Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
No offense Kal, but it's that perception of what SG's/GoA's are supposed to be that bothers me and pushed me to removing the label. Some, not pointing at you, seem to think that the title turns you into an STS employee of some sort. This wasn't like the AoA which one applied for, but we were chosen. IMO, if any type of expected and required responsibility came with the title, we should have at least been asked whether we wanted the title beforehand. But we weren't. Therefore to me, that just makes us no different from any player with a title and a shield as a reward.
None taken lol.
I see it like this: People should continue to be helpful...TO AN EXTENT. Assisting others with questions, helping them out in game, and VAGUELY(by this I mean suggesting things, not copy/pasting the rules and scolding like you're being paid to do so) pointing people in the right direction is what I think a Star Guard should do before and after selection. Going around preaching the rules, acting like a player moderator, dissecting every post for things that could be offensive or negative and saying that etc etc etc isn't allowed is what I think is NOT what a Star Guard should do, and sadly I see more and more people doing this on forums thinking this is helping and is what STS wants us all to be like. We have mods for a reason. We don't enforce the rules, we merely follow them. Some people understand the difference; some don't.

Again, I stand behind abolishing the program completely. Any time you have a reward for behaving a certain way, you're gonna get problems. It's a shame, and I don't even know if it's a greed thing, but as Apollo said; giving power to people, be it actual power (player mods) or implied power (current Star Guards), is a dangerous thing, and often leads to more problems then it solves. I can actually say I've lost good (internet) friends due to then gaining rank on me and changing for the worst.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. I'm very outspoken (everyone in my family is) and I tend to get too 'involved' in things I feel strongly about. Someone please tell me if I'm getting out of line.