Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Dragon Hunter Staff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Fixing the cancellation of other consecrates definitely needs to be fixed. It actually interrupts team play, which is what the staff is supposed to be strong at.

I have an idea that could fix the issue people are having about liking or not liking consecrate: two step charging. Make the normal charge time of a staff be there in the charge meter, and that spot lets you do a standard charged attack. Continue holding and it'll cast the spell. It may be a bit tricky to implement, but it is an idea. Also, now would be a good time to work on this, as I imagine it would need to be added through the release of a new client. Since we're close to one now, it would probably be good to work on prior to the new release. The community has agreed on this before: we'd rather wait an extra week for bugs & glitches to be fully worked out, or while good things are added.
    Switching to a system like this could be really useful in the future. Have it set so weapons with one step charging (like we now have) continue to work like they do, and other weapons can have two step charging. In the future, these could allow for rogues to have a weapon that casts down a 10% mana pack, a warrior with a weapon that can cast a taunt, and whatever else you can imagine.
    Or, perhaps when we equip one of these 'skill weapons,' another little button pops up (or just split the attack button into two different buttons), and one does what we have now for normal weapons (an attack-charge) and the other has the skill-charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofninjas View Post
    Even after using consecrate spell, glintstone gun users will have the damage advantage. I compared a 3 eye wisdom gun to a 3 excellent mind arcane staff, so the damage from jewels was already in the staffs favor. The gun had more damage by roughly 30 skill damage on lightning skill.
    30 skill damage is pretty negligible in PvP. After defense & shields...it is very small. Nekro alone reduces it to 18.

Let's say a rogue has 6,000 life. And your lightning hits for 700. It will require 9 lightning to kill the rogue. Now, even if we ignore all reductions of that 30 skill damage...you still need to land 9 lightnings to kill the rogue.

So damage wise...there is no real noticeable difference. And the staff is superior for pve play.
    In pvp, it is really the simple fact that it is staff. And staves suck for PvP. A gun auto aims and hits from a distance. Even if the staff had a sizeable damage advantage, 90% of us would still use the gun over it. When the lvl 36 mythic staff came out, the lvl 31 mythic gun was preferred. Same thing here. This is nothing new.

A lot of people need to learn to adjust to using consecrate. Don't freakin' charge it in the middle of a battle! Charge it pre-emptively. Ideally, cast it, move up some/out of it while you charge something (such as lightning), and bait your enemy to move towards you, as you then step backwards and into your consecrate (which your opponent will be unaware of it being there, as it was placed off of their screen when they first made visual contact with you). Heck, you can try using a charged gale to strike your opponent with, as you slide charge lite, land in your consecrate, and release lite. Get creative with new tactics.
    And as Carapace said...it is intended to be best suited in a team setting.
    So, we have a weapon better for 1v1 (gun), and another for group/pve (staff). Which is a good thing. "1 item better than all others in all ways" is no fun, boring, generic, and has been seen to negatively effect the economy--multiple times.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Morholt For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morholt View Post
    Fixing the cancellation of other consecrates definitely needs to be fixed. It actually interrupts team play, which is what the staff is supposed to be strong at.

I have an idea that could fix the issue people are having about liking or not liking consecrate: two step charging. Make the normal charge time of a staff be there in the charge meter, and that spot lets you do a standard charged attack. Continue holding and it'll cast the spell. It may be a bit tricky to implement, but it is an idea. Also, now would be a good time to work on this, as I imagine it would need to be added through the release of a new client. Since we're close to one now, it would probably be good to work on prior to the new release. The community has agreed on this before: we'd rather wait an extra week for bugs & glitches to be fully worked out, or while good things are added.
    Switching to a system like this could be really useful in the future. Have it set so weapons with one step charging (like we now have) continue to work like they do, and other weapons can have two step charging. In the future, these could allow for rogues to have a weapon that casts down a 10% mana pack, a warrior with a weapon that can cast a taunt, and whatever else you can imagine.
    Or, perhaps when we equip one of these 'skill weapons,' another little button pops up (or just split the attack button into two different buttons), and one does what we have now for normal weapons (an attack-charge) and the other has the skill-charge.

