Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This NEW engi skill -_-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would prefer using decay with protection. because protection will negates decay armor feature. so u dont have to worry about "plus armor" thing on mobs.
    ı guess pretty quick solution if u want to use this skill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by piyoni1 View Post
    i would prefer using decay with protection. because protection will negates decay armor feature. so u dont have to worry about "plus armor" thing on mobs.
    ı guess pretty quick solution if u want to use this skill
    ugh, no?

decay and protection both add armor. Protection adds armor to you, decay to the mob. They are independent. Plus armor on you means you die slower, plus armor on mobs means they die slower. You'd need to boost everyone's attack in the team by 1 to negate decay's armor bonus

Peacemaster 30 engi/Slavery 26 com/Skecor 25 OP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No one mentioned amplify pain, yet. Amplify pain is the operative skill which, when full 6/6, removes 120 armor from the target. So here's the balancing act.

AP lasts 5 seconds with an 8 second cooldown, decay lasts for 10 seconds with a 20 second cool down. I'll use the group set up and numbers from previous posts and say 84 damage is lost for 10 seconds, this would mean a gain of 168 from AP. Assuming this operative casts it twice while decay in cooldown it makes 336, or 252 gained damage after adjusting for decay on a 20 second timeline.

Does it make the skill worth it? Idk, I use it and like it, your mileage may vary.
    Someone else noted that using these skills effectively means more screen tapping and target shifting for maximum effect. I couldn't agree more.
    You may call me bits or giga...just don't call me at dinner time
    Gigabits-engineer(main)-Bitsoarmor-commando-bitsopain-operative-Bitsohelp-engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I did some quick trials in Outer Limits and Squatter Camps. The dogs in Squatter Camps take less damage than those in Outer Limits which is an indication that they have at least some armor. I wore some early power gloves which had the narrowest damage range of my weapons. I consistently inflicted damage from 19 to 23. Then I tried a couple dozen times right after decay. I struck 24 about five or six times and never below 20.

Far from conclusive, I know, but based on that I'd go with the hypothesis that decay causes -60 to enemy target rather than +60.

Feel free to confirm or dispute this...
    Last edited by Hullukko; 09-19-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaster View Post
    ugh, no?

decay and protection both add armor. Protection adds armor to you, decay to the mob. They are independent. Plus armor on you means you die slower, plus armor on mobs means they die slower. You'd need to boost everyone's attack in the team by 1 to negate decay's armor bonus

what?

for example:
    first cast protection u get armor "+60 armor"
    then cast decay mob gets "+60 armor + whatever dmg is"
    so u see u dont have to worry about armor in both sides...they negates each other.. .. just a simple logic.... only decays damage is essential.
    it is very very simple

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

They certainly wouldn't negate each other. That's just silly logic. There are a number of factor that affect armor efficiency, e.g. frequency of hits, magnitude of hits, crit, hit, etc. They are not symmetric and hence the effect isn't either. The armor effect is definitely not linear. And even if all stats were symmetric and all that, even then the armor buffs wouldn't cancel each other out because the fight would still last longer.

Picture this: I'm poking you with a toothpick and you're shooting me with a gatling gun. Then if we both put on, say, leather jackets, do you think they cancel each other out? No. My toothpick get blocked while your bullets will perforate me.

Besides, like I said. Based on the trials I made earlier, the decay would indeed seem to decrease enemy armor like the original description said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah yeah..an other factor is how my finger hits beside my finger is shorter...and also there is some dust on my screen.. it also effects.. lol..
    u are just trying to complicate the issue like a maze..it is funny bro.. i like that...
    actually i am a follower of KISS princible
    and u know this leather jacket example is very silly however poking someone with a toothpick is priceless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hullukko:421527
    They certainly wouldn't negate each other. That's just silly logic. There are a number of factor that affect armor efficiency, e.g. frequency of hits, magnitude of hits, crit, hit, etc. They are not symmetric and hence the effect isn't either. The armor effect is definitely not linear. And even if all stats were symmetric and all that, even then the armor buffs wouldn't cancel each other out because the fight would still last longer.

Picture this: I'm poking you with a toothpick and you're shooting me with a gatling gun. Then if we both put on, say, leather jackets, do you think they cancel each other out? No. My toothpick get blocked while your bullets will perforate me.

Besides, like I said. Based on the trials I made earlier, the decay would indeed seem to decrease enemy armor like the original description said.
    All I first read was "toothpicks" and a "gattling gun" lol, but I like to know that the results of you test showed that decay does -60 armor.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

he auto attacks with weapon for i dont remember 10 hits or so records the damage per hit then hits with decay and auto attacks for 10 or so hits records the damage and puts the numbers side by side and realizes he auto attacked harder when decay was in effect for those that dont understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezarf View Post
    It is 20-35 with +60 armour, hoping that is typo since name is decay would think so if not should rename it to fortify
    fortify nice!
    Agree! Hope i can cast to commando lol

Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules. J. D. Salinger The Catcher in the Rye
    Primary IGN: Elfwarden

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Kamikazees and Hullukko have independently checked and said that it is in fact a debuff of -60. Scroll down this thread for details:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...eech-and-Decay

Has anyone else tested it also? I am spending my weekend on planes and at weddings but I'll test it too next week. If it can be proven to be -60, I think the team benefit makes it a borderline must have Engineer skill.
    Infinite Union Officer:
    Firoth, engineer. Firothi, operative. Firothon, commando.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

even if it adds 60 armor to the enemy, this translates to an actual damage reduction of 1, maybe 2 tops. This really should have no effect on how quickly a mob dies if you are running with a good group. Just from experience, i have tried runs with and without using the skill, and using it doesn't seem to slow down mobs dying. I am a suppor engi, and i like have a couple dps skills that have a short cool down, so i think this skill is worth it. This is the same logic I have for the uselessness of protection, which really only offers a decrease of 2-3 damage for the group. This also should have no effect on your group's survival, once again, if you have a good group.
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

i've just spent about 30 minutes testing this out, using decay maxed and pain maxed:

before decay:
    pain min, 23, max 28 (aoe explosion - min 39, max 44)

after decay:
    pain min, 25, max 29 (aoe explosion - min 41, max 47)

But test it yourself if you are not convinced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sorry to burst the bubble, and thanks for spending your time testing, but the + in the skill description was a typo as pointed out in patch notes. It is a confirmed negative armor debuff to the target enemy. If you check your skill description you will see that it reads "-10" or "-60" if you have it maxed

Again, thanks for spending your time testing things out, I always highly encourage getting the information for ourselves as opposed to relying on what others have said.
    You may call me bits or giga...just don't call me at dinner time
    Gigabits-engineer(main)-Bitsoarmor-commando-bitsopain-operative-Bitsohelp-engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

haha, i found the the thread stating exactly what you just said too gigabits, of course that was after i spent my time testing it.... On a side note, i'd love to run with you in game some time!