Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My beef with SL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ardon View Post
    That was because of the low quality gear. Since then epics and legendary have been added.
    Nope. The orange gear liquidation prices went up also.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

The reason why people say that about stims is because they are playing poorly. If you an engineer and you run up front, you are playing poorly. Same for ops. Let the commandos tank. That's their job. And try to pull and isolate the mobs. Remember Swamps before the nerf? Everyone said it was hard, but the good players said it was the best. Ops, focus your attacks on the mobs in back. They are doing what you should do, hanging back and attacking the high DPS. And if they win it's because you're not. Engies have many ways to prop up the party. We have enough buffs and debuffs to occupy most of our time, so it's unnecessary to prove that we engies are tanks. We're not, and when we die, everyone dies, so don't try to be a hero. It's a group game. When the group works together, you don't need to use so many stims.

But I will agree that the first boards, with the Juicers, is a stim trap. You can't even go in there with a level 10 and beat them without using stims. Just go on to Red Sun as soon as you get to level 3, which, with the Free Daily is about by the end of map 1. Come back for the quests when you are stronger. Red Sun is a better place to level new characters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atlannie View Post

I have some major, IMO, complaints about the dynamic in SL. I'll list them:

1. The economy in SL is terrible. Credits are very hard to come by making simple things like buying stims way too difficult. At level 40 I don't think I should have a dilemma when it comes to whether or not purchase stims. This has to be fixed IMO. At least give better value for liquidating items.

2. The drop rate for valuable items are way too low.

3. Voleria is a huge bust. And not because the content is bad. Its because of the people playing it. I'm not sure, maybe this has something to do with the gear that is available (i.e. farming options), but it is near impossible to join a game in Inner Core or Planetary Mantle that is looking to finish the map. Probably 29 of the last 30 games I joined run through the first leg and remake to grind XP.

4. Grinding 28K xp is harder in Voleria than 100k in Mt Fang in Pocket Legends. Why? Because its so boring due to item 3. I just can't bring myself to grind the XP. Sure, grinding by definition is boring, but when there is the possibility of maybe picking up some good gear it can be interesting.

5. Crafting gear is near impossible for a lot of people because the cost is such a limitation. 35k credits for 1 recipe? Come on. You know how long it takes to build up 35k credits? I feel sorry for the folks that are selling this gear for less than cost of the recipe. Still, not enough ig currency.
    1.) I don't necessarily think the economy is bad. I agree the Stims are over priced. I also think that it would help if we had more than 1 slot at auction to begin with to start selling stuff.

2.) Well in all honesty that's what makes them so valuable

3.) Well I am guilty of doing xp runs on these maps as well, but there are times when I will run a whole campaign. It just depends usually on what the people I"m with are doing. If you want to run some maps feel free to add me KingXaven and I would be more than happy to run some campaigns with you.

4.) On this I wouldn't know. I haven't played that portion of PL. In fact I started SL before I tried out PL. I tried PL a few times. I haven't gone back in awhile. I just don't like that game very much.

5.) Agreed far too expensive for the recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by flashbackflip View Post
    Well, maybe i'm reading forums too much but all this 'oh, SL suxx because..' whining starts getting on my nerves..
    I have to agree here but not so much at this post, but quite a few I've read on other posts.

Maybe its because I started in PL, but I love the way the economy in PL is. It can get crazy at times (new campaigns) but when its steady state its great. Just personal opinion I suppose.
    See this is what I don't get...Yes Stims are over priced on SL as we have discussed but on PL you spend way more on Manna potions. Which is much more annoying than not having Stims. At least if you don't have any Stims a good Engi will take care of you.

EDIT: And let me also add this. I would like it if SL continues to succeed. I think there are a lot great things about this game. I personally like the gameplay and toony graphics of PL better, but I like the theme of SL much more. I personally feel some kind of loyalty to STS games for some reason. So I'll continue playing them. If I had picked up SL for the first time instead of PL, I don't think I would have that kind of loyalty and I probably would never have tried PL.
    Meh no no no PL is hokey and your chars don't even walk they hobble!