30 skill damage is pretty negligible in PvP. After defense & shields...it is very small. Nekro alone reduces it to 18.

Let's say a rogue has 6,000 life. And your lightning hits for 700. It will require 9 lightning to kill the rogue. Now, even if we ignore all reductions of that 30 skill damage...you still need to land 9 lightnings to kill the rogue.

So damage wise...there is no real noticeable difference. And the staff is superior for pve play.
    In pvp, it is really the simple fact that it is staff. And staves suck for PvP. A gun auto aims and hits from a distance. Even if the staff had a sizeable damage advantage, 90% of us would still use the gun over it. When the lvl 36 mythic staff came out, the lvl 31 mythic gun was preferred. Same thing here. This is nothing new.

A lot of people need to learn to adjust to using consecrate. Don't freakin' charge it in the middle of a battle! Charge it pre-emptively. Ideally, cast it, move up some/out of it while you charge something (such as lightning), and bait your enemy to move towards you, as you then step backwards and into your consecrate (which your opponent will be unaware of it being there, as it was placed off of their screen when they first made visual contact with you). Heck, you can try using a charged gale to strike your opponent with, as you slide charge lite, land in your consecrate, and release lite. Get creative with new tactics.
    And as Carapace said...it is intended to be best suited in a team setting.
    So, we have a weapon better for 1v1 (gun), and another for group/pve (staff). Which is a good thing. "1 item better than all others in all ways" is no fun, boring, generic, and has been seen to negatively effect the economy--multiple times.
    Your solution for fixing the lack of a charge attack only makes the time taken to cast the spell longer. Not viable IMO.

I dont know where your claims about 30 skill damage making no difference in PvP come from, but I can assure you they are wrong. It makes a significant damage. And 30 is only after consecrate, which makes us lose 1.25 seconds to cast. Before that it is closer to 75. Maybe in the PvP games you play 30 skill damage won't make a difference, but in the for the most part even gear clashes I play, it does.

Yes, staffs are worse in PvP, but you only saw people using lvl 31 mythic gun over kershal because they couldn't afford kershal. Kershal was still the best weapon for mages during the lvl 36 cap.

Im PvP, you have to move around. You can't stand in 1 spot and spam skills like you suggest we do. This is another disadvantage of consecrate. The radius is tiny and we are hardly in it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingofninjas For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts

what is important for me is the increase of skill damage and multiple Consecrations should be allowed.

cute is just my cover

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Your solution for fixing the lack of a charge attack only makes the time taken to cast the spell longer. Not viable IMO.

Yes, staffs are worse in PvP, but you only saw people using lvl 31 mythic gun over kershal because they couldn't afford kershal. Kershal was still the best weapon for mages during the lvl 36 cap.

Im PvP, you have to move around. You can't stand in 1 spot and spam skills like you suggest we do. This is another disadvantage of consecrate. The radius is tiny and we are hardly in it.
    -I never said to extend the charge time. I said to make a charged attack at the normal time for a normal charged auto attack. And then you have the option of casting consecrate by choosing to charge the 1.25 seconds.
    *Tap auto attack: normal attack
    *Charge auto attack for .5 seconds: charged attack
    *Charge auto attack for 1.25 seconds: cast spell.
    I am sorry if that was too complicatedly explained previously. I forgot, you seem to have a history of being unable to follow thoughts & concepts expressed through the flow of written/typed words. My deepest apologies for not making overly simplified bullet points from the start.

-I said the 36 mythic staff. Kershal isn't that weapon. The 36 MYTHIC weapon was pretty readily available, since it released in two skins--in fact, the market was considered "flooded" with mythic weapons then (which is funny, compared to how bad it is with the current 46 mythics).

