs zone. Just suspend people for a week if they use hosted game titles for advertising. I don't see the point of B) S) tells anyway. People advertise lame items that are easily bought and sold in cs, makes no sense. eg. "S) Voodoo Spoon 1k" ... bah, go away.

Chronicler of Alterra nazgulking's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Since naming is susceptible to abuse, why don't have preset prefixes? If players feels like having a few more, Devs will add them time by time. Btw +1 to OP for the nice idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by romgar1 View Post
    Personally, I enjoy being booted. It gives me time to pm the booter and tell him, in a tos friendly way, what I think of his booting me. After a few minutes of making his screen nice and yellow with my words I log on with another character and see if I can join that same persons game and act like he didn't boot me. If he is doing runs I will suggest that I can remake then boot him. Its really a very fun little game muaaahahahaha
    I'm quick to boot, and also put people on ignore for just one tell. (my ignore list is pretty long) You could work hard at your revenge thing, I don't care, I just move on and forget about it. Getting booted doesn't bother me. It just means I was the wrong level, or they are saving a spot for someone.

Let's just say, if you are 55 and join my 52 sewer group, you have 5 seconds to leave.
    Last edited by csb; 06-17-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nazgulking View Post
    Since naming is susceptible to abuse, why don't have preset prefixes? If players feels like having a few more, Devs will add them time by time. Btw +1 to OP for the nice idea
    Good alternative