Thread: Gold sink and the solution- Myth or Reality?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    173 Posts

Default Gold sink and the solution- Myth or Reality?

I was browsing through the forums (as usual) silently. And I noticed that the 50K gold payout has been replaced by the 30% DMG elixir kit.

There has been a lot of discussion going around about the need of a gold sink. But is this "gold sink" really viable? Let us examine the information we now have at hand.
    - Payout of 50K replaced
    - Replaced with DMG elixir kit (reading about the Kalizzaa's find of the year, I wouldn't want to invest in damage related stuff until the stat window is fixed. However I believe that the elixir will override other buffs as the highest buff should be counted. So Players would get a true 30% DMG buff, theoretically. Practically? I leave the testing to the pros.)
    - Kit sells for 15-18K (as I was told on Line by my friend)
    - On an average, a player suffers a comparative 35-33K loss (relating to the 50K replacement)

Now we already know that crates sell at around 11.5-12K (my prices may be wrong as I haven't logged into AL) and we are familiar with the rage moment when we usually loot the 2K gold trio. (Player suffers loss of 5.5-6K on an average for looting the commons)

Before I comment more, I would like the reader to read the following comments from some highly knowledgable players:

Quote Originally Posted by Rare View Post
    I disagree. There was plenty of gold. Just everyone was saving millions upon millions for mythic/arcane items. There was always plenty of gold.

Artificially injecting gold into the economy was a bad solution from the start. In fact, the suggestion I made is pretty much what Hio is talking about. Making the game more fun for people to play and making them WANT to play even if they don't attain the pinnacle of gear or status. Rather than constantly having a revolving player base with new players that have 0 gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by notfaded1 View Post
    For the most part I'm excited about the new changes Sam which is great... Like Candy I'm a little concerned about the gold from crates though. Removing the gold from crates is a bad idea. Already getting pinks that are worth less than the 2k 2k 2k payout is lame.

I also finally looted my first red arcane weapon and what was it... Lvl 26 hooks that are worth less than mythic daggers... this is ridiculous (outright ripoff) Yes I'm a rogue but at least if it was a staff or a maul it would be worth the thousands of crates opened to get first arcane weapon.

Either fix the Rogue Arcane Hooks (through an upgrade quest or something) or get rid of it altogether... huge disappoint getting hooks that won't even sell for what a glacian will sell for now. Considering the rarity (way harder to loot in locked than a red pet which is stupid rare already)

So let me get this straight you're taking the biggest gold payout which is like only 50k away so then what's left...

We spend 15 plat and 13,000 gold to get what... pinks that might sell for as little as 150 gold each o.O

Minus going through tons of crates looking for a Shard or decent redpet, maul, or staff what's left if not some decent gold payout???

Answer will be nothing unless ur interested in hoarding a bunch of snow vanities and holding them for year till their worth something... if anything something more of value should be added to crates as normal payout in gold or something else (if you make the elixirs something better than you can buy normally then maybe this could work?)... nerfing them is a bad idea though because if you don't loot something RED which is already next to impossible... then what is there as a consolation if not at least some of your 13k gold back or hopefully a little extra to make up for all the 2k 2k 2k and terrible pinks you keep getting in the last 10 crates???

Let's not kid our selves...
    (The pinks are worth something for the first couple hours they are available and some of the weapons are worth something for a couple weeks spiraling down in value the whole time)

I've opened a lot of crates and I can say... I don't have a lot of gold.
    So we can see that something wrong is going here. The concept of vanities in crates did drop to an extreme low and the price has remained low ever since. The Targe was an amazingly tanky gear in Shuyal expansion but we all know that it's value was quite meagre. (I don't agree to a few parts of the second quote though, except removal of hooks and their reintroduction later on)

So what solution(s) do I propose from this analysis?
    - (Courtesy Faded) Introduction of weekly or rather fortnightly stuff. Re coloured vanities being introduced every fortnight isn't a bad idea. This will result in more crate popping. That will result in the prices rising. That will result in the cash flowing from rich to the poor farmers (for crates). A few of the farmers buy these vanities. Overall, a win-win situation, is the bottom line.
    - Back in SI (and SII), most of the good gear came from Elite Copper and Elite Silver chests too. Introduce the hooks into these chests (remove from crates) with the odds so abysmally low (lower than odds of Talon. 1000 times lower). This will cause an impact on the economy.

~

This is just a short thread written at 5 am in the morning! Feel free to add your thoughts and ideas below in a civil and constructive manner!
    Last edited by Hiosahaf; 04-29-2014 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Spell error