Quote Originally Posted by ToPBoY View Post
    I seem to be doing alright from the SL economy, 2,100,000 credits, 2 Xray Visors and every other vanity drop ingame. You work the market correctly and you can gain credits easily.
    Humbly requesting tutorial on "how to work the market" good

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    The reason why people say that about stims is because they are playing poorly. If you an engineer and you run up front, you are playing poorly. Same for ops. Let the commandos tank. That's their job. And try to pull and isolate the mobs. Remember Swamps before the nerf? Everyone said it was hard, but the good players said it was the best. Ops, focus your attacks on the mobs in back. They are doing what you should do, hanging back and attacking the high DPS. And if they win it's because you're not. Engies have many ways to prop up the party. We have enough buffs and debuffs to occupy most of our time, so it's unnecessary to prove that we engies are tanks. We're not, and when we die, everyone dies, so don't try to be a hero. It's a group game. When the group works together, you don't need to use so many stims.

But I will agree that the first boards, with the Juicers, is a stim trap. You can't even go in there with a level 10 and beat them without using stims. Just go on to Red Sun as soon as you get to level 3, which, with the Free Daily is about by the end of map 1. Come back for the quests when you are stronger. Red Sun is a better place to level new characters.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Part of the reason for PV high drop rates is because they want to keep to their roots, casual game play. This form of casual playing is not keeping extreme players around.

A simple solution would be to lower the stats on the trash items/greens. Keep the epics were they are, and offer very low probability drop full set of legendary gear. Gear would be better then the crafted armor, but would be a lot rarer.

This at least provides players with options.

Full set of tier 2 epic
    Epic crafted items that are almost tier 1
    Legendary tier 1 gear that only drops on bosses. To encourage map completion, boss room only opens up after mobs are cleared.
    Or trash/green items and platinum gears if casual.

To fix price manipulation:

Players should not be able to sell a item back to the CS until 24 hours after purchasing the item. Also, limits of how many of one item you can sell at a time. This still allows for merchanting, but also provides a level of control/balance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post

Haha let the comandos tank... There are 40s on red sun that say you your a comando go tank! I'm thinking dude... He's lvl 7 your 40 who do you think should tank? You 1 hit auto them sheesh... And when comandos tank the engis NEED to heal and the Ops NEED to kill So if your a comando don't feel obligated to tank unless you got a decent pal or 2 or 3 or 4!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud Member of:
    <The Community Guild> PL Chars: Sryyoulose L76, swept L10
    SL Chars: Sryyoulose L40, Affair L28, XPLX L20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

#3. Voleria is a huge bust. And not because the content is bad. Its because of the people playing it. I'm not sure, maybe this has something to do with the gear that is available (i.e. farming options), but it is near impossible to join a game in Inner Core or Planetary Mantle that is looking to finish the map. Probably 29 of the last 30 games I joined run through the first leg and remake to grind XP.

Some people (including me) do not feel like doing full runs (1-5) to get 28000 xp you also can get more xp in 2 runs at inner core than a full run anywhere in Voleria
    Last edited by Taipan; 02-29-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Maybe if there was more incentive to reach the end, more people would do full runs. If only bosses dropped end game gear that would be cool. 5 maps are always the norm, so maybe each piece of gear (arms, boots, chest, back, helmet) drop at each boss. Going from arms to helmet as it gets harder. Pistols can drop at the 4th boss and the 5th boss would drop class guns and helmet.
    Main: Ardon lvl 41 Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Good incentive would be loots that only drop on the boss, not mobs or chests and only have a chance of dropping after a certain number of mobs are killed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Personally, my beef is that the later Dynastar levels require way too many stims. I've always thought that Dynastar was meant to more of a tutorial- esque map pack, as it's the one you get slammed in when you first start SL. The first 2
    levels represent this mindset, but other 3 = use all your stims and die or get someone high level to do your work. For a lvl 2-6 map pack, the Mad Doc hits my level 7 commando with premium armour and stuff for about a quarter of my health, which I think is kinda ridiculous. Red sun is definitely a better place to level up a low level character but I don't think many new players would know how to join a Red Sun game.