Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Issues surrounding the ELITE items

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Default Issues surrounding the ELITE items

Hi Forums,

Before any of you react, I like to point out that I've been very constructive about the entire issue, I was dragged down by flamebaiters that's the reason why a related thread has been put down. I will make this thread, because I feel, the issue is a concern of the entire community not just the few...we got word that Technoemail will be going out to explain everything come Monday. That's awesome, that's what we want, I never intended to flame, and so, I will leave you with the "root" of all my long winded posts, these are my theoretical questions that I hope be answered by Technoemail, I've always had an open mind, I just want to hear it from the devs themselves:

I was just wondering, what is the point of making it a "secret" if it were for advertising purposes? If it were a secret, was the entire plan was to make players believe that there are actually more players who has them when it's not the case...was that the ad they were trying to promote, because we all know about the elite items (unless you can't read the patch updates)? Please tell me, what good does it do aside from confusing the community and giving them false hopes of higher drop rates? Nobody knows these were "given" so most players will assume these are looted, thereby, making them more excited to farm, thereby, provoking them to spend more platinum which they wouldn't do had they been aware of the "actual" and "legitimate" drops (which was just 1 drop in the entire Alterra world at the time this issue exploded...I believe it's still 1 as of this post correct me if I'm wrong) :P

Why didn't they just declare that Saycred did this and that and therefore earns whatever, I've never seen a game give recognition on someone's contribution and keep it a secret (until now)...that will then make it a paradox...a secret recognition :P. So...can we all assume that this is "normal" practice for STS? They give "secret" stuff?...was this the first time or was this the first time it got "exposed" for everyone to see? :P

This single event gives every player the presumption that another player's "awesome" item is just a gift, who are we to say otherwise? we now have to take photos of every drop we get just to prove it was a legit drop. Do you see the ripple effect? :P (unless that's also part of the advertisement, it's not making sense as far as advertising).

It was only when someone saw Saycred wearing the Elite Items that they were forced to speak of this as advertisement, etc.? I don't recall reading anything that says Saycred wanted the info out...Did they go out and tell everyone, hey, let's all give Saycred applause, no, the forums had to force the issue first, was that part of the advertisement too? Did they plan that a lot of people gets upset first and let those players try to force the issue out before they declare it's an advertisement? wow what a breakthrough advertisement, not even Steve Jobs (RIP) can do that...you need to have ability to look into the future to know people will find your "secret"...oh wait, maybe...the person who discovered the "secret" was part of the act?...wow it's just getting more brilliant by the second. :P Sarcasm aside, if that were the case, then this is really a genius ad scheme, because it worked, everyone's talking about it now, but was it really the intention? upset us first, then divulge info later on? Does the end justify the means? :P

I find it amusing how people are "easily" buying into this advertisement without even dissecting the events that led up to this "predicament", and my opinion is not fueled by jealousy, If this was something like the other previous personalized recognitions (i.e. Buwanda) in the past (that were clear and proper, no ambiguities, etc.), then yes I'd be jealous, but I wouldn't want to be the center of a controversy like this, no sir, you can have it all.

It doesn't make sense, you have three guys (players) designing the "weapons" and got recognized by the forums, had their names imprinted on the weapons, and Saycred's contribution is a secret? (scratches head) major plothole? I also remember Cinco mentioning he doesn't want players to grieve in response to why there's no breakable items in the game...and this secret is obviously causing more than that (plothole again?). You have a staff named after a player (Buwanda) but Saycred has to be a secret? I don't think anyone would mind the elite Staff be named after Saycred if he really did contribute, that's better than this 007-esque method. It's just filled with plotholes...it doesn't hold water. I'm looking forward to Technoemail's official statement, as what Saycred told me in-game.

I personally like to be proven wrong. I am also a player, why would I want to do harm to a community I'm part with? But that also doesn't mean I will not be critical. It's a love-hate relationship, mostly love.

PS: Either that^ or this is just real bad advertisement scheme unless the intention was to promote flaming and hatefest :P

PSS: Make it constructive please, nobody is here to argue, we all want answers don't we?
    Last edited by vampinoy; 07-22-2012 at 10:03 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to vampinoy For This Useful Post: