Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A quick study in Pistol/Shield vs. Rifles and Gloves from an Engineers Perspective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Support is a tricky word. In a team everyone is responsible for something, usually divided into what they excel at. However, everyone can typically perform any other teammates job to a lesser extent but good enough to do it when needed. With the exception of being able to heal others.

With that said regardless of how little or much damage any build engineer brings to the group is another dimension of the support he or she can offer. The goal is to kill stuff and stay alive. Any effort to increase the speed in which that happens, regardless of primary role is supporting the overall goal.

I use the Incinerator because my stats with a 50 armor implant and my buff brings me to 662 armor 411hp and 437 mana. I could increase these numbers by switching to custom, but with the potential for new content soon I don't see the point of wasting the money. I can still dish out some damage to assist in the goal while managing to keep everyone, including myself alive.

Kikaider|40|Engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

Final update to OP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You can check here how well your assumptions about the stat page dps and damage range effect on skill damage fair in practice:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...l=1#post424602

Notice that the empathy tick difference is due to weapon damage range and that damage difference is carried out to other damage (and healing) spells, too. So while the incinerator indeed did yield 3 points more non-crit dps (*) than the widow in practice, the same 3 point loss in empathy ticks means 3 point loss in each spell amounting to a greatly reduced overall performance.

(*) The incinerator didn't do well with its crits compared to the widow, but in that regard the data was rather limited and a further study would be necessary to make a better claim about that. Same goes for the crushers.

Another thing I'd like to say it that I wouldn't put much emphasis on minor manapool size changes. Because as a 30/31, there is sufficiently anyway, and it's really the m/s that makes or breaks your mana. (assuming no blue potting, because if one does pot blue the mana pool size even more irrelevant) Health pool is a different matter, because that one is so easily pumped back to full with healing spells and it has a tendency to run out from time to time, so with that the buffer size is really more relevant issue.
    SoiledPants 41 eng, NoPants 41 op, PoofyPants 41 com, Hullukko (retired) 56 mage, NoPanties 21 vampire

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hullukko For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hullukko View Post
    You can check here how well your assumptions about the stat page dps and damage range effect on skill damage fair in practice:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...l=1#post424602

Notice that the empathy tick difference is due to weapon damage range and that damage difference is carried out to other damage (and healing) spells, too. So while the incinerator indeed did yield 3 points more non-crit dps (*) than the widow in practice, the same 3 point loss in empathy ticks means 3 point loss in each spell amounting to a greatly reduced overall performance.

(*) The incinerator didn't do well with its crits compared to the widow, but in that regard the data was rather limited and a further study would be necessary to make a better claim about that. Same goes for the crushers.

Another thing I'd like to say it that I wouldn't put much emphasis on minor manapool size changes. Because as a 30/31, there is sufficiently anyway, and it's really the m/s that makes or breaks your mana. (assuming no blue potting, because if one does pot blue the mana pool size even more irrelevant) Health pool is a different matter, because that one is so easily pumped back to full with healing spells and it has a tendency to run out from time to time, so with that the buffer size is really more relevant issue.
    Now I'm doubly glad I didn't do the testing as it was already done. Your link is in the op now, with thanks!
    Last edited by Deathpunch; 10-10-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Insightful, now rockin a shield n incinerator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Edit::..

I actually am not using a shield + pistol anymore; I noticed that for some reason I am getting more damage out of my attacks with the gloves. Perhaps because of higher Int??

On average on slouchO runs I will hit 3-5 points higher, consistently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meii View Post
    Edit::..

I actually am not using a shield + pistol anymore; I noticed that for some reason I am getting more damage out of my attacks with the gloves. Perhaps because of higher Int??

On average on slouchO runs I will hit 3-5 points higher, consistently.
    That's about right, as you gain 0-5 dmg and +5 dps, depending on gear, when switching from incinerator to crushers.

-----
    Sent from my HTC Evo 3D.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch View Post
    That's about right, as you gain 0-5 dmg and +5 dps, depending on gear, when switching from incinerator to crushers.
    ...and on the same you lose more than that on reduced spell efficiency, both in terms of damage and healing, compared to shield and widow.
    SoiledPants 41 eng, NoPants 41 op, PoofyPants 41 com, Hullukko (retired) 56 mage, NoPanties 21 vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Can we get an update for the 40 gear?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lazaras View Post
    Can we get an update for the 40 gear?
    you are still going to want to stay pistol/shield IMO. you may even want to go with the legendary/plat shield for level 35 instead of a level 40 pistol/shield combo. all the points still stand about damage output (green and red) as they affect the base damage of your skills. sorry to pre-ninja u DP (if that makes sense at all). I can go into details after work and post screenies if i'm not ninja'd

EDIT1/10/12: ummmm ok, today after work then, got carried away with other posts and PvP.....
    Last edited by LelouchX; 01-10-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*