Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thren's ENG Hybrid Build

Lady_Pebbles

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua:485647
    Pain only lasts 3 seconds...so ticking 5 to 6 times seems impossible.
    You sure you're not confusing pain with another skill?

and flaming? Read again, I gave countless suggestions to make it better. Everything I said was on topic and relevant. It's not flaming to disagree with someone.

Yes Im pretty sure. & yes flaming. As in regards to what someone else said to flaming so don't assume I was talking about you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Just to clear up the confusion on Pain ticking... it does not. It is not a DOT. It does have three effects though: initial single target damage for hitting your target, stun effect, and finally an AoE blast after a few seconds (which releases the target of being stunned and ends the series of effects caused by Pain). I think of Pain as an engineer tossing a grenade at his/her target. Target then goes OMGWTF then BOOM!!!! Lol.

The only skills in which inflict damage over time with ticks are Wither, Leech, and Decay.
    Last edited by Vladrac; 11-19-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Lady_Pebbles

Hmm, could it have been a glitch then? Seriously, I used it alone and it had ticked so I automatically assumed it did this every time I used it. o_O I shall change the OP then with the info though. Thanks! Meh, mistakes happen lol.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

How is Supp useless? Actually tbh all the skills given to us have all there pros and cons but none useless .
    Last edited by SuperNas; 11-19-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Pebbles:486020

Meh, mistakes happen lol.

Only if your human

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

What you have is similar to what i use but i avoid supression. I found it useful in numa really on those annoying green roach things, but that's about it. There are too many AoE skills now that supression only seems to last a second. I know a couple engis that use it very well, targeting backs of mobs, but they keep it at a relatively low level from my experience.

I love pain, and i guess you did have a glitch when you saw it ticking. The description may seem a little misleading, with 3 other DOTs seeing "3 seconds" in the pain description had me believing it was a DOT at first. It is useful whenever u are up against tank enemies or if others enemies are specifically targeted with this skill and then another enemy is targeted for auto attack so u can get the AoE.

Good job! engis rock in my book, i love seeing how different people customize them

Edit: I don't like double posting, but if i just edit my own post, its not a double post!!! (or is it?) Anyway, here goes.....

Teamwork is essesntial for this skill to be useful, PUG or guild run. since i never know for sure how well a group is gonna work together unless i know them all and have run with them before, i stay away from this skill now. my skill set is built to allow me to tank when no coms are around while still being able to support my group and deal out some damage when there is a com to lead. unfortunately, i can't fit suppression in my build and still be able to do that, and i hate playing my com so i want to be able to tank if needed. I'll leave supression to an engi who wants to dedicate themselves to support 100%.
    Last edited by LelouchX; 11-23-2011 at 04:16 PM.
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

ok in order to use supression well, you have to figure out which mobs are going to be attacked by others, would use it to say supress the mando while going for the engies on reactor, but you almost never get to use it properly because the others just spam on auto (too few pick out healers, guess they never really farmed pulse)... so basically yeah, it is useful, at one, no more, but only if you can read everyone else's minds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think Suppression gets witten off by many due to the fact that its effect is so easily broken in a typical run. As I started before, it certainly is an optional skill and is not critical in the current game. It's a fun skill to use but can also be highly useful. The drawback is the fact that it can disrupt your party's offense, but this is also avoidable.

Here are a few good uses for Suppression in Shipyard:

- mesmerize incoming healers during Hacked Load Lifter boss fight

- disrupt enemy healing, particularly with groups containing 2 or more healers (Suppression only needs to last briefly to achieve this)

- perfect for OH NOES! moments during a bad pull (Suppression can save the party from a wipe)

- suitable for splitting big mobs after a commando knocks enemies back

- for pure fun and LOLs, mesmerize enemies near a mine then have a commando or even a shield-wielding engineer set off the mine

These are just a few useful examples of how Suppression rocks. But again, this skill is not necessary to spec into, and you must be cautious of how you use it.

