Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Become a 'Star Guard' and Earn a Highly Exclusive Star Guard Emblem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    No offense Kal, but it's that perception of what SG's/GoA's are supposed to be that bothers me and pushed me to removing the label. Some, not pointing at you, seem to think that the title turns you into an STS employee of some sort. This wasn't like the AoA which one applied for, but we were chosen. IMO, if any type of expected and required responsibility came with the title, we should have at least been asked whether we wanted the title beforehand. But we weren't. Therefore to me, that just makes us no different from any player with a title and a shield as a reward.
    None taken lol.
    I see it like this: People should continue to be helpful...TO AN EXTENT. Assisting others with questions, helping them out in game, and VAGUELY(by this I mean suggesting things, not copy/pasting the rules and scolding like you're being paid to do so) pointing people in the right direction is what I think a Star Guard should do before and after selection. Going around preaching the rules, acting like a player moderator, dissecting every post for things that could be offensive or negative and saying that etc etc etc isn't allowed is what I think is NOT what a Star Guard should do, and sadly I see more and more people doing this on forums thinking this is helping and is what STS wants us all to be like. We have mods for a reason. We don't enforce the rules, we merely follow them. Some people understand the difference; some don't.

Again, I stand behind abolishing the program completely. Any time you have a reward for behaving a certain way, you're gonna get problems. It's a shame, and I don't even know if it's a greed thing, but as Apollo said; giving power to people, be it actual power (player mods) or implied power (current Star Guards), is a dangerous thing, and often leads to more problems then it solves. I can actually say I've lost good (internet) friends due to then gaining rank on me and changing for the worst.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. I'm very outspoken (everyone in my family is) and I tend to get too 'involved' in things I feel strongly about. Someone please tell me if I'm getting out of line.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Star Legends Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post
    None taken lol.
    I see it like this: People should continue to be helpful...TO AN EXTENT. Assisting others with questions, helping them out in game, and VAGUELY(by this I mean suggesting things, not copy/pasting the rules and scolding like you're being paid to do so) pointing people in the right direction is what I think a Star Guard should do before and after selection. Going around preaching the rules, acting like a player moderator, dissecting every post for things that could be offensive or negative and saying that etc etc etc isn't allowed is what I think is NOT what a Star Guard should do, and sadly I see more and more people doing this on forums thinking this is helping and is what STS wants us all to be like. We have mods for a reason. We don't enforce the rules, we merely follow them. Some people understand the difference; some don't.

Again, I stand behind abolishing the program completely. Any time you have a reward for behaving a certain way, you're gonna get problems. It's a shame, and I don't even know if it's a greed thing, but as Apollo said; giving power to people, be it actual power (player mods) or implied power (current Star Guards), is a dangerous thing, and often leads to more problems then it solves. I can actually say I've lost good (internet) friends due to then gaining rank on me and changing for the worst.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. I'm very outspoken (everyone in my family is) and I tend to get too 'involved' in things I feel strongly about. Someone please tell me if I'm getting out of line.
    This really got me thinking, and thanks for another great post Kal. IMO, Star guards and sg's should only serve the purpose of pointing members in the right direction, not telling us what to do (not that any of you do). If we choose not to take their advice then so be it. Its our loss. But i dont think a guard's job is to always be responsible for everyones actions. They should just be our guidance. They're roll models not police officers.

EDIT: And no Kal, youre the opposite of out of line. If we feel strongly about something we have the right to express our opinion. I feel the same way you do, that the system, or program i should say, is being abused for a status symbol. Again, not all guards are like this in fact very few of you are. But i can say this, nobodys perfect and i have had my choice moments with some of you. Im not pointing fingers and i have gotten over it. None of you should get demoted.

EDIT2: And really, this is all over a game. I think, and im guilty of this too, that some of us take things a little too seriously sometimes, especially for a game. I know its online and all that, and there IS going to be drama, but i think we need to slow down, take a deep breath, and think on the other side of things before we blabber all our defensive words.