-I said DON'T stand in place. I said play smart and cast it 'secrectively.' I also said to charge it pre-emptively (sorry for the big word: to charge it beforehand/in preparation). This means the 1.25 second charge time isn't much of an issue. You should really only attempt to cast it once in pvp: very early. Are people really trying to spam this in battle? Just cast it and hope you or a teammate can use it for a brief moment. Don't force it. If you get bent up on standing on it, you're going to be predictable for you opponent. Since you should only be charging the staff once--and before engaging the opponent(s), it could take 5 minutes [*hyperbole*] to charge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts

two step charging is interesting... but the client need to be responsive, not blocking commands every time a bit lag/spike happened,

or giving additional delay on successful charged spell

also to be fair, all charging time for normal attacks need to be reduced :P, because no charged normal attack can be charged less than 1s
    always milking, no service
    AL IGN: Extrapayah/Extraparah/Extrajelek
    Support Shared Pet Stable Please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

in short no changes.. anyways we are just mages, if you are rouge or warrior it will be easy..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to potpot For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by potpot View Post
    in short no changes.. anyways we are just mages, if you are rouge or warrior it will be easy..
    Lel.. Just mages ?! I dont think u even use the Arc staff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Veenihiv View Post
    Lel.. Just mages ?! I dont think u even use the Arc staff
    Lol you didnt quite get what I mean, If you are rouge or warrior any complaints from them they easily change.. unlike us mages.. and for you info I have arc staff and im selling my extra one as well..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Firstly, thank you very much for creating this thread and posting the explanation. This kind of interaction between developers and the community is quite rare on other forums.

Secondly, let's delve into the details.

"The intent for the Arcane Dragon Hunter Staff was to add another spell to the Sorcerer's arsenal, which is evidenced by the 100% chance to cast Consecrate when charging the staff. "
    This is evident, since Consacrate is not a proc, but actually a charged attack spell. But as your numbers suggest, Consacrate costs more mana and time than fireball and arcane shield. This would suggest that this spell is more powerful than the latter ones? In reality it is not. Consacrate doesn't grant initial invincibility, stun immunity, nor does it grant knockback or stun of the fireball.
    In practice this means that it won't be used. Why using a spell that is more taxing in mana and time if I can have beter results with fireball and shield?

But this is only from a point of view of one player (mage), how about the point of view of the whole party? As you explain here:

"So casting Consecrate in a group scenario results in a more efficient cast / mana usage for the staff. It serves better as a strategic spell cast during moments of a confrontation. "
    This is true, when you look at the whole party, Consacrate has more value then a fireball and a shield. Maybe only fireball adds to the whole party value, since it knockbacks/stuns the mobs.

But, here we go again, this is undermined by the fact that the size of Consacrate is quite stingy and that another user's Consacrate will cancel yours. To avoid this, I think many parties would allow only one mage with Arcane staff per party. Or if there were more mages in a party, the spell won't be used as often.

So in the end, we come to the conclusion that Consacrate is a bonus spell for mages, that will be used very rarely on hard(er) maps, since there are more drawbacks then bonuses for a staff user.

Just one example, in elites I will rather charge a fireball then charge a shield rushing the mobs, than cast a Consacrate. The latter option doesn't grant me stun immunity, 2 sec invicibility and a chance to knockback the mobs. If I just charge Consacrate it gives a damage reduction that is quickly undermined by the fact that all the mob is now focused on me (because of a taunt) and I end up losing half of my health.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Jaffakex; 02-21-2016 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typos

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffakex For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

I understand mages are a support class and appreciate the weapon for helping us play that role
    I agree with everything else you said, but I need to take issue with this particular statement. No player should be forced to play any role regardless of which class they choose. There are only three classes, and players chose which one to play for a variety of reasons. If a player chooses the sorcerer class, there is no good reason he or she should be railroaded (either socially or via game mechanics) into playing a support role no matter what the prevailing opinion may be. Original design intents be damned, let each players play a class how he or she would like to play it.

