So I have looked up plenty of guides on the internet for instructions on how to root my phone and get a custom rom. However, I am yet to find a guide that assures me confidence in actually going through with it, because I am aware of the consequences if you do it wrong. So I came here because I assume there a plenty of people on the forums that have a rooted phone and a custom rom installed that could (hopefully) give me some advice/instructions on the whole process.

So heres my situation: I have a Samsung Galaxy S (1st edition). I have been on my contract for almost a year and have already rooted my phone so I am not worried about voiding warranty etc. I have several apps that require a rooted phone (wireless tether etc.) that are very useful. However, my phone is often very LAGGY, very SLOW and sometimes FREEZES. I also take into account that this is due to the fact that I have a large number of apps, and I also use various apps like Advanced Task Manager and Memory Free etc. that are good for temporary boosts in running speed. It is to my understanding that downloading a custom rom can GREATLY increase my phone's running speed, and there is a certain rom called Darky's rom that is supposably very good for my phone.

There are a few things I am confused about: how to backup your phone using Titanium Backup app, how to install the rom and how to ensure that I don't go ahead and lose all my contacts, photos etc. on my phone.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. =]