(excuse my typing its hard on an ipod touch :P)
    Last edited by Mothwing; 11-22-2011 at 01:41 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mothwing For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Everyone. Just. Play.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=49319&dateline=131232  4660
    Cappinkiosk <Pay It Forward>
    -Dead Shot Mafia- Guild Master

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CappinClutch View Post
    Everyone. Just. Play.
    There we go!
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Confrats to the people who are SG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Ever since I heard about star guard and found Wat it means I wanted to be one but I've realized that being nice and just being able to play the game r a nice enough reward. Also congratulations to all the star guard from past present and future u all deserve it

SL: zombiemurder level 35 engineer skullkiller lvl 17 commando zombiedestroy lvl 3 operative PL: skullcrushed lvl8 archer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

OOHH!!! I want to be a star guard. Must be helpful and nice!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

I now remember why i stopped looking at this thread to begin with, and I'm going to fight the temptation to check here again next time it pops in my head..... Not to be offensive to anyone here, as i either know most of the posters here from the game or the forums, but after l read new posts i either get bothered or get a sense of de ja vu. I see valid points all over the place, but from my perspective, its just a bunch of posts that seem similar to the ones i read last month when i checked this thread, of people agreeing or kindly disagreeing with each other, with the random "how do i get in SG" thrown in. well, that's just how i feel, and i only post it bc i was planning to comment on another post (quoted below), not to cause problems. i'll also say that my opinion above is not personally directed at the poster i quote below.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeathc View Post
    Myself, I've only played SL for less then 2 months, and within those 2 months, I had a bad experience with a Star Guard, and it made me wonder what kind of person is this to have been labeled as a helpful player, or just been labeled enough to become a Star Guard, just to appear somewhat 'two-faced'.
    Hmmm, well, i have not seen ALL the SG in game, but i have seen some and have either some sort of communication with them on forums or seen there posts. All of them have be helpful players from where i stand. I've seen it in game for some, and on forums for all. So i will have to kindly disagree with you on this one.
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

21 gun salute to all star gaurds xD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A great idea, but I have never seen a star guard in the game. The this is probably because not many people know about it, so you should consider more advertisement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crilon:535602
    A great idea, but I have never seen a star guard in the game. The this is probably because not many people know about it, so you should consider more advertisement.

Actually quite a few people know about it, even tho they don't use the forums. Although i have only seen Eb and Oct lately, I'm guessing the others have some problems in life ATM.
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crilon View Post
    Theyre not seen in game because theres so few of them. And for a reason. Its an honor to be a Guardian. Its not like a guild, its more of a promotion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Urrr...
    Jugernuget (66) Proud Member of Hella Good
    <a href=http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=63456&dateline=1329747605 target=_blank>http://www.spacetimestudios.com/imag...ine=1329747605</a>

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mothwing View Post
    Theyre not seen in game because theres so few of them. And for a reason. Its an honor to be a Guardian. Its not like a guild, its more of a promotion.
    Not really a "promotion" either. I see no point in advertising Star Guards because really Star Guards are players that STS say thank you too .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crilon:535602
    The lack of Star Guardians as you state is not because alot of players don't know about it. To advertise it is to punch a hornet's nest. Think of it. If players acted the way they are. Themselves. Their personality. It'd be a lot easier to find the ones that'll help for no reward. IF they advertise people would change their normal personalities as if a dev is spying on them to see if they are qualified for SG.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cahaun For This Useful Post:

Luminary Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

IMO they should have a GoA or SG vote if they are going to have GoA or SG. People can do nominations and top nominations will be choices for poll. I think this could actually prove that the player being chosen has been helpful for a while, so less people who just answer a bunch of threads without reading them for a week get chosen. A lot of people repeat things and get chosen. They dont mean to but they dont check to see if the thread was already answered. These are the people who get chosen for GoA or SG that just do it for the shield. If someone does it for the shield I dont think they should get it. P.S. "No fingers pointed at anyone."

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swimmingstar View Post
    IMO they should have a GoA or SG vote if they are going to have GoA or SG. People can do nominations and top nominations will be choices for poll. I think this could actually prove that the player being chosen has been helpful for a while, so less people who just answer a bunch of threads without reading them for a week get chosen. A lot of people repeat things and get chosen. They dont mean to but they dont check to see if the thread was already answered. These are the people who get chosen for GoA or SG that just do it for the shield. If someone does it for the shield I dont think they should get it. P.S. "No fingers pointed at anyone."
    I think the current selection process is fine the way it is. Being a Star Guards isn't like being the president, as in they don't have any responsibilitys. Star Guards are players who are thanked by STS if they were voted for that would really undermine the whole program IMHO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

The program still exists...... news to me

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    The program still exists...... news to me
    Lol

Just yesterday the 3 remaining SG were in Blackstar answering questions and hangin out, It made me start thinking about new SG coming.. Unfortunately my top picks were you, Bod, and Cappin, and it seems both of ya have moved on..

Sure hope you make your way back to Blackstar soon and come say hi. It ain't the same!
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Awesome! Sounds like it was a Blast! You, Ghost and Hellcharger I'm guessing?

I'm sure I will, still going to Cap Bod, just not all my other alts lol. Been moving around a lot lately so not had time to focus on much except the other forum I'm on currently.

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o