Secondly, the fact is that the Sorcerer class is NOT a support class. With toughness and a superior skill set with which to help the team, the Warrior class fits the 'support' role much better than Sorcerers ever could. The weakest in terms of health and armor, Sorcerers have exactly one skill that can directly help team members, Lifegiver. Warriors have three! Sorcerers who attempt to play the support role often spend more time dying and reviving than actually helping. Who would tolerate a Sorcerer using Lifegiver in elites, which aggros mobs? In PvP, Rogues often view Sorcerers as support merely because Rogues need constant mana recharges. Because so many players play rogues in PvP, this narrow-minded viewpiont prevails among many of the game's top PvP players. The game is called Arcane Legends, not Rogue Legends. The spotlight should be shared equally among all three classes.

It's obvious that Consecrate is meant to support the team, and that's how the spell is designed. I'm all for helping the team, but not if it means Sorcerers will continue to be erroneously branded as "The Support Class" and must deal with increasing social pressure to play a support role.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Niixed For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thundyrz View Post
    I agree with everything else you said, but I need to take issue with this particular statement. No player should be forced to play any role regardless of which class they choose. There are only three classes, and players chose which one to play for a variety of reasons. If a player chooses the sorcerer class, there is no good reason he or she should be railroaded (either socially or via game mechanics) into playing a support role no matter what the prevailing opinion may be. Original design intents be damned, let each players play a class how he or she would like to play it.

Secondly, the fact is that the Sorcerer class is NOT a support class. With toughness and a superior skill set with which to help the team, the Warrior class fits the 'support' role much better than Sorcerers ever could. The weakest in terms of health and armor, Sorcerers have exactly one skill that can directly help team members, Lifegiver. Warriors have three! Sorcerers who attempt to play the support role often spend more time dying and reviving than actually helping. Who would tolerate a Sorcerer using Lifegiver in elites, which aggros mobs? In PvP, Rogues often view Sorcerers as support merely because Rogues need constant mana recharges. Because so many players play rogues in PvP, this narrow-minded viewpiont prevails among many of the game's top PvP players. The game is called Arcane Legends, not Rogue Legends. The spotlight should be shared equally among all three classes.

It's obvious that Consecrate is meant to support the team, and that's how the spell is designed. I'm all for helping the team, but not if it means Sorcerers will continue to be erroneously branded as "The Support Class" and must deal with increasing social pressure to play a support role.
    Fair enough, but you took what I said out of context. I believe I went on to say that we should be able to fend for ourselves and that's why the skill damage should be increased.

Also, I think sorcerers tag as "support class" was only worsened by the arcane sword and glintstone set for tanks. Now tanks need mama too and can damage and stunlock much Kore effectively than mages, leaving us to play "support".

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingofninjas For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morholt View Post
    -I never said to extend the charge time. I said to make a charged attack at the normal time for a normal charged auto attack. And then you have the option of casting consecrate by choosing to charge the 1.25 seconds.
    *Tap auto attack: normal attack
    *Charge auto attack for .5 seconds: charged attack
    *Charge auto attack for 1.25 seconds: cast spell.
    I am sorry if that was too complicatedly explained previously. I forgot, you seem to have a history of being unable to follow thoughts & concepts expressed through the flow of written/typed words. My deepest apologies for not making overly simplified bullet points from the start.

-I said the 36 mythic staff. Kershal isn't that weapon. The 36 MYTHIC weapon was pretty readily available, since it released in two skins--in fact, the market was considered "flooded" with mythic weapons then (which is funny, compared to how bad it is with the current 46 mythics).