Lady_Pebbles

Yes see Vladrac pretty much mentioned some very good ways to use it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Pebbles View Post

Actually it DOES have effect on dodge and Mana Regen. i've tested it out. My Mana Regen goes from 3 to 4 every time I use it. Dodge (however) doesn't always go up. Im thinking the latter is a glitch or was fixed during the last patch update. Unless its an effect caused by using Rev combined with other player's skills to raise Dodge. o_O
    You're wrong. I'm sorry, but there's just no other way of putting it.

Rev doesn't have an impact on dodge stat, never has. And yes it has mana regen bonus, just like I said (+1 m/s, +1dmg, +1 armor, the "m/s" is commonly used here to denote mana per second, sometise "ms" and "mr" are used, too).

I can cite noneo's Engineer survival guide here written early this fall and my own documents and research on the topic made in august/septemper. I can cite having verified that yet again in game before posting that message. I would very much like to see your evidence on the matter.

As for the rest of your commentary on my suggestions, well, it seems you hardly even read what I wrote and you simply went all defensive and mostly made some silly strawman counter arguments. As if it ever was an argument. I have little to add to that if help is that well accepted.
    SoiledPants 41 eng, NoPants 41 op, PoofyPants 41 com, Hullukko (retired) 56 mage, NoPanties 21 vampire

Lady_Pebbles

It had added dodge regen for me before one of these recent patch updates. It kept fluctuating back and forth at one point as well. Which is why I think it was probably a glitch. o_O

And most of the stuff you said seemed repetetive to me so I skimmed through it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

*facepalm*

I give up...
    SoiledPants 41 eng, NoPants 41 op, PoofyPants 41 com, Hullukko (retired) 56 mage, NoPanties 21 vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

RE: Dodge

There are barriers scattered through Shipyard that add +5 dodge to anything standing close. Look for a purple shield icon under your name and a pulsating sign under your feet to know that the barrier is buffing you.

On one other note, Revive at higher levels has a random mana stim effect too. You'll hear the sound like you've just chugged a stim and see a blue mana number float over your head. This seems to mostly work in towns. Nice little addition if you're running to AH or stash between runs.
    Last edited by seilhpares; 11-26-2011 at 06:42 AM.
    PL: Seilhpares - Bird
    SL: Arthurdent -ENG

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seilhpares For This Useful Post:

Lady_Pebbles

I've noticed the pulsating barriers but as I said before, this was something that happened to me even before SY was introduced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Susspression does enough at rank 1, after that... its a waste of points during PvP. Also Pain is more effective at rank 1. And pain should be used first to immbolize your emeny, then goes Decay to lower their armor, then the DOT's should be used next. Im not criticizing you or anything, but I think this works best :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luellasky View Post
    Susspression does enough at rank 1, after that... its a waste of points during PvP. Also Pain is more effective at rank 1. And pain should be used first to immbolize your emeny, then goes Decay to lower their armor, then the DOT's should be used next. Im not criticizing you or anything, but I think this works best :P
    i use decay first, my slot is set up from bottom to top:
    decay, pain, leech, wither, and that is the order in which i use them in general.
    however, pain is great to freeze a healer, so i will use it first in that situation.
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Lady_Pebbles

Woooow. Haven't updated this in forever lol. Someone told me today they saw this thread & like the build so I was like damn, need to update this mofo lol.

I'll try to do it when I got time. My build at level 41 is a tad different now. I maxed out almost all eight of the skills I am using now (with rev still at one since I don't PvP as much). Suits my gameplay very well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    181 Posts

Well it is a pretty dern great thread :-)
    Almost forgot about this back from illi days.
    A true Star Legend...
    |SL: Eng-Artstar, Op-Demoneyes, Comm-Skullflower|

Lady_Pebbles

Thanks Art! I just updated it for level 41 & added/modified some info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Yay great Build.
    I was the Person that told you about th Build today. :P
    I'm using the Build rightnow and i think its pretty awesome.
    But i dont whether i should put all points into INT.
    I'm using INT/STR atm.