Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New player with a question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. This has helped me out alot. I should be able to afford a guttersnipe soon.

On a side note, I was wondering if I was doing my skills right. I have...

3 wither
    6 leech
    6 empathy
    1 revive
    1 force shield
    1 protection
    6 transference
    6 pain
    6 decay

Was gonna put my last 3 points into wither to cap it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Thanks for the correction, Newt. I shouldn't type stuff without checking. Duh! I know better...

There is no "right" way to build your skills but I do notice that you have 9 skills. You can only map 8 at a given time, but it will cost you two Plat to change it now. There is no point to having 1 in protection as 10 armor does almost nothing in this game. Having 6 or 0 in protection is the way to go. 1 force shield will be more useful to you for the mana regen bonus than it's added defense so use it between groups of enemies (mobs) rather than during the fighting action.

The key skills for an engineer are at least 1 in revive, 6 in empathy no matter what, and 6 in transference no matter what. Everything else is up to personal taste. Maxing wither, leech, decay and pain gives you a lot of damage over time skills (DoT) so you are a nice weapon in addition to your heals. Newt has a guide in this engineer forum for a good build if you like that. if you want to be more traditional support build, keep decay and 1 in pain (for the stun and explosion damage) but get out of wither and leech to max protection and suppression. Be careful with suppression though. It is hard to use effectively. There are other threads on this already.
    Infinite Union Officer:
    Firoth, engineer. Firothi, operative. Firothon, commando.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wholefnshow555 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. This has helped me out alot. I should be able to afford a guttersnipe soon.

On a side note, I was wondering if I was doing my skills right. I have...

3 wither
    6 leech
    6 empathy
    1 revive
    1 force shield
    1 protection
    6 transference
    6 pain
    6 decay

Was gonna put my last 3 points into wither to cap it.
    Unless you plan to actually swap skills in and out of your slots, it's not efficient to have skill points spread among more than 8 skills. you can only map 8 so anything in the 9th skill is a point you could use to increase the effectiveness of a different skill. Check out my build for engis if you want ([URL="[QUOTE=wholefnshow555;541752]Thanks for the replies everyone. This has helped me out alot. I should be able to afford a guttersnipe soon. On a side note, I was wondering if I was doing my skills right. I have... 3 wither 6 leech 6 empathy 1 revive 1 force shield 1 protection 6 transference 6 pain 6 decay Was gonna put my last 3 points into wither to cap it.[/QUOTE] Unless you plan to actually swap skills in and out of your slots, it's not efficient to have skill points in more than 9 skills. you can only map 8 so anything in the 9th skill is a point you could use to increase the effectiveness of a different skill. in my sig there is a link to "Newt's D.P.S. (Damage Plus Support) engi guild. It includes a "how to level" section (finally) and detailed strategies of how to use it on mobs and bosses. from what you posted, it looks like you are shying away from a full support build. I like to tank and deal damage, so that's what my build is about if you wanna check it out."(Newt's Engi Build). It includes a "how to level" section (finally) and detailed strategies of how to use it on mobs and bosses. from what you posted, it looks like you are shying away from a full support build. I like to tank and deal damage, so that's what my build is about if you wanna check it out.
    Last edited by LelouchX; 01-17-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Link fixed*
    Last edited by Ebalere; 01-18-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalere View Post
    Broken link, my good man. And yes, now I am stalking you. =.=
    fixed, and i knew you were stalking me before you were ready to admit it :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Not fixed yet, Newty, and btw, ninja'd!

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyache View Post
    There is no "right" way to build your skills but I do notice that you have 9 skills. You can only map 8 at a given time, but it will cost you two Plat to change it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by LelouchX View Post
    Unless you plan to actually swap skills in and out of your slots, it's not efficient to have skill points spread among more than 8 skills. you can only map 8 so anything in the 9th skill is a point you could use to increase the effectiveness of a different skill.
    Last edited by Teddyache; 01-17-2012 at 11:57 PM.
    Infinite Union Officer:
    Firoth, engineer. Firothi, operative. Firothon, commando.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

lol guys! I wanna be more support but I also want some good DoTs too. I know I should take the 1 point off protection but I have enough skills to max my last skill (wither). I am hoping we get a lvl increase when the new skill comes out and then I won't have an issue with my points lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyache View Post
    Not fixed yet, Newty, and btw, ninja'd!
    I hate being ninka'd (grrrrr). and the link is fixed, probably not the one in eb's quote of me, but it is in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by wholefnshow555 View Post
    lol guys! I wanna be more support but I also want some good DoTs too. I know I should take the 1 point off protection but I have enough skills to max my last skill (wither). I am hoping we get a lvl increase when the new skill comes out and then I won't have an issue with my points lol.
    If you wanted to go full support, ignore sonic boom as it is really just an aggro magnet imo. damage is good but cool down so long, i still love it for my purposes. You could go with suppression, but be sure you can use it well and don't spam it. it does combo with a com skill. CLICK HERE for info on combo's engis can participate in (link works, i checked haha). Suppression gets mixed reviews, some other players hate when engis use it, but any time i seen someone complain it was because it wasn't used effectively. when you use it, it stuns targets and your, and your teammates, auto attack will stop or go to an enemy not mesmerized. also, only use after you see coms unleash their AoE skills, bc any damage breaks it. can be annoying when used wrong, but helpful if used correctly. If you can fit wither it, use it, but definitely max out decay and leech for DoTs, decay decreases targets armor and leech heals you too. i don't like the force shield or protection really, but they are support skills. protection offers 60 armor to party maxed out, which isn't a whole lot, and the force shield will break pretty easily. pretty sure i saw some support build threads, check them out. i don't focus on support tbh. good luck