-I said DON'T stand in place. I said play smart and cast it 'secrectively.' I also said to charge it pre-emptively (sorry for the big word: to charge it beforehand/in preparation). This means the 1.25 second charge time isn't much of an issue. You should really only attempt to cast it once in pvp: very early. Are people really trying to spam this in battle? Just cast it and hope you or a teammate can use it for a brief moment. Don't force it. If you get bent up on standing on it, you're going to be predictable for you opponent. Since you should only be charging the staff once--and before engaging the opponent(s), it could take 5 minutes [*hyperbole*] to charge.
    Sorry. Let me rephrase. You didn't say stand in 1 spot (in your first post, not the reply). You said waste 3 seconds (at least) or the process luring the enemy to it, then stand in 1 spot and fight. Even less effective. Charging it pre emptively is useless because when it's charged then, most of the time the team will have Nekro shield. The only benefit is 3% crit and 30 ish damage. Better off try to set of the wisdom gun's proc.

As for the charge time, you said, "Make the normal charge time of a staff be there in the charge meter, and that spot lets you do a standard charged attack. Continue holding and it'll cast the spell". To me, that means the charge time of the weapon for a regular charged attack remains the same and you spend extra time to casting the spell.

Whether you are talking about kershal or lvl 36 mythic staff, my point remains. The staff was better. If you don't believe, go check the stat difference and skill damage. Maybe numbers will change your mind where words are clearly ineffectual.

Try not to be so butthurt. I have no clue who you are. If you have some beef with me, well get in line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

hmmmm just a question ..... IF the concentration skill = fireball + shield..... where's the aoe stun ? ._.

IMO, without stun, its not a viable alternative to fireball (as the only reason to charge it is for the stun, not aoe damage)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Thanks a million to Carapace and the team for having yet another open discussion! It's awesome to know our voices are being heard. I know I speak for many when I say that we appreciate the thought, time and effort you put into making the game fun to play.

It is disappointing to hear that the team is currently content with Dragon Hunter Staff. Though it may appear that way, this is not a case of buff-envy. Due to the complex nature of the staff, it took a little time to discover its weaknesses. Many players still may not recognize what they are. In the case of the Dragon Hunter Blades the weaknesses were obvious and, let's be honest, Rogue players tend to be more impatient and demanding than Sorcerer players. However, I trust that you'll let this case be decided on it own merits.

Staves are notorious for generating more sorcerer deaths than guns because staves are hand-to-hand combat weapons. Because sorcerers are extremely vulnerable at close range, a gun is almost always the smarter choice. The only type of staff I'd ever consider using as my main weapon is an arcane staff - nothing else comes close to properly addressing that extreme vulnerability. The Ker'shal Scepter made up for that vulnerability quite nicely. The Dragon Hunter Staff may have a shot if Consecrate is sufficiently improved.

How to Fix Consecrate

Unfortunately, Consecrate cannot replace either Fireball or Arcane Shield. Fusing inferior versions of two existing skills does not necessarily create a better spell. In the case of Consecrate, it overlaps significantly with both skills (and Nekro!) but isn't as powerful as each individual skill. During hardcore gameplay (Elites, PvP, timed), Sorcerers must have those skills at maximum strength. Few sorcerers will remove Arcane Shield or Fireball from their specs because of Consecrate. Arcane weapons exist to be used during fast-paced, hardcore gameplay. An arcane staff that takes 1.25 seconds to cast a weakened fireball and an immobile damage reduction field feels sluggish and is not up to par. Casting Consecrate is a huge sacrifice for Sorcerers who often must retreat from the AoE immediately after casting.

However, I think that Consecrate can be tweaked a little to make it remarkably useful while still keeping it in balance with the game as a whole. The idea behind the word "consecrate" is to bless, to make make something sacred - in this case the ground on which the spell is centered. Why not take the concept just a little further? In folklore, all manner of foul creatures cannot traverse consecrated land without enduring severe penalties.

1. Create a Perimeter - Drive back (push back) all enemies to the edge of the area of effect. This allows Sorcerers and other team members to stay within the AoE without having to retreat and lose the benefit of the spell that cost the Sorcerer mana and time to cast.
    2. Slow Enemy Movement Speed by 40% - Once enemies have been driven back, they can re-enter, but moving through consecrated ground is like travelling through muddy swamp water.
    3. Add Damage over Time - Enemies take damage walking on consecrated ground. It doesn't have to be a lot of damage, but at least a token amount. The spell shouldn't be too OP.
    4. Reduce Damage Reduction to 15% - for the purposes of spell balancing. If #1 and #2 are implemented, allies within the AoE will take less damage anyway.
    5. Reduce Initial Spell Damage by 33% - to help balance out the DoT feature.
    6. Reduce casting time to 1.125 seconds - just a little shaved off will make a big difference in how it feels to cast.
    7. Keep mana cost the same - the above changes would make it well worth the expense.

I hope my suggestions are well within the 'feasible' range, thus increasing the probability that they will be implemented. I understand and appreciate the overhead costs involved with re-examining and altering content that has already been released. I encourage other players to comment on my suggestions.

Edit: Based on feedback altered #2 from 70% msr to 40% msr. Increased #4 from 10% Damage Reduction to 15% to compensate.
    Last edited by Niixed; 02-22-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Niixed For This Useful Post:

22.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #35
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,906 Posts

Thank you everyone from taking the time to respond with such detail. It really helps us out. We'll be discussing your feedback this week and will update you on Wednesday with any news/changes.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Remiem For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

Players will never get satisfied until their weapons can do 100% stun, DoT, shield and banishment at the same time, or maybe "/killall" should be implemented.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to csyui For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I learned my lesson with the Kershal. This time around I will be keeping my Glintstone Wisdom gun. Guns > Staffs for just about every situation except perhaps for doing tombs runs like WT4 and KM3. For PvP, bosses, and elites, guns work much better as their range and ability to auto aim means the sorcerer can keep distance from the enemy, keep moving and run circles around a boss, and strike from the rear of the party in PvP. With a staff, it forces you to stop moving so you can face the enemy, and you must be much closer to the enemy because of limited range. Between that and the reduced skill damage, I cannot see why anyone would choose the staff over the gun. And BTW, the Glintstone gun also has a proc that increases damage for the party.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thundyrz View Post
    Thanks a million to Carapace and the team for having yet another open discussion! It's awesome to know our voices are being heard. I know I speak for many when I say that we appreciate the thought, time and effort you put into making the game fun to play.

It is disappointing to hear that the team is currently content with Dragon Hunter Staff. Though it may appear that way, this is not a case of buff-envy. Due to the complex nature of the staff, it took a little time to discover its weaknesses. Many players still may not recognize what they are. In the case of the Dragon Hunter Blades the weaknesses were obvious and, let's be honest, Rogue players tend to be more impatient and demanding than Sorcerer players. However, I trust that you'll let this case be decided on it own merits.

Staves are notorious for generating more sorcerer deaths than guns because staves are hand-to-hand combat weapons. Because sorcerers are extremely vulnerable at close range, a gun is almost always the smarter choice. The only type of staff I'd ever consider using as my main weapon is an arcane staff - nothing else comes close to properly addressing that extreme vulnerability. The Ker'shal Scepter made up for that vulnerability quite nicely. The Dragon Hunter Staff may have a shot if Consecrate is sufficiently improved.

How to Fix Consecrate

Unfortunately, Consecrate cannot replace either Fireball or Arcane Shield. Fusing inferior versions of two existing skills does not necessarily create a better spell. In the case of Consecrate, it overlaps significantly with both skills (and Nekro!) but isn't as powerful as each individual skill. During hardcore gameplay (Elites, PvP, timed), Sorcerers must have those skills at maximum strength. Few sorcerers will remove Arcane Shield or Fireball from their specs because of Consecrate. Arcane weapons exist to be used during fast-paced, hardcore gameplay. An arcane staff that takes 1.25 seconds to cast a weakened fireball and an immobile damage reduction field feels sluggish and is not up to par. Casting Consecrate is a huge sacrifice for Sorcerers who often must retreat from the AoE immediately after casting.

However, I think that Consecrate can be tweaked a little to make it remarkably useful while still keeping it in balance with the game as a whole. The idea behind the word "consecrate" is to bless, to make make something sacred - in this case the ground on which the spell is centered. Why not take the concept just a little further? In folklore, all manner of foul creatures cannot traverse consecrated land without enduring severe penalties.

1. Create a Perimeter - Drive back (push back) all enemies to the edge of the area of effect. This allows Sorcerers and other team members to stay within the AoE without having to retreat and lose the benefit of the spell that cost the Sorcerer mana and time to cast.
    2. Slow Enemy Movement Speed by 40% - Once enemies have been driven back, they can re-enter, but moving through consecrated ground is like travelling through muddy swamp water.
    3. Add Damage over Time - Enemies take damage walking on consecrated ground. It doesn't have to be a lot of damage, but at least a token amount. The spell shouldn't be too OP.
    4. Reduce Damage Reduction to 15% - for the purposes of spell balancing. If #1 and #2 are implemented, allies within the AoE will take less damage anyway.
    5. Reduce Initial Spell Damage by 33% - to help balance out the DoT feature.
    6. Reduce casting time to 1.125 seconds - just a little shaved off will make a big difference in how it feels to cast.
    7. Keep mana cost the same - the above changes would make it well worth the expense.

I hope my suggestions are well within the 'feasible' range, thus increasing the probability that they will be implemented. I understand and appreciate the overhead costs involved with re-examining and altering content that has already been released. I encourage other players to comment on my suggestions.

Edit: Based on feedback altered #2 from 70% msr to 40% msr. Increased #4 from 10% Damage Reduction to 15% to compensate.

Overall i like the ideas by Thundyrz :
    [*]Slow Enemy Movement Speed by 40% - Once enemies have been driven back, they can re-enter, but moving through consecrated ground is like travelling through muddy swamp water. >> i would think this option is good, but eventually enemies will be frozen with % chance like breeze AA this give mage some edge to counter attack.
    [*]Reduce Initial Spell Damage by 33% - to help balance out the DoT feature. >> not sure how you derive 33% but yes the cast damage should be dealing more since it cost mana and suppose to be like a FB damage would be ideal it will work like a time shift spell with DOT and should explode with close impact (damage).
    [*]Reduce casting time to 1.125 seconds - just a little shaved off will make a big difference in how it feels to cast. >> when charging staff skill, mage should be granted the invulnerability (+2 sec) of the time taken to cast this spell to avoid enemies given chance to attack caster. Why ? a full geared mage mage (imbue / glint with decent jewels) we are low in hp and armor compared to other 2 class.

+1 multiple consecrate spell should be allow and not cancelled by up to 2 arc staff mage when they are cast consecutively it should allow up to 2 spell cast maximum per team or give a wider range of the spell area like FB upgraded skill area.

No issues with mana cost if those above are implemented as part of the arcane staff updates to balance out staff imbalance.
    Last edited by will0; 02-22-2016 at 09:32 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to will0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts

anyway, will be great if we are given a clear indicator like dragon bite for the dot proc (for the one that give percentage based damage), and equally, to warrior's stun effect
    always milking, no service
    AL IGN: Extrapayah/Extraparah/Extrajelek
    Support Shared Pet Stable Please!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

Someone suggested that the consecrate spell follow the caster around. I loved that idea. That coupled with allowing multiple, UNSTACKABLE (i.e., the bonus does not stack) consecrate spell in a map would seem perfect to me, in addition to increasing skill damage. I would be okay with leaving the charge time as high as it is now of those were implemented. If the spell doesn't follow us around, then charge time should be reduced